Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times

Advertisements

I know she likes marashino. Now booze preserved my be what I need to try out on her. Candied? Are those the kind my mom puts in our annual fruit cake? I may like the dried dark bitter cherries. Never heard of them before. I like sour cherries like go in pies. I think we are on to the new dinner dessert of the month.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,231,547 times
Tonight was stir fried chicken breast strips, sauteed in a tad of butter and garlic, along with bits and pieces of leftover veggies from the fridge, served over linguine with a little more butter & garlic. Yum!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Tonight was stir fried chicken breast strips, sauteed in a tad of butter and garlic, along with bits and pieces of leftover veggies from the fridge, served over linguine with a little more butter & garlic. Yum!

Sounds good.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,920 times
I made my hobo meal - hamburger, onion, baked bean, tomato sauce - spiced up. At it with bread - the kind of meals you imagine you're seeing in old Westerns.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,064,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I know she likes marashino. Now booze preserved my be what I need to try out on her. Candied? Are those the kind my mom puts in our annual fruit cake? I may like the dried dark bitter cherries. Never heard of them before. I like sour cherries like go in pies. I think we are on to the new dinner dessert of the month.
So she likes them all....or you do...or...?

Candied/glace cherries are bright red, IMHO taste nothing like cherries, just taste like sugar really. They do tend to go in mom's fruit cakes Maraschino ones taste of almonds more than anything, and are equally neon-red or even green but if she likes them....

Dark, slightly bitter dried cherries are dark and sour, and go soooo well with dark chocolate, possibly fudge (and rich food like duck...bit off-topic tho).

Results of a quick search look promising... CHOCOLATE CHERRY FUDGE Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes

Paula Deen Recipe: Cherry and White Chocolate Chunk Fudge Brownies

Cherry Chocolate Fudge Recipe | Recipezaar

and a boozy one Baileys Fudge Recipe | Recipezaar

and this one looks great; Cherry Eggnog Fudge http://www.recipezaar.com/266296

all look very

Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,781,209 times
So it has been a long and pretty good birthday weekend. Went to the French Quarter in New Orleans on Friday night. Had a very good time. My oldest daughter and her son had a good time on Saterday. We had a great bonne fire that night and all 3 girls were here Sunday to visit and cook. Great big stew that was wonderful.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
So it has been a long and pretty good birthday weekend. Went to the French Quarter in New Orleans on Friday night. Had a very good time. My oldest daughter and her son had a good time on Saterday. We had a great bonne fire that night and all 3 girls were here Sunday to visit and cook. Great big stew that was wonderful.
Lobsters next year right? We can always plan and dream can't we?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM

849 posts, read 1,954,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I made my hobo meal - hamburger, onion, baked bean, tomato sauce - spiced up. At it with bread - the kind of meals you imagine you're seeing in old Westerns.
Boy, that sounds yummy right now! Comfort food!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,355,636 times
My son and two of his friends (19,18, & 17) were underfoot while I was trying to fix dinner, so I put them to work. They learned how to make a roux for a white sauce. We added four or five different cheeses, boiled some corkscrew pasta and made baked macaroni and cheese. We also made garlic bread, 4-bean salad, and hot homemade cinnamon applesauce- I add those little red hot candies to the apples while they are cooking: looks pretty, smells heavenly and tastes even better. Topped it off with a lemon poppyseed bundt cake that I made yesterday; come to think of it, some of them helped on that too- learned how to zest lemon, and how to make lemon confectioner's sugar glaze. My son thinke I should teach an enrichment class for teenagers through community education. They have kitchens at the high school even though they no longer teach home ec.

Last edited by MICoastieMom; 11-02-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: I reallyhave got to find my glasses-too many spelling errors

Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
My son and two of his friends (19,18, & 17) were underfoot while I was trying to fix dinner, so I put them to work. They learned how to make a roux for a white sauce. We added four or five different cheeses, boiled some corkscrew pasta and made baked macaroni and cheese. We also made garlic bread, 4-bean salad, and hot homemade cinnamon applesauce- I add those little red hot candies to the apples while they are cooking: looks pretty, smells heavenly and tastes even better. Topped it off with a lemon poppyseed bundt cake that I made yesterday; come to think of it, some of them helped on that too- learned how to zest lemon, and how to make lemon confectioner's sugar glaze. My son thinke I should teach an enrichment class for teenagers through community education. They have kitchens at the high school even though they no longer teach home ec.
That's a bummer. Home EC should be a requirement to learn how to survive. Well at least there are forums for them like this one. That is the bright side I guess. I learn a lot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.