Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,965 times

Advertisements

When my wife and I moved down here, I knew I would have to travel back and forth to work. I was thinking Sarasota at the time.

I've always had to commute at least a half hour to work, so it seems quite natural to me.

As it turned out, I found a job in Arcadia, which is about 35 minutes from home...about the same as I was commuting in R.I.

If you're looking to "work where you live"....this wouldn't be the place for you.

Mikey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
When my wife and I moved down here, I knew I would have to travel back and forth to work. I was thinking Sarasota at the time.

I've always had to commute at least a half hour to work, so it seems quite natural to me.

As it turned out, I found a job in Arcadia, which is about 35 minutes from home...about the same as I was commuting in R.I.

If you're looking to "work where you live"....this wouldn't be the place for you.

Mikey
Traveling a half hour to work for most people is ordinary. If you limit your range to less than that you really limit your job opportunities, and doing that restrict your income opportunity. For years i drove well over an hour each way so I could live where I wanted, I still drive a half hour to an undesirable area for work, but I'm looking to reduce the need for that by working remotely. Rhode Island is really nice this time of year, I have friends in North Kingstown, not far from New Port.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 AM

960 posts, read 1,688,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby37 View Post
Well I moved here 8 months ago from jersey and yes from what I can see North Port is for the most part a decent place to live as far as not haveing to go far to find things to do. As far as finding employment well thats a totally different story. To tell you the truth I dont know what people do down here for a liveing! I have been in construction for 20 years and although its tuff all over right now this is the worse place I have ever seen for work in that field. My girlfriend and I built a very nice house here and for the most part are sorry we did. People are right the beaches are very nice but laying on a beach doesnt pay your bills!! We thought we did our home work before we came here but like everything else realitors and community leaders will say almost everything to get people to move into there area because its money driven. I heard it all how North Port was the next big thing and how all these businesses were moveing here. Unless you consider Lowes and Home depo big time jobs and 10 - 12 dollars an hour big money then I guess this is the place to be. If your in your 20's, 30's or 40's and aren't independently wealthy and are comeing here from say the north east you won't be very happy in my opinion.
Sorry to hear that you are kicking yourself for moving to North Port. It is true that people in real estate and their associated businesses are not going to tell you not to move here. Their interest lies in making the money. They can't even tell you if a neighborhood stinks because of some kind of rules and regulations/ "gag order". You really have to do your homework on your own when moving to an area, because you can't just go on a realtors word.

As for jobs, most people from North Port commute either to 40 miles to Fort Myers or 35 miles to Sarasota. It is not unusual to see people commute as far as 85 miles to Tampa every day. Some people in North Port feel that they are fortunate if they get that $10 an hour job at Lowes. So it is really relative, since there was virtually nothing in North Port until about 5 years ago.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,010 times
I don't mind commuteing an hour or so for a decent job. What i'm saying is that I'm finding it very difficult to find a job anywhere. Ive looked in sarasota, arcadia,venice, even st pete and I'm telling you the jobs just arent out there. I have gone back to jersey 2 times in the past 8 months to work with a friend jst to make some money. You don't want to know the types of jobs I have applyed for since I have been here. Always the same old story 40 - 50 people applying for 1 job and they take the one who is willing to work for the least amount of money. I even offered 1 company to work for free for a week just to get my foot in the door! Totally different way of life down here that's for sure.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:48 AM

960 posts, read 1,688,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby37 View Post
I don't mind commuteing an hour or so for a decent job. What i'm saying is that I'm finding it very difficult to find a job anywhere. Ive looked in sarasota, arcadia,venice, even st pete and I'm telling you the jobs just arent out there. I have gone back to jersey 2 times in the past 8 months to work with a friend jst to make some money. You don't want to know the types of jobs I have applyed for since I have been here. Always the same old story 40 - 50 people applying for 1 job and they take the one who is willing to work for the least amount of money. I even offered 1 company to work for free for a week just to get my foot in the door! Totally different way of life down here that's for sure.
You are right....it is very difficult to find a job these day in the North Port/Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area. Bottom line is, there was never a huge amount of employment here in this area to begin with. It was only during the building "boom" that there were a surplus of jobs. Now that it is long gone, and even finding jobs working in a store or a restaurant is difficult.

Eventually, you will find some sort of employment. It may take a couple of weeks or a couple of years, but eventually you will. You may have to create your own employment, by hiring yourself out as a handy man or a painter or lawn cutter. Although, there too you may find a great deal of competition from others in positions similar to yours.

I would never suggest moving to North Port or southwest Florida without securing employment first. And I would definately never suggest it for working age people with modest/moderate incomes.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Because 200,000 is too much to pay for a house?

Heck, if you can't find one under $75K, the market is overpriced.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
I'd heard some bad things about Riley Chase on Toledo Blade Blvd (near the Interstate).

But North Port has built several schools in the past ten years. I could say the last five, but that is stretching it a little.

Jobs: depends on what you're looking for. I could find a job in North Port.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,965 times
Riley Chase is an apt complex, and like any apt complex, you're gonna get what that brings. Mostly I just see families in and around there.

I go by there all the time (sometimes on my bike) and can honestly say I've never seen or heard of one single problem over the past year or so.

I do notice that some of the police live there as well.

Mikey.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,434 times
A creative person with skills, professional training, talent or or who really wants to work can find a way to make a living.

There re two web sites that list local jobs -- indeed.com and snagajob.com True, if you have little education or don't want a "regular" job, but are convinced you deserve a "position." you will struggle.

There are homes close to Interstate 75 which makes the commuy to Sarasota easy if that is where one must go.

North Port is one of the few cities aound with a professional economic director, Allan Lane, and a large economic development committee.

There are a few sour people who will complain no matter what. Life is what you make of it. People shouldn't expect things to be handed to them, especially in the current world economy,

I remember seeing a population sign on the highway in Michigan at the entrance to a small town: 4,582 friendly people and three soreheads.

North Port is a great town.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,406 times
Smile Happy in North Port

I moved to North Port almost 14 years ago, and I love it here. I came from a city that was very congested, so when we came here it was like moving to the country. I don't live in a gated community and I have to say I feel very safe. I also work in the school system and have for 13 years, and like any other professsion there are good and bad in all. Parents that take a vested interest in their student will stay on top of their education. As far as the prices of houses go, it's a buyers market and that's just because of the economy. That has nothing to do with North Port because it's all over the country. I for one didn't want all the commericial businesses that came here I wanted it to stay country, because, I could go either north or south and visit the businesses that I wanted to. But alas progress came, I'm ok with it, and it does create jobs. And for the job market there aren't any jobs anywhere, so why single out North Port? I love it here have no desire to live anywhere else, and I agree, if you don't like it move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida