Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times

Advertisements

We voted today, absolutely no wait, place is two blocks from our house, 2 page ballot front and back in English only. Easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,509,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
...Why do you think you are a non person because you are non black and non hispanic? I don't follow. I am also non black and non hispanic...
It is kind of hard to explain. I saw that you live in Plantation. Do you spend a lot of time in Miami-Dade County? If not - go shopping in a place like the Villages of Merrick Park in Coral Gables. Where you will feel pretty much invisible if your first language isn't Spanish (my husband and I both speak Spanish - but only as a second language). Also read Tom Wolfe's new book if you don't care to venture into Miami. Robyn

Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,327,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
It took me 5 1/2 hours to vote. I got there at 6:30 am. I wanted to kill myself. Almost 6 hours!!!!

The problem is not the ballots it's the corrupt Florida government not assigning enough polling places in the more democratic districs.

I live in Southern Miami but not in the republican area Doggiebus lives.
Thats bull****. Plus there is early voting, what was your excuse the last 2 weeks?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
It took me 5 1/2 hours to vote. I got there at 6:30 am. I wanted to kill myself. Almost 6 hours!!!!

The problem is not the ballots it's the corrupt Florida government not assigning enough polling places in the more democratic districs.

I live in Southern Miami but not in the republican area Doggiebus lives.
Sorry - but it's your local Supervisor of Elections - not anyone in the state government - who sets up your polling places. Your Supervisor of Elections is this person:

County has first Black supervisor of elections | The Miami Times

Is she a Republican (I don't have a clue)? Robyn

Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM

151 posts, read 183,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Thats bull****. Plus there is early voting, what was your excuse the last 2 weeks?
Early voting was just as bad. It is not bs, it's been all over the news. Only 20 places were opened for a county with over 2.5 million people and lines were upto 5 hours during early voting. Reducing early voting days was obviously not a good idea. There were older people fainting in those lines. It's been all over the news and you will hear more about it in the coming days.

But whatever, I'm very glad I voted and waited because the election is very close.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
My ballot in unincorporated Okaloosa essentially ran three pages total. (Amendment #11 spilled briefly onto page 4.)

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Not sure where you heard it is 10 pages. It was 2 pages but on both sides. Not only is there National, State, and local candidates to vote on there are 11 (wordy) amendments to the state constitution . In my county we also had some local referendums on the ballot. All registered voters should have received a sample ballot. Best thing to do is read it at home and mark the sample ballot the way you want to vote. Might want to actually study what the amendments are about because to me some were very confusing.
Then when you go to vote bring the sample ballot with you. Use it when you vote and it will not take long to vote. I think I had the ballot for about a minute. It took longer for them to print my ballot at early voting than it did for me to vote.
BTW Most of the first page was the12 people running for President and their Vice Presidents like Rose Ann Barr and Cindy Sheehan. Exactly, how do you get your name on a ballot?
Excellent post ! I am always amazed at people that read stupid stories like this, 10 pages of ballot sheets, and expound on it. Stupid.
Some years, there is not much at all on the ballot.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You can find the sample ballot online. Print, read, fill out at home, take to polls, and just copy from it. Quicker.
Most responsible, semi-educated, thinking people would have done just that. A lot of people voted. I had lines at my polling place but, it seemed like most people prepared beforehand and I was there about 1/2 hr. What I was still unsure about, I didn't vote on.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Excellent post ! I am always amazed at people that read stupid stories like this, 10 pages of ballot sheets, and expound on it. Stupid.
Some years, there is not much at all on the ballot.
You're the stupid one (you haven't read the messages in this thread). The main reason the ballot is longer in some parts of Florida than others is because it can be printed in one language - or two or three. A secondary reason is some areas have more local ballot issues than others. Robyn

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,899,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I would believe that he waited that long,I did early voting on a Monday at 11am and it took me 3 hours,my dad went on election day at 8am and it took him 4 hours and 30 minutes and we're both like out in the suburbs way out west,I would figure other areas would likely be worse,it literally was a joke.Have you seen the clip on the news of the woman at 1am in line to vote on election day?She spoke little English and the news guy said something to the effect that the election was called and Obama won,she obviously didn't understand what he said as she replied "Oh Romney will win"then he explained,no it's over Obama won,she shook her head and said Oh no!!All this while she's in line at 1am to vote,the election is over and she's been standing in line to vote for at least 6 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida