Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times

Advertisements

Morning Elston-never could find it in NJ-but it's a regularly available cut out here-it is excellent as a pot roast.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Southdown, that bug looks gosh darn cute BUT I bet you don't think so Get well soon...

Well, everyone seems to be doing alright today.... Hopefully we make it through the day 100%... it is my Grandmother's 80th birthday party- a total surprise she has actually been working on with my aunt. My uncle has flown in from Hong Kong, her bro is in from Atlanta, all of her neices/nephews, kids, grands.... she thinks it is just a HUGE (75+ people) coming to hang out.... She even ordered a birthday cake for my uncle and cousin!!!!! Everyone is coming for her.... like 75 people would be flying in to just come for a weekend event for no reason LOL She is so funny.... TONS AND TONS of food.......I am making my Low Fat Crab cakes from Oprah's old cookbook IN THE KITCHEN WITH ROSIE.... they are very good and I can post the recipe later if anyone wants them.... And same garlic bread with Caponata (my favorite and quick and easy after the crab cakes)..... But it is and IRISH family gathering so there is going to be SPIRITS a plenty and sweets and food until the cows come home.... we may not be Italian- so it isn't tomatoes and cheese- but one thing I have learned being married to one is we do a lot of things alike!!!!! I am looking forward to it and Hubby has been BANKING his WW points for tonight all along...... I am going to PARTY!!! LOL.....

Nomad.... Isn't today your family reunion? Have a blast.....

Elston, Good Job.... losing wt isn't fun and isn't easy... but it is rewarding....

Well, I am off to sip my coffee and then I must get started on those crab cakes.... still have to get Gma her gift... what do you get an 80 year old woman who has everything?

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Skbs...photos are always a good bet. Maybe fill up a picture album of family photos? Those always go over really good with me!

Oh my elston! You have done wonderfully on this diet and healthy eating. I am so proud of you! Keep it up my friend!

Lacey, guess Mr. L "really" wanted his morning paper! Ha! He "must" be feeling better!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 AM

Is the beef arm roast also called an "O" bone? I loved those in CA but here in NC I can't find either an arm roast or an O bone! Just real basic roasts here it seems. Hmmmmmmm

Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Oh Cyn-he has to have his crossword!!!!

SKBS-sounds great and I agree with Cyn-photos.

Never heard of "O" bone-isn't it funny how different parts of the country are. This is boneless, lean and about 3" thick.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:57 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Here just found my recipe in my email from my mom (she is my cookbook LOL)..... Two crab cakes per serving and it is 2.4 grams of fat and 252 Cal.... Not too bad if you ask me!!!!!!!

One Pound Crab meat
light Veg oil cooking spray
one teaspoon parm cheese
one tablespoon chives
one large whole egg or two large egg whites
one tablespoon old bay
one teaspoon Italian season
two tablespoons chopped jalapeños
one teaspoon baking powder
two tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
one teaspoon Worcestershire
one cup unflavored bread crumbs

preheat oven 400 degrees

coat baking sheet with cooking spray
]in large bowl combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Stir in crab meat. Using ¼ cup for each cake, form the micture into 8 cakes. Roll each cake in the reserved bread crumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Coat the crab cakes lightly with cooking spray.

Place baking sheet on bottom shelf of oven and bake five min per side/ until brown

Last edited by skbs; 11-08-2008 at 06:51 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 AM

Sounds so good. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Good morning everyone. We are waiting for the sun to come out. We have to go outside and hook up our other 6 solar panels. Then we should really be producing some power with 12 solar panels and 2 wind generators. Woo hoo.

Haven't decided on dinner yet but I'm sure it will be edible, LOL. Maybe breakfast food or "brinner" as my step grandson(?) calls it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Well today I took it easy I took left over spagetti to MIL. She has been under the weather. I then went from there to my dad's to bring him dinner as well. We had antipasta salads for dinner tonight. Really good and good for me.

Bday party Sunday not sure what I am making.
You're a good DIL. Have a great time today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
yuppie yuppie yuppie..tonight..PIZZA!!
I bet you get "real pizza" and I thought NY Pizza was the best. Mangia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
It's back out to the yard today and hopefully make a bit more head-way out there. Now I have to rake up all the bark I put around the whole garden so I can repeat digging for any possible missed bulbs. At least all the obvious bulbs are out and the weeds are pulled! Whew!
Have a good day in the yard and take a nice hot bath tonight. Next year I am doing my first vegetable garden "ever" and I can't wait.

Lacey- stay warm today.

skbs- Have a great time at the party. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,965 times
Good morning to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
What kind of fish do they use for the traditional fish fry up your way....is that fresh water perch or muskie or is it salt water fish?
The standard is cod, but there are also perch, walleye and a few others that are popular as well.

Today I am putting a pot roast in the oven with some rutabaga, potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. I'm also going to try a new recipe out for Irish Root Soup. I had it in an Irish restaurant in Green Bay a while back and absolutely loved it. I really hope it turns out as good as that one!

We woke up to a nice layer of snow this morning, so it seemed like a good day for some good comfort food. It's still snowing and the kids are out playing in it before it turns into rain later today as it is forecasted to do. My son already has a snowman made!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:01 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,068,071 times
last night we had Pepperoni pizza and watched a movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.