Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 PM

42 posts, read 99,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby37 View Post
Well I moved here 8 months ago from jersey and yes from what I can see North Port is for the most part a decent place to live as far as not haveing to go far to find things to do. As far as finding employment well thats a totally different story. To tell you the truth I dont know what people do down here for a liveing! I have been in construction for 20 years and although its tuff all over right now this is the worse place I have ever seen for work in that field. My girlfriend and I built a very nice house here and for the most part are sorry we did. People are right the beaches are very nice but laying on a beach doesnt pay your bills!! We thought we did our home work before we came here but like everything else realitors and community leaders will say almost everything to get people to move into there area because its money driven. I heard it all how North Port was the next big thing and how all these businesses were moveing here. Unless you consider Lowes and Home depo big time jobs and 10 - 12 dollars an hour big money then I guess this is the place to be. If your in your 20's, 30's or 40's and aren't independently wealthy and are comeing here from say the north east you won't be very happy in my opinion.
Gabby looks like you came down right when the boom went out of the whole economy, which is really unfortunate for you and your girlfriend. I just looked at a site on the web that showed where the majority of job loss has occured during the past year and a half and Fl, Calif, Chicage/Detroit midwest area and yes the northeast were the top areas in the country. Prior to that time period, this place was growing way too fast and in a way it is good that things have slowed down as we really do not have the water etc to handle the amount of people and homes that were being built. As for people in their 20's and 30's coming here, I agree that if you are used to the city life then this is not the place for you. Maybe you would do better on the east coast which is more like the northeast. However, by the time you hit your late 40's and 50's you'll find life is much better when you slow down long enough to enjoy what mother nature has given you. (and btw I came from the norteast!)

As for jobs, Florida as a whole really depends on the tourism and hospitality insustries for jobs unless you are in healthcare or advertising etc. It wasn't until the housing boom that jobs in the construction industry really hit their stride and we saw the influx of people in that field coming down to the west coast. If you can survive for another year or so, I am sure construction will pick up again and hopefully not at the same feverish pitch as before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM

24 posts, read 72,836 times
Just a little advise...if you are looking to move down to the Florida area say from the Northeast, get a job with Lowes & transfer...that way you are guaranteed a job & their pay scale is very good plus commission..I'm talking about averaging about $45,000/yr at least.
And you get to keep the salary when you transfer....

Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

24 posts, read 72,836 times
Default Guaranteed job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
You are right....it is very difficult to find a job these day in the North Port/Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area. Bottom line is, there was never a huge amount of employment here in this area to begin with. It was only during the building "boom" that there were a surplus of jobs. Now that it is long gone, and even finding jobs working in a store or a restaurant is difficult.

Eventually, you will find some sort of employment. It may take a couple of weeks or a couple of years, but eventually you will. You may have to create your own employment, by hiring yourself out as a handy man or a painter or lawn cutter. Although, there too you may find a great deal of competition from others in positions similar to yours.

I would never suggest moving to North Port or southwest Florida without securing employment first. And I would definately never suggest it for working age people with modest/moderate incomes.
Just a little advise...if you are looking to move down to the Florida area say from the Northeast, get a job with Lowes & transfer...that way you are guaranteed a job & their pay scale is very good plus commission..I'm talking about averaging about $45,000/yr at least.
And you get to keep the salary when you transfer....

Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
North port is a great place to live. There are plenty of places to ride a bike safely. Despite the national (and world) economic slowdown, at the moment there are a number of new stores being put up: Ross's, Sports Authority, Panera's, new banks, in addition to the existing Home Depot, Lowe's, and Wal-Mart. A a large community center (the Morgan Center) has recently opened, complete with activity rooms and a gym, plus NP has a local "Y" with an Olympic pool, etc. Anyone thinking of exchanging digging snow for 3 months of heat should consider North Port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida