Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Had you bothered to READ the entire thread, you would have seen this:

The ten-page ballot, in all its glory, was shown on TV news a couple of days prior to the election, so this was not exactly a rumor, third-hand hearsay, or anything like that. Ten pages have been verified a couple of times on this thread.

I asked the question because I thought I'd heard a lie. It turns out, I didn't. Posters on this thread have reported five double-sided pages, four double-sided pages, two double-sided pages.

And, given FL's once again making the news for unconscionably long lines before and the day of the election and, since this thread has at least six pages and there is another thread on the elections forum on this issue, a ten-page ballot is clearly but one of several examples of what is wrong with voting in certain parts of FL.

Sorry, you don't think it's worth talking about. Based on the length of this thread and other threads on the Election forum, other people do.
I read the entire thread but it just so happens that the thread title said, " Why Does Florida Have A Ten-Page Ballot?"
1 county out of 67 had a 10 page ballot, most were not even close as I and many others previously stated. I sorry if you were slighted that I felt it foolish to start a thread without taking 5 minutes to research the issue a little more.
Yes the thread produced all of 60 posts, that did have much to do with the thread meandering into discussions on the amendments, gerrymandering and other topics, that does not take away my opinion that it was silly to start it without researching a little first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I read the entire thread but it just so happens that the thread title said, " Why Does Florida Have A Ten-Page Ballot?"
1 county out of 67 had a 10 page ballot, most were not even close as I and many others previously stated. I sorry if you were slighted that I felt it foolish to start a thread without taking 5 minutes to research the issue a little more.
Yes the thread produced all of 60 posts, that did have much to do with the thread meandering into discussions on the amendments, gerrymandering and other topics, that does not take away my opinion that it was silly to start it without researching a little first.
Well - like another poster has noted - the problem is that the counties that have these ridiculous ballots and those ridiculous screw-ups and lines are the largest counties in Florida. You live in a county (Hernando County) that is even smaller and dinker than my small dinky county (St. Johns County). And it is about as "white bread" as my county (maybe more so). Like my county - I suspect a fairly large % of the relatively small Hispanic population in yours is migrant farm workers. Note that I have actually been in Hernando County (a long time ago). I recall staying in the Brooksville Holiday Inn (or similar).

My husband and I have been in every county in Florida over the years (although we had to go a few miles out the way driving to hit a couple in the Panhandle). And we lived in Dade County (now Miami Dade County) for over 20 years. It was really nice - and very exciting - when I first moved there in 1971. By the time we left in 1995 - it was totally dysfunctional and not pleasant. And it still is IMO (we get back there occasionally for business reasons). OTOH - it has made for some great humor writing :

Mars lawyers, dead voters - beat goes on - Dave Barry - MiamiHerald.com

Robyn

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

151 posts, read 183,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Again if we are going to judge every single thread in this forum by your standards there would be no forum. Pretty much every question asked has been answered in this forum, other forums, other websites, etc.

If people stopped asking questions because all the answers are on the internet, this forum and other internet forums would have no purpose. And telling people their posts or threads are silly and foolish is hostile behavior that contributes nothing to the thread or the internet itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida