Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

There are lots of stats on this website (http://north-port-fl.blogspot.com/ - broken link) or this one. This article (http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4782984/North-Port-OKs-4-114.html - broken link)talks about the growth North Port has seen in the last few years. Here are some stats from CNN Money. Stats from City-Data about NP-Estimated population in July 2006: 50,523 (+121.6% change). According to the info on City-Data the crime stats are well below the norm for the US, You can go check them out if you care to. It's not very hard to "get people to move here" once they have visited.

Some people are negative people and some are positive. I tend to be more of a positive person. I'm sure anyone could put a negative spin on any community if they put their mind to it. I live here and I love it and it looks like other people do as well.

Crime stats are WELL under the norm for the state of Florida as a whole-Check out the link and click on crime stats.

2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-North Port crime stats 2.78%, Sarasota County 4.39%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-North Port crime stats .35%, Sarasota County .50%, Florida .71%. -Enough said.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-10-2008 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Let's look at few other cities in Florida and run the same stats-If you research many of the area in Florida the crime stats are much higher than North Port. North Port is lookin' pretty good in comparison, if you are taking crime stats. I just picked three random areas.

Lakeland-2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-Lakeland crime stats 5.72%, Polk County 5.81%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-Lakeland-crime stats .66%, Polk County .68%, Florida .71%.

Jacksonville - 2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-Jacksonville crime stats 5.42%, Duval County 5.34%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-Jacksonville-crime stats .84%, Duval County .82%, Florida .71%.

West Palm Beach- 2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-Jacksonville crime stats 7.40%, Palm Beach County 4.82%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-West Palm Beach-crime stats 1.18%, Palm Beach County .84%, Florida .71%.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
There are lots of stats on this website (http://north-port-fl.blogspot.com/ - broken link) or this one. This article (http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4782984/North-Port-OKs-4-114.html - broken link)talks about the growth North Port has seen in the last few years. Here are some stats from CNN Money. Stats from City-Data about NP-Estimated population in July 2006: 50,523 (+121.6% change). According to the info on City-Data the crime stats are well below the norm for the US, You can go check them out if you care to. It's not very hard to "get people to move here" once they have visited.

Some people are negative people and some are positive. I tend to be more of a positive person. I'm sure anyone could put a negative spin on any community if they put their mind to it. I live here and I love it and it looks like other people do as well.

Crime stats are WELL under the norm for the state of Florida as a whole-Check out the link and click on crime stats.

2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-North Port crime stats 2.78%, Sarasota County 4.39%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-North Port crime stats .35%, Sarasota County .50%, Florida .71%. -Enough said.
Re-read my post please. I asked for concrete factual population statistics matching the 44.8% increase in crime over the past two years.

You provided population projections, save for the CNN Money link that puts North Port's population at 35,700.

Thank you, however, for those interesting links to real estate websites and a local blog spot and an article from 2005. Fascinating.....

Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Let's look at few other cities in Florida and run the same stats-If you research many of the area in Florida the crime stats are much higher than North Port. North Port is lookin' pretty good in comparison, if you are taking crime stats. I just picked three random areas.

Lakeland-2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-Lakeland crime stats 5.72%, Polk County 5.81%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-Lakeland-crime stats .66%, Polk County .68%, Florida .71%.

Jacksonville - 2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-Jacksonville crime stats 5.42%, Duval County 5.34%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-Jacksonville-crime stats .84%, Duval County .82%, Florida .71%.

West Palm Beach- 2006 crime stats, % of population affected-Property crimes-Jacksonville crime stats 7.40%, Palm Beach County 4.82%, Florida 3.99%. -Violent crimes-West Palm Beach-crime stats 1.18%, Palm Beach County .84%, Florida .71%.
These stats are bogus and OLD, from the Trulia Real Estate Website. I thought those type links were not allowed. Anyone wanting accurate crime stats should check statistics with the local police or sheriff's office, not some real estate website.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH71 View Post
I am in the process of moving to North Port myself. I was down there last week, and I LOVED it. Houses are nice, and you have a great varitey to choose from.
As for jobs, I was offered two jobs while I was and there. They pay is not bad either. I think life is what you make of it. If you are miserable, then you will hate where you live and make excuses for everything. I live in New England, a commute to Sarasota from North Port is NOTHING. Try downtown Boston at 5pm on a Friday in July, then come talk to me. If you dont like North Port, I have two words for you! MOVE OUT!
I just think you would be unhappy where ever you go!

JUST MY OPINION - TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Excellent post Coach71 and right on the money. I have given you a plus sign accordingly.

Most of the people whining have never had a stake in the community. Mostly renters or people like you say are so unhappy with life that they would find fault anywhere.

Which is why despite not even living in the area you see them here.

I'm originally from NJ and also lived in NYC ( SOHO ) but you rarely see me in those areas because other than to "ocassionally" floar on thru, there's no reason for it. And believe me there's no love lost between New Jersey and I.

Thanks for your input and I personally hope to see more of you in the future .Welcome to the area too!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM

40 posts, read 294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Warning: The following is from our local newspaper, and is not...I repeat is not an opinion. It is for the benefit of the OP who is wondering why North Port is, in his opinion, "affordable".

North Port -- a 37 percent hike in overall crime, with 1,849 crimes reported in 2007 compared to 1,343 in 2006, which was 7.8 percent more than 2005. Simply stated -- crime has jumped 44.8% since 2005.

Surge in burglaries and larcenies.

Burglaries went from 466 in 2006 to 483 last year, including 271 forced entries; larcenies mushroomed from 669 the previous year to 1,190 in 2007.

Nearly $3 million in property, including $730,000 in vehicles, was stolen in the city in 2007.
Of that $3 million, $787,000 was recovered, with more than $600,000 in returned value in vehicles; less than $190,000 of about $2.2 million in nonvehicular stolen property was recovered.
The problem is that the newspaper doesn't provide information about the increase in population over the same time. While I don't see any information about where the newspaper got this information (and don't try to read into this as me disagreeing with the numbers), they should have provided information about the population growth to go along with it. Did the article even mention that aspect?

Before anyone gets all uppity about my response, take a minute and think about the bigger picture, not the one you're trying to draw for everyone. I will not disagree with the fact that crime has gone up in North Port, I would just like to know in what proportion to population growth it has gone up.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
These stats are bogus and OLD, from the Trulia Real Estate Website. I thought those type links were not allowed. Anyone wanting accurate crime stats should check statistics with the local police or sheriff's office, not some real estate website.
Called the North Port Police and should have those stats for you as well in the next day or two. Again, all the negative info that was posted is incorrect.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM

57 posts, read 233,267 times
Have recently moved to North Port and absolutely love it. Neighbors and strangers have been very friendly and personable. Again, crime is relative to where you are from. I will take the petty larcenies and robberies over the murder and rapes from much more crime ridden areas. I had no troubles finding a job that payed well (low six figures) and part of my job is having people research the crime stats in comparison to the national level. North Port (as well as the surrounding areas) are far below the national level. Not saying everything is perfect but now a days I would challenge anyone to find a place that is. As with anywhere you like it or you don't!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Here's another example how North Port compares to Lakeland (it only lets you pick one). The website I am referencing is under the post Great Information. Again, North Port comes out way ahead. The crime stats from the city will show this as well.

On the crime index scale from 1-10 The National Average is 5, Lakeland is 8 and North Port is 3. Here's the Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed. Compare any city to North Port and most often North Port comes out better. Take Bradenton, for example, they are both roughly the same size but the crime rate is much lower in North Port and the job growth is much better in North Port. There are many other factors that the stats show that have North Port coming out ahead. More proof that North Port is a great city to live in!

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Here's another example how North Port compares to Lakeland (it only lets you pick one). The website I am referencing is under the post Great Information. Again, North Port comes out way ahead. The crime stats from the city will show this as well.

On the crime index scale from 1-10 The National Average is 5, Lakeland is 8 and North Port is 3. Here's the Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed. Compare any city to North Port and most often North Port comes out better. Take Bradenton, for example, they are both roughly the same size but the crime rate is much lower in North Port and the job growth is much better in North Port. There are many other factors that the stats show that have North Port coming out ahead. More proof that North Port is a great city to live in!
Once again, old, outdated and erroneous info. But glad you love Northport. It's good to love where you live.

Peace,
~Gypsy~

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida