Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,560,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Not sure what hubby is going to cook, because he's exhausted after spending 4 hours in the ER with me early this morning. I ended up with blood clots and now have to go in tomorrow morning and Saturday morning to have the blood thinner injected into my belly. Then I get to make an appt next week to test the medication levels in my system and to make sure everything is going well. I'm now sitting on the couch with a heat pack on my calf and an ice pack on my knee. Talk about conflicted feelings!
I feel for you, about 10 yrs ago after a pool accident I had a blood clot form in my knee, broke off went to my lung. Was on blood thinner for awhile. Best of well wishes and take it easy!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,560,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Barefoot is two bottles for $10. and its pretty good.
Barefoot here is $7.00 a bottle!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,348,672 times
Here's hoping that all of you folks under the weather start to feel better real soon and that whatever procedures may be necessary are successful for you.

Mom took boneless chicken breasts, marinated them in a lemon pepper sauce and grilled them. Then we had steamed sugar snap peas, broccoli salad, fresh sliced cucumber and tomato, roasted garlic bread and, for dessert, turtle pie.

No wonder I need to lose weight!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just want to add that it's no talent to find expensive wine that is good, but it's fun to hunt for the good cheap ones. My threshold.. $10.00 for wine... is the same as your's (at least for the wine I swill at the stove while I'm cooking).

I don't know how widely distributed they are but in my area I often pick up Spanish and Portuguese reds that are described simply as table wines in the $4-6 range, some are quite good. There's a Poruguese white known as Vinho Verde that's also pretty good.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
I can see now if I stick around here I'm going to get a whole lot more education like I've never had the opportunity of before. May even call it a whole new culture experience. Hey I'm used to sweet tea in a Mason jar, meat, potatoes, and greens. Now I'm moving up to cooking with wine and may be able to converse at the store like I know what I'm talking about even though I may not. Now for tomorrow nights dinner, well lets see. I'll be passing a liquor store or two so who knows. I had some fancy chicken dish a while back up north at Lake Mary that I may give a try. I know it was made with a wine sauce and boy was it good. If memory serves me at all it was served over a pasta dish. Now ya see what ya got this country boy doing? What next? I'm sure enjoying the ride though.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM

52,857 posts, read 48,369,916 times
Default Birthdays And Home-Cooked Meals

Hi, gang. I spent my birthday dinner at my mom's place. She fixed meat loaf, mashed potatoes, fried artichokes, green bean casserole, rolls, and apple pie. With that, I washed it down with mom's peach iced tea.

Hope you've had a great dinner where you are. Bon appetit!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,979,775 times
Awww molochai ...so sorry to hear about your visit to the ER! I hope all is well and those clots go away soon!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,438,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I can see now if I stick around here I'm going to get a whole lot more education like I've never had the opportunity of before. May even call it a whole new culture experience. Hey I'm used to sweet tea in a Mason jar, meat, potatoes, and greens. Now I'm moving up to cooking with wine and may be able to converse at the store like I know what I'm talking about even though I may not. Now for tomorrow nights dinner, well lets see. I'll be passing a liquor store or two so who knows. I had some fancy chicken dish a while back up north at Lake Mary that I may give a try. I know it was made with a wine sauce and boy was it good. If memory serves me at all it was served over a pasta dish. Now ya see what ya got this country boy doing? What next? I'm sure enjoying the ride though.
That's why I love this thread and the people who post here!!
A year ago I couldn't even figure out "what" to make for dinner much less how to prepare it and now I'm even starting to enjoy cooking and am learning so much daily from this thread! It only gets better with age!! My hubbie has been enjoying the new dishes and my attitude towards cooking too! It's been a win win situation!!
And thanks to everyone regarding the wines and names---now I can feel more confident when I go to buy one next time.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 AM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
By the time I get back from my little journey today there's no telling. So please load me up with ideas while I'm away Have a great day everyone.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 AM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
Default Wines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post

And thanks to everyone regarding the wines and names---now I can feel more confident when I go to buy one next time.
Cyn I dont think we told you the real brand name of 2 Buck Chuck....It is really "Charles Shaw" and it is sold at a store called Trader Joes. In California it sells for under 2 dollars, in other states it is carried by Trader Joes...but it goes at the exhorbinant price of about $3 .

I like the Cabernet Savignon for a medium dry (not sour) red served at room temperature and I like Chardonay for a dry (not sour) smooth buttery white wine....served chilled. Open red wine and let the bottle "breathe" for about 5 mins. before serving. Re-cork any left over as it will turn to vinegar left exposed to air for a couple of days.....I sometimes freeze left over wine and use it in cooking.

White wines don't need to breathe and are always served well chilled. I like white in the summer and red in the winter.....but red also goes very well with Italian cuisine.

Some nice white wines are Pinot Grigio; Chablis; and I am drawing a blank now.

IMHO Sherry and Sauturns <----(spelling?) are a bit heavy for cooking; marsala is nice in some dishes but again is a heavier flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink