Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM

315 posts, read 652,089 times

Advertisements

To add to all the above, they put half of it in spanish which increases the page amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
My Ballot in Tampa was 3 pages, double sided. It's because the Amendments are typed in their entirety and in their legal language... in 2 languages. I saw many voters today reading the entire ballot... probably trying to make sense of the amendments. I went through the amendments a couple days ago and made a cheat sheet. I used a couple sites that spelled out what you were voting for and what a yes or no vote meant. Unfortunately I think too many people think they are voting one way, but in reality, because of the wording, they are voting another.

They should institute plain language amendment language so the majority of the population can understand what they are reading. Because let's face it... most of the population cannot understand the language on these ballots or people to stay focused once they get past the second sentence.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Left my house, drove to the polling site, voted drove home, all of about 12 minutes. Granted I only live about 2-3 minutes from the site but I was in and out, long ballot and all. 2 pages front and back.
I also researched everything before and had my page printed out before I went so all I had to do was fill in the circles.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM

170 posts, read 206,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
My Ballot in Tampa was 3 pages, double sided. It's because the Amendments are typed in their entirety and in their legal language... in 2 languages. I saw many voters today reading the entire ballot... probably trying to make sense of the amendments. I went through the amendments a couple days ago and made a cheat sheet. I used a couple sites that spelled out what you were voting for and what a yes or no vote meant. Unfortunately I think too many people think they are voting one way, but in reality, because of the wording, they are voting another.

They should institute plain language amendment language so the majority of the population can understand what they are reading. Because let's face it... most of the population cannot understand the language on these ballots or people to stay focused once they get past the second sentence.
My ballot was also 3 pages, front & back. English & Spanish.

I believe that people should do a bit more research and have a cheat as well. Nearly impossible to read and truly understand at the polls... No excuses really...

Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I agree, people should of done their research ahead of time, came in with a piece of paper how they were going to vote, instead of reading everything right there. Mine was 5 pages back and front, in three languages. Took me 10 minutes from the time I left my car till I got back in my car. Had a great voting experience today.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Why do we have a 10 page ballot??

Because our legislators are a bunch of ******* who do not want to do their ****ing job and pass laws...

Instead they "pass the buck" and leave it to the voters. Most of which are a bunch of old, conservative bigots and racists with one foot in the grave who care nothing about themselves and keeping their taxes low so they can live a couple more years

Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM

151 posts, read 183,155 times
It took me 5 1/2 hours to vote. I got there at 6:30 am. I wanted to kill myself. Almost 6 hours!!!!

The problem is not the ballots it's the corrupt Florida government not assigning enough polling places in the more democratic districs.

I live in Southern Miami but not in the republican area Doggiebus lives.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM

151 posts, read 183,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

Because our legislators are a bunch of ******* who do not want to do their ****ing job and pass laws...

Instead they "pass the buck" and leave it to the voters. Most of which are a bunch of old, conservative bigots and racists with one foot in the grave who care nothing about themselves and keeping their taxes low so they can live a couple more years
That ballot was full of crap. You are right, the state is broke and most ammendments were about collecting less taxes. Most of the issues seemed to be drafted by crazy conservatives. I was disgusted. Crap about abortion, giving money to religious nuts all other nonsense.

Like really Florida?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
It took me 5 1/2 hours to vote. I got there at 6:30 am. I wanted to kill myself. Almost 6 hours!!!!

The problem is not the ballots it's the corrupt Florida government not assigning enough polling places in the more democratic districs.

I live in Southern Miami but not in the republican area Doggiebus lives.
Here's your local Supervisor of Elections who takes care of election things where you live:

County has first Black supervisor of elections | The Miami Times

Perhaps she is a Republican - but I kind of doubt it. Robyn

Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

You have a 10 page ballot because the federal government says that you must have the ballot printed in English and Spanish (and - in some parts of Florida - Creole).

And exactly which voters are you talking about? I've lived in Florida for 40+ years - and the crabbiest most thumbs down when it comes to taxes voters IMO are the blue haired blue voters down in south Florida (gosh - I paid taxes in New Yawk - or O-HI-O - why should I pay taxes here for things like schools?). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida