Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times

Advertisements

There's a popular conception that microwave ovens zap all the good stuff in our foods, like essential vitamins and minerals. But is it true?
The answer is no. And in fact, microwave ovens often retain more nutrients in our food than conventional cooking.
All cooking degrades the amount of nutrients in our food, but there are several factors to consider, including the amount of heat being applied, the amount of water used, cooking time, and the nutrients involved (e.g. folic acid and vitamins B and C, which are found in vegetables, are the most heat-sensitive water soluble vitamins).
Microwaves, because they tend to involve shorter cooking times and less heat, tend to exert less destructive effects.
Do microwave ovens kill nutrients in food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 03:57 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Yes it IS true!!!!

Why does food NOT TASTE AS GOOD after being subjected to this crap?? (Like my mac and cheese)

Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food - NaturalNews.com

Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it IS true!!!!

Why does food NOT TASTE AS GOOD after being subjected to this crap?? (Like my mac and cheese)

Microwave ovens destroy the nutritional value of your food - NaturalNews.com
We all need to take some of this stuff with a grain of salt. There is a place for micro waves, get stuck without one after you are accustom to having one: it is a real downer, but most of would not want to use one for all or even most of our cooking. I do not think microwaving you mac and cheese to heat it up destroys all the nutrients. We can all find articles that make claims we would like to see made. I get we can find one today which disputes the one you are using.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:06 AM

13 posts, read 10,256 times
I use my microwave for re-heating food, defrosting meat, heating water for tea and melting butter. I use it pretty much everyday for one of those things.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Yesterday, I thawed a pound of bacon in it.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 AM

487 posts, read 749,178 times
I love my microwave. I use it to steam veggies, to partially bake potatoes before finishing them on the grill or in the oven, for reheating leftovers, defrosting frozen meats, etc. I also turn on the nightlight underneath (mine is mounted over the stove) and then the inside of the microwave itself warms up to the perfect temperature for proofing yeast dough. I really don't make microwave popcorn in mine because ours will reset itself afterward for some reason and then I have to reset the clock. I like making popcorn in my wok anyway.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,453,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
10 minutes ago.

What I'm getting at, is that something was "wondrous and unique" not so long ago, has become a ubiquitous bit of kitchen ware. Who doesn't have ... or use... a microwave oven?
Microwave oven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember when my mom got her first one. You could cook a turkey in it. It had a thermometer. There were hard cover cookbooks, with some incredibly terrible recipes in them. I recall one, was "Microwave a pat of butter 'til liquid in a microwave safe cup. Place a cracked egg on top of the butter. Microwave on high for 2 minutes... I can't remember if it was 2 or 3. What that does is make a rocket powered egg explosion machine in your microwave. They had no clue. I was peeling that egg off the top of the oven and scrubbing forever.

Yesterday. I normally am not a microwave user - it all depends on what I am having. I'll never cook frozen food in the microwave for example, or food in general. I'll rather put it in the oven, wait a little longer and have it taste better.

I more use the microwave if I need to have a snack like popcorn, or queso. yesterday for a snack I had tortilla chips and queso, and I used the microwave for the queso.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
10 min. ago to heat up some leftover spaghetti for breakfast.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,413,282 times
I would say that majority of the time people use the microwave it to heat up things with not much nutritional value to begin with

Eat Fresh food if nv is a major concern to you

Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Mine caught fire a couple weeks ago, so it's been that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
I would say that majority of the time people use the microwave it to heat up things with not much nutritional value to begin with
I would say that's a gross generalization made without reading any of the responses in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink