Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
agree again - I think like shark attacks, the media has made these storms very sensational for the rest of the country to draw viewers.....we probably fall for the same stories when we see those winter blizzard stories during January/February.....
It's been a big thing since around 2004. Home depot and the new chans are in it together so they can sell more gore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Your rhyming shtick is cringe worthy.
I know our blazing above normal temps are cringe worthy year after year dear year round.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:55 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..and every time they put the sacrificial weatherman...right on the beach...telling us if we don't leave we're all going to die
On a plus side, our state's overpopulation has become a big negative for me. Maybe the hurricane scare will make people think twice about relocating here. (But all these folks moving here has helped home prices go up.)

Old 09-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Even a direct hit doesn't scare me. Have a decent home with proper wind mitigation. It's the disruption to life that is annoying. I certainly wouldn't be scared to move here because of it. We throw hurricane parties. We have multiple generators, fuel, food, supplies, etc. And our house is built to the latest hurricane code (after 2002 I believe).
I'm going down like a clown with a frown no matter what comes my way. Been waiting since 1963 and nothing so much as a twig has blown away jay. But our number is coming for a super CAT5 with gust to 230mph. That is how i plan to die or a nuke war if it is before my time. Without A/C lee for months i would wanna die anyways.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
On a plus side, our state's overpopulation has become a big negative for me. Maybe the hurricane scare will make people think twice about relocating here. (But all these folks moving here has helped home prices go up.)
Not a chance lance. We don't get enough storms to scare anyone away ray. Been here over 55 years and nothing yet. They will just keep coming.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..and every time they put the sacrificial weatherman...right on the beach...telling us if we don't leave we're all going to die
In the panhandle, it is the ceremonial chaining of the WMBB intern to the Hathaway Bridge ahead of the storm. That kind of thing looks really really good on the audition tape for the next job when you're trying to move on to a top 100 TV market and make more than $18K a year.

Having said that, 95% of the time the biggest question about a named tropical storm is whether it's going to impact Friday's high school football schedule and a Hurricane Watch does not automatically mean game cancellation.

It's the last 5% of storms that will get you. Michael was actually pretty underreported by the national media once they got their obligatory Mexico Beach devastation shots in and there are a lot of parts of Panama City proper that still look like it's October 13, 2018. For us, it was the near miss (about 60 miles) by The Big One and the storm and lack of recovery spooked us enough to take Jacksonville and greater Tampa off the possible retirement spot list.

(Yeah Denver, currently the top of our list, has its own hazard concerns but when you talk about the Yellowstone volcano being overdue to erupt, that's still probably another 50K years before it's truly a concern)

Old 09-03-2020, 06:31 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Yes, it's true, if Alaska was their state, I would be moving there. Many have stated in the other thread that I am a helicopter mom/grandmother, quite the contrary. I raised all of my 3 kids to be responsible, successful adults. They all have their Masters degrees and hold very good management positions in the aerospace field. I "let them go" many years ago, hence their ability to move across the country and be successful. They ask me continually "Mom, when are you guys moving here?"

The good news is that I have 2 Papillons that have a combined weight of 16 lbs. Hopefully, they will qualify in renting a condo/house.

Best,

Reddog53
A lot of Florida rentals in HOA communities do not allow renters to have any pets regardless of weight. I have a rental property in Florida and I can't tell you how many people with pets are desperate to find a pet friendly rental and tell me, "but my dogs are so well trained, they're the best thing since sliced bread, they have papers that prove they're my support animals, etc." Just be prepared.

I'm happy for you that your grandkids don't live in Alaska. LOL

For some reason, it seems to me that some Grandmother's put the grandkids above all else. Nothing to do with the Grandmother's kids that they raised. I see this in some of my friends and families. Whatever makes you happy is all good!

I think it may become a problem when it causes a problem with your spouse. I'm sure he wants to be first in your life.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2020, 07:18 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I know our blazing above normal temps are cringe worthy year after year dear year round.
That's why this child has over 17K posts and a very low reputation score.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
That's why this child has over 17K posts and a very low reputation score.
Nothing wrong with telling the truth ruth.
Sorry, but when I read his posts, I feel like rhyming simon.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:24 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
actually looking at the recorded temperature history graph would help....and not relying on how it feels or what you think

Florida is about 1C warmer than it was 225 years ago

Regional Climate Change: Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida