Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 10:35 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
The smell of those self-cleaning ovens can be over powering, but I much prefer that way than the oven sprays and all the scrubbing and mess that we used tohave to do. My ovens (I have a stove w/a double oven) could use a good cleaning, too, but I think I'll wait till after the holidays and all the pies have been baked. I put a sheet of foil on a rack under whatever I think might boil over, too, but sometimes I misjudge. Bummer.
I have a double oven also electric oven and gas range top. I find the top oven is a little shallow and if the food sits up at all tall it hits the heat element and if it spatters (chicken) it makes smoke....so it is best for just simple bake items....would be great for someone who cooks frozen entrees.

The bottom oven is the convection oven and that is the one I love; altho I find the sliding and rolling racks to new fangled for me.....I cant figure them out.

Last edited by elston; 11-08-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 10:40 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
last night we had Pepperoni pizza and watched a movie
oh wow! I like pepperoni pizza! It's a typical type of pizza that I eat when I'm in USA!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I just put a pound of pork tenderloin in the crockpot, smothered it with 21 oz of cream of celery condensed soup, and set the crockpot on low. By 7 pm tonight, I'll take that out and spread it over some rice. Yummy stuff and darned easy to make!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Now Molochai you know you're going to have to share that one!
Here is the recipe. It's something out of a book and the author was kind enough to post the recipe on his website. It sounds interesting so I figured why not.

Spice Soup:

First, lightly brown some hot peppers in oil. (The little dried red peppers, often used in oriental cooking.) Be careful not to cook them too long, or the soup will be really spicy. After they're browned, take them out. Be sure to get all the seeds, too. I like to break up the peppers and put them in a vertical handled strainer and then lower that into the hot oil. After they brown this makes it easy to take them out. (You could also cook the peppers in a small pan and then pour the oil into a big soup pot through a small strainer, if it's easier for you.) (All the following ingredients should be cut up into bite size pieces.) Sauté 2 onions, and then mushrooms (about equal to the onions) in the oil.

After the onions and mushrooms are sautéed, add the following:
4 or 5 potatoes
3 carrots
celery
1 small zucchini
1 package frozen corn (or 1 can)
1/2 head of cabbage
2-15 oz cans of tomatoes (or 1 large one)
chicken soup base
dry parsley, crushed

Fill the pot with water so that it generously covers everything. After bringing it to a boil, cover and let it simmer until the vegetables are all cooked. It takes some time for the potatoes to cook. Add water as it evaporates. I like to let the soup simmer all day. It not only makes the house smell wonderful, but it gets better the longer it cooks. With chunks of fresh bread, it makes a hearty meal, especially on a cold day sitting by a crackling fire. Enjoy.

I think that I'm going to make it this way at first, just to get an idea, but I was thinking it would probably taste great with some beef tips or stew meat in it. Of course I would change the chicken soup base to a beef soup base if I did that.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Thanks and sounds perfect for this MN winter day.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:57 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,299 times
I just made my 'Taco Soup' and it is simmering in the crockpot!! When it's ready, I'll top it with shredded cheese and fritos and all I can say is........yum, yum GOOD!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:13 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
BB-had that for lunch the other day-so good.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have a double oven also electric oven and gas range top. I find the top oven is a little shallow and if the food sits up at all tall it hits the heat element and if it spatters (chicken) it makes smoke....so it is best for just simple bake items....would be great for someone who cooks frozen entrees.

The bottom oven is the convection oven and that is the one I love; altho I find the sliding and rolling racks to new fangled for me.....I cant figure them out.

The first one we had back up north was narrower than the one down here (different manufacturer), so there's a tad more room in this one. We use the top for things like reheating pizza or if we have something "short" like foil packets of fish or a small casserole or we're browning or broiling something. Our bottom can also be used as a convection oven which I just love. DH hasn't figured it out yet, tho! Also, our stove up north had the sliding/rolling rack in the bottom. No fun to clean. This stove, we can leave the racks in the oven while it's cleaning. Love, love, LOVE it!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Quote:
My cooking is much more simple since I started the diet....but it is working....today makes a loss of 15 pounds!
Way to go!!!!! Yay!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
.. what do you get an 80 year old woman who has everything?
Ummm....maybe an 80 year old man that "has" everything??
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Morning all, last night for dinner, hubby vetoed spaghetti so we had sloppy joes and french fries instead. Actually turned out pretty good and was a lot less work than the spaghetti so it worked out well.
We had spaghetti with meatballs! It sounded good when you mentioned it, and it turned out really good!

Quote:
I used the self cleaning feature on my new oven this morning...... What a stink! Glad we dont have any birds because that can kill them.
I have never heard this. What is in the fumes that kill the birds??? It can't be good for humans either???

Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Thanks for sharing that recipe molochai...sounds like it would be very good and warming indeed!

Bebette, never made "taco-soup" but sure sounds good. Mind sharing the recipe??

I have never cooked in a convection oven and have no clue how it works. Hey, I'm still leaning in the old fashioned ovens! I can however do microwaves! See, I'm coming right along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink