Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 05:32 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,752,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Nah, actually I was reading about inflation and deflation and how computers were basically getting to the point of costing less to buy a new one than fixing the old one, and discovered that microwaves used to cost about $26,000 when they first came out. Not any more, .
What!? Whoa.

I don't know about the very first ones, but we had one back when no one else I knew had one... small town, mid 1970's. It was huge, with rotary turn dials. I am not sure but I always assumed my parents had brought it back from Japan, because everything we had that my friends didn't have seemed to have been brought back from Japan. I don't know though. My father was in the Air Force, worked in supply, we always had weird stuff. We had that huge microwave until I was in high school. The controls stopped working long before that though, you had to "count" or use an external timer and if you went off and forgot you'd come back to burned food, happened fairly often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
I make the meatballs in the microwave from scratch, every Monday. I reheated the coffee this morning; hubby puts the pot on at like 5 in the morning and I don't get up til after the coffeemaker turns itself off some days. I always nuke potatoes when I want baked potatoes. They come out perfect every time.

I use the microwave to steam vegetables too. SO easy, and they come out tender and delicious in just a couple of minutes. While I don't normally cook microwave popcorn, I -do- use it to melt the butter for regular popcorn. And of course I use it to melt butter when I'm making my apple crisp.

Also - just an FYI: according to this engineering professional website: http://www.smecc.org/microwave_oven.htm - the first home model of a microwave oven was offered by Tappan for $1250. The Radarange, which predated Tappan's and wasn't marketed toward Mr. & Mrs. Suburbia, was available for up to $3000. That would have been ridiculously expensive for the time (prior to 1970), when you could buy a *house* on a half-acre, with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a 2-car garage, built-out basement, a deck, and an in-ground pool in the back yard for under $30,000.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,346,330 times
I use mine all the time. Last night I made corn on the cob....4 minutes an ear. I don't remove the leaves, so it basically steams itself cooked with no loss of nutrients.

Otherwise I use it to store bread, butter and other food. My cat is a thief. If it's even vaguely edible, he'll make off with it.
He was licking the butter dish clean every night and I thought I was losing my mind.
"I could have SWORN I put more butter in that dish!"

Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM

794 posts, read 1,410,958 times
I use mine daily, mostly for defrosting things and cooking porridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I only use mine for stuff like heating small amounts of water, I don't use it for actual cooking.
Is your kettle not functional?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,762,668 times
Everyday just about. Like everyone else stated.

My favorite use is home made lunch bag popcorn.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,655,036 times
I used one twice tonight. But a friend of mine doesn't have or want one.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,506,427 times
The last time I used a microwave was about an hour ago. We use our microwave alot, mostly to reheat leftovers.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Probably last night, to steam vegetables. Most of what I use it for is steaming veggies, reheating leftovers, and popping corn (just regular popcorn in a NordicWare bowl).

Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Care to expand on how and why you do this? I've used the microwave for baked potatoes, and admit it doesn't give the best results, but I don't always have 45 minutes to bake a potato in the oven.
Partially cook it in the microwave and finish it in the oven or on the grill.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,694,121 times
I currently do not own one and haven't for about 6 months now. If I had one, it'd probably only get used to heat up water. I cook but rarely have left overs as I don't care for the taste of some reheated food. Like pasta for example. I don't like reheating pasta as it taste bland, bloated, etc. Takes on an "over cooked" feel and flavor. In the extremely rare case where I buy frozen dinners or pizzas, etc, they taste better cooked in the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink