Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 PM

57 posts, read 233,267 times

Advertisements

Once again, I do not understand why North Port gets a bad rap on crime or drugs, unless it is from people living in a protected world. Here is a link that represents many others clearly showing the comparisons of cities nationwide and their relative crime index, as you will see North Port scores a 3 on a scale from 1-10. Yes, there may have been a rise, but when the number is minumul to start, of course the percentage is going to appear large. Statistics can be arranged to whatever a person desires, so the only way to determine whether or not an area is to your liking would be to actually visit. As stated before, I would highly recommend the area if you already have a job in line. Just my humble opinion, do no want to offend those that feel differently.

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,272 times
I agree, I feel safe in North Port, particularly compared to Rhode Island, where I came from.
My teenage son jokingly calls our new neighborhood which is gated, "the safest place on the planet". It's not, but that's his take.

I'd like to see how much of the crime statics fall into the category of "burglary of an unoccupied dwelling".
The reason I ask this is because during the real estate "explosion" of a few years ago there were countless homes in near completion that were unoccupied.

When my wife and I were looking around in 2006, we more often than not would look at new homes which were supposed to be locked and guess what... we'd find an open door almost every time.
I asked the builder about this and he verified that he has had appliances and other things stolen. Some of these homes were in pretty remote areas.

I guess my point is that if you add a very quickly growing population to opportunities to steal, your going to get increases in crime.

Until the economy starts to improve Nationally as well as here, it's hard to see things getting a whole lot better.

Mikey

Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
cannot believe Northport,FL has decent homes for 100K-130K why is this?
Actually Juno, in SW Fl prices are still falling with bank owned properties selling at 38 cents on the dollar.
Prices will always reflect rents when speculation ends, and speculation has ended.
And rents, of course, reflect the jobs in the area.

Bus leads investors to cheap SW Fla. houses | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://tinyurl.com/3838s5 - broken link)

Hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I agree, I feel safe in North Port, particularly compared to Rhode Island, where I came from.
My teenage son jokingly calls our new neighborhood which is gated, "the safest place on the planet". It's not, but that's his take.

I'd like to see how much of the crime statics fall into the category of "burglary of an unoccupied dwelling".
The reason I ask this is because during the real estate "explosion" of a few years ago there were countless homes in near completion that were unoccupied.

When my wife and I were looking around in 2006, we more often than not would look at new homes which were supposed to be locked and guess what... we'd find an open door almost every time.
I asked the builder about this and he verified that he has had appliances and other things stolen. Some of these homes were in pretty remote areas.

I guess my point is that if you add a very quickly growing population to opportunities to steal, your going to get increases in crime.

Until the economy starts to improve Nationally as well as here, it's hard to see things getting a whole lot better.

Mikey
Is there an accelerating trend of folks moving from New England to SW Florida? I'm very familiar with much of FL and there are a ton of places I could list that would be several pages long you'll find much worse than North Port without even factoring in the added pluses of close proximity to a Sarasota and some of the best beaches in the country. Yeah job picture isn't great there especially if you are educated and not in the medical field but guess what that is what you find in most of Florida. Actually I see that entire area becoming the prime destination of choice for boomers from NE as well as the midwest in coming years especially when compared to the SE part of the state and metro Orlando.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,272 times
In the community I live in, almost everyone is from Rhode Island, Conn, Michigan, Ohio. Lots of people are fleeing those areas.

The job market in R.I. is actually WORSE than here (if you can believe that), wages are NOT higher (like everyone tries to say) and the cost of living is MUCH higher.... that's why people who can leave, are leaving.

Make no mistake.. this is a NATIONAL recession, and it's getting uglier by the day.

Mikey

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
In the community I live in, almost everyone is from Rhode Island, Conn, Michigan, Ohio. Lots of people are fleeing those areas.

The job market in R.I. is actually WORSE than here (if you can believe that), wages are NOT higher (like everyone tries to say) and the cost of living is MUCH higher.... that's why people who can leave, are leaving.

Make no mistake.. this is a NATIONAL recession, and it's getting uglier by the day.

Mikey

RI lacks close proximity to big cities like NY or Boston where the good paying jobs are but are even more expensive.. But 70% of jobs anywhere are going to be service related to the local economy. It sure helps to move to and live in an area with low cost of housing, good growth and a decent seasonal/tourist demographic with deep pockets churning dollars in a local economy like a North Port..

No doubt the inflation squeeze on the middle class along with the housing bust and flat wage growth make it feel like a recession even though unemployment isn't very high just yet..

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Called the North Port Police and should have those stats for you as well in the next day or two. Again, all the negative info that was posted is incorrect.
The "negative info" posted is from the local newspaper and are a direct result of monthly crime statistics provided by the North Port Police Department and Sarasota County Sheriffs Department.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
RI lacks close proximity to big cities like NY or Boston where the good paying jobs are but are even more expensive.. But 70% of jobs anywhere are going to be service related to the local economy. It sure helps to move to and live in an area with low cost of housing, good growth and a decent seasonal/tourist demographic with deep pockets churning dollars in a local economy like a North Port..
What will happen between April 15th and November 1st when the tourists get on the bus and leave for their northern nests?

No doubt the inflation squeeze on the middle class along with the housing bust and flat wage growth make it feel like a recession even though unemployment isn't very high just yet..
Sir, maybe you haven't heard that 63,000 people across the united states lost their jobs in February, alone? People are literally walking away from homes and bankrupting at an acellerated pace?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Rent before you buy. You can always move if you do not like it there. It's a different story once you live in Florida rather than vacationing there. The area is very very transient. People come and go quickly so it's also hard to create a friendship with many people too. Rent first!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Smile .

""Is there any bad parts of Northport that are ghetto?""

I guess I'll answer this question for you,

I've lived here for 11 years..and there isnt any parts that have "real hard gangsters" but alot of kids try to act that way. I consider the biscayne area and all of the streets off of it between 41 and price the scum of north port...but that doesnt go for all of the people but most of the young teenagers that are renting out houses in that area because they are so cheap and many of them are drug houses. dont ask me how i know that, but i know. but pretty much the rest of north port is nice and you wont have anything to worry about.

also if you live in that area dont be offended , if youve worked hard for what you have then congratulations but i dont consider drugs a proper way of making money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida