Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You're the stupid one (you haven't read the messages in this thread). The main reason the ballot is longer in some parts of Florida than others is because it can be printed in one language - or two or three. A secondary reason is some areas have more local ballot issues than others. Robyn
One county had a ten page ballot, most were not even close to that. The thread starter did not research the issue before initiating the thread to start this out, for most counties there was a 2 or 3 page ballot and only in English.
I too think it was rather foolish to start a thread based on what amounts to something this was either overheard or an article that was either not read fully or misunderstood.
And Robyn, just a little helpful hint, when you post something your name is right up in the left hand corner of each post, there is really no need to end each quote with your name. Of course that is your prerogative, just trying to help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 AM

151 posts, read 183,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
One county had a ten page ballot, most were not even close to that. The thread starter did not research the issue before initiating the thread to start this out, for most counties there was a 2 or 3 page ballot and only in English.
I too think it was rather foolish to start a thread based on what amounts to something this was either overheard or an article that was either not read fully or misunderstood.
And Robyn, just a little helpful hint, when you post something your name is right up in the left hand corner of each post, there is really no need to end each quote with your name. Of course that is your prerogative, just trying to help out.
The OP heard that because it's all over the news. The question was about a long ballot and long wait lines. In other words he/she is trying to figure out why the results are taking so long and why were people still voting after 1:00 am when Obama had already been declared the winner.

The Florida results were delayed because of Miami Dade county which had a 5 sheet, 10 page ballot. It's only one county but it is the most populous county, with the highest number of voters. In other words, it s a valid question.

And if people researched every single question like some of you suggest, there would be no forum. To begin with, the answer has been on this thread for a while and people are still posting that they only had a 2 or 3 page ballot.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
The OP heard that because it's all over the news. The question was about a long ballot and long wait lines. In other words he/she is trying to figure out why the results are taking so long and why were people still voting after 1:00 am when Obama had already been declared the winner.

The Florida results were delayed because of Miami Dade county which had a 5 sheet, 10 page ballot. It's only one county but it is the most populous county, with the highest number of voters. In other words, it s a valid question.

And if people researched every single question like some of you suggest, there would be no forum. To begin with, the answer has been on this thread for a while and people are still posting that they only had a 2 or 3 page ballot.
There were long ballots in other counties too:

Another factor making the ballot longer is a federal requirement that 13 counties must print ballots in English and Spanish because of their voting populations. The state's two largest counties, Miami-Dade and Broward, must print ballots in English, Spanish and Creole.

Florida voters facing a long, long ballot in November - Tampa Bay Times

Robyn

Old 11-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
That ballot was full of crap. You are right, the state is broke and most ammendments were about collecting less taxes. Most of the issues seemed to be drafted by crazy conservatives. I was disgusted. Crap about abortion, giving money to religious nuts all other nonsense.

Like really Florida?
You'd better tell the ratings agencies that Florida is broke - because we got back our AAA bond rating from S&P in 2011. FWIW - the state with the worst credit rating is California - which - as we all know - is full of crazy conservatives .

And the 3 amendments that passed (an amendment needs 60% of the vote to pass) were property tax relief for disabled veterans - the spouses of military killed on duty - and long time homeowners who are low income seniors. I happened to vote against all the amendments (I think the legislature should deal with these matters - not voters). But these don't look like "crazy conservative" amendments to me. Robyn

Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I would believe that he waited that long,I did early voting on a Monday at 11am and it took me 3 hours,my dad went on election day at 8am and it took him 4 hours and 30 minutes and we're both like out in the suburbs way out west,I would figure other areas would likely be worse,it literally was a joke.Have you seen the clip on the news of the woman at 1am in line to vote on election day?She spoke little English and the news guy said something to the effect that the election was called and Obama won,she obviously didn't understand what he said as she replied "Oh Romney will win"then he explained,no it's over Obama won,she shook her head and said Oh no!!All this while she's in line at 1am to vote,the election is over and she's been standing in line to vote for at least 6 hours.
Perhaps the Presidential election was over - but that wasn't the only thing we were voting on. That's one reason why we had long ballots . Robyn

Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
You'd better tell the ratings agencies that Florida is broke - because we got back our AAA bond rating from S&P in 2011. FWIW - the state with the worst credit rating is California - which - as we all know - is full of crazy conservatives .

And the 3 amendments that passed (an amendment needs 60% of the vote to pass) were property tax relief for disabled veterans - the spouses of military killed on duty - and long time homeowners who are low income seniors. I happened to vote against all the amendments (I think the legislature should deal with these matters - not voters). But these don't look like "crazy conservative" amendments to me. Robyn
If I remember that amendment correctly, weren't "part-time residents", aka Snowbirds, included in that? While I am all for the military, and low income Seniors getting tax breaks, I don't think RICH SNOWBIRDS should be included in that group. I believe what they call this in business is a Poison Pill.

I, too, had a very easy time filling out my 4 pages (front and back), especially the Amendments. No to ALL of them.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If I remember that amendment correctly, weren't "part-time residents", aka Snowbirds, included in that? While I am all for the military, and low income Seniors getting tax breaks, I don't think RICH SNOWBIRDS should be included in that group. I believe what they call this in business is a Poison Pill.

I, too, had a very easy time filling out my 4 pages (front and back), especially the Amendments. No to ALL of them.
Well - you don't have to be a full-time resident. But you have to qualify for a homestead exemption. And have lived in the house for 25+ years - and the house has to be worth less than X - and your income has to be less than Y.

Amendment 11 | 2012 Florida Amendments

I really don't think many people are in this group - so I don't care about the amendment very much. Especially since we have the Save Our Homes amendment (which limits property tax increases on an annual basis). I just voted no on all the amendments - for reasons that are probably the same or similar to yours. A legislative proposal I'd be much more interested in is limiting Citizens' windstorm coverage to perhaps $500k or less. I don't know why any of us who own houses that are worth less than $1 million should subsidize people who do. Robyn

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Had you bothered to READ the entire thread, you would have seen this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am seeing on TV long lines in FL where people are waiting 3-4 hours to vote. The blame is being partially assigned to the length of the ballot and all those constitutional amendments.

So, why are people waiting 3-4 hours to vote? Is this true only in certain areas?
The ten-page ballot, in all its glory, was shown on TV news a couple of days prior to the election, so this was not exactly a rumor, third-hand hearsay, or anything like that. Ten pages have been verified a couple of times on this thread.

I asked the question because I thought I'd heard a lie. It turns out, I didn't. Posters on this thread have reported five double-sided pages, four double-sided pages, two double-sided pages.

And, given FL's once again making the news for unconscionably long lines before and the day of the election and, since this thread has at least six pages and there is another thread on the elections forum on this issue, a ten-page ballot is clearly but one of several examples of what is wrong with voting in certain parts of FL.

Sorry, you don't think it's worth talking about. Based on the length of this thread and other threads on the Election forum, other people do.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-10-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM

151 posts, read 183,328 times
Quote:

The crazy conservative was for the abortion and religious affiliation funding. And if we continue giving tax breaks to anybody(you only quoted the decent one of the bunch) we will be California pretty soon.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:

Actually this once again comes down to actually reading, the thread was started 4 days BEFORE election day so it seems extremely doubtful in fact quite ludicrous to state that the OP was "trying to figure out why the results are taking so long and why were people still voting".

It may have been all over the news but to take what a headline says or take a blurb from a newscaster and take it as fact without researching better is why we have many useless threads. Now I am not sure since I did not see it but the 10 page ballot, was that for each language or was it about 3.33 pages for each language?

I know why the results were delayed, it was because of the same 4-5 counties that over and over, every election, screw things up.

If everyone researched a little bit we may be able to have some more balanced discussions without wasteful posts that are completely uninformed and I know the answer was on the thread already because I was one of the people that posted about it days before you popped in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida