Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,100,696 times

Advertisements

I used mine yesterday to make a couple baked potatoes. So much faster in a microwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,867,285 times
I cook from scratch so I don't use mine as often as some. It is very handy for boiling water, melting things and steaming fresh vegetables in my microwave steamer.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,414,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mine caught fire a couple weeks ago, so it's been that long.

I would say that's a gross generalization made without reading any of the responses in this thread.

obviously its a generalization, obviously microwaves are used to reheat stuff you have in the fridge or food you froze...however there are several large freezer sections in the stores with boxed micrwaved dinners, pizza, hot pockets, popcorn and other shhh

those items arent exactly high on nutrition value

Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,456,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it IS true!!!!

Why does food NOT TASTE AS GOOD after being subjected to this crap?? (Like my mac and cheese)

Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food - NaturalNews.com

Learn something new today, Dude.
Do microwaves “nuke” the nutrients in food? – denialism blog

Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it IS true!!!!

Why does food NOT TASTE AS GOOD after being subjected to this crap?? (Like my mac and cheese)

Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food - NaturalNews.com
Lol! Natural News? You can't be serious. Do you have any information from a REAL website to back up your claim? Natural News, indeed.....

NaturalNews.com (formerly Newstarget) is an anti-science conspiracy website founded by Mike Adams which promotes assorted woo. The site particularly specializes in vaccine denialism, AIDS/HIV denial, quack cancer medicine and conspiracy theories about modern medicine. NaturalNews promotes quantum woo, specifically to do with many worlds and quantum consciousness.The site also advances a hard green position and promotes conspiracy theories about Obama and gun control. Even other quacks think it's a quack site.
If you cite NaturalNews on any matter whatsoever, you are almost certainly wrong.

NaturalNews - RationalWiki

Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 PM

16,398 posts, read 30,317,791 times
I use the microwave for the following:

1) Heat up a single cup of coffee/water/tea - cheaper than turning on the stove.
2) To soften butter.
3) To warm up leftovers (soups, chili, etc.)
4) To sweat vegetables in preparation of further cooking.
5) To hasten the baking of potatoes (10 minutes in the microwave reduces the required baking time to 20 minutes in the conventional oven).

Could I live without it? Sure. but why?

There are a lot of things that microwaves are NOT good for and I use something else on those occasions.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
obviously its a generalization, obviously microwaves are used to reheat stuff you have in the fridge or food you froze...however there are several large freezer sections in the stores with boxed micrwaved dinners, pizza, hot pockets, popcorn and other shhh
Nice try. There are even more freezer, refrigerated and nonperishable sections filled with foods that also can be microwaved, either in their original forms or in combination with other foods.

If you're trying to say that using a microwave equals poor nutrition, you're failing mightily.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,238,014 times
Last time we used the microwave was to heat up some goulash from the day before. It tastes better straight from the oven, though.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM

106 posts, read 116,951 times
I use it mostly to reheat things or for frozen foods! Also, once in a while to further cook a steak that is nicely browned on the outside (George Foreman Grill) but still too bloody pink when cut!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,612,599 times
I use it to see what time it is.

Also probably once a day for something else, heating water for coca, softening butter, browning hamburger, cooking bacon for my favorite summer sandwich (BLTs), steaming vegs. Popcorn. I use it to make chili from a microwave recipe book that I got in 1978, along with my first microwave. I'm on my second one now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink