Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM

192 posts, read 858,425 times

Advertisements

After all the discussion it appears for now a non issue. Perhaps they will clarify the amendment and put in some caps on spending and on tax increases, or this was the best way for the cities to avoid the feared financial meltdown they have been threatening the voters with. It will at the least be interesting. This was on bay news 9.

The plan to let Florida residents to vote on increasing the homestead exemption suffered a setback Monday..

.The state legislature had proposed the constitutional amendment and put it on the ballot for Jan. 29. But Weston mayor Eric Hersh, who brought the action against the amendment, said the ballot language was unclear.

Leon circuit judge Charles Francis agreed with Hersh.
". . . the court cannot find that the language (of the proposed amendment) is clear, concise, unambiguous and fair," Francis said. "The language at issue is misleading and confusing, and does not provide fair notice to the voter, educated or otherwise, of the purpose and effect of the proposed amendments to the Florida Constitution."

The state legislature can rework the amendment and it could still be on the ballot. The amendment would phase out the Save Our Homes 3 percent assessment cap and replace it with a super exemption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 04:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,911,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
After all the discussion it appears for now a non issue. Perhaps they will clarify the amendment and put in some caps on spending and on tax increases, or this was the best way for the cities to avoid the feared financial meltdown they have been threatening the voters with. It will at the least be interesting. This was on bay news 9.

The plan to let Florida residents to vote on increasing the homestead exemption suffered a setback Monday..

.The state legislature had proposed the constitutional amendment and put it on the ballot for Jan. 29. But Weston mayor Eric Hersh, who brought the action against the amendment, said the ballot language was unclear.

Leon circuit judge Charles Francis agreed with Hersh.
". . . the court cannot find that the language (of the proposed amendment) is clear, concise, unambiguous and fair," Francis said. "The language at issue is misleading and confusing, and does not provide fair notice to the voter, educated or otherwise, of the purpose and effect of the proposed amendments to the Florida Constitution."

The state legislature can rework the amendment and it could still be on the ballot. The amendment would phase out the Save Our Homes 3 percent assessment cap and replace it with a super exemption
It was very confusing .
The News-Press, news-press.com, Election, Judge takes amendment off state ballot (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070924/NEWS0107/309240012/1075 - broken link)

Last edited by firemed; 09-24-2007 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM

It is misleading.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
This is interesting! Will they go back and amend it, or just let it die so we get no tax breaks? No action just means a harder crash in property values, and it will be harder to sell. You would think that Florida realtors would be pushing harder for tax reform.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This is interesting! Will they go back and amend it, or just let it die so we get no tax breaks? No action just means a harder crash in property values, and it will be harder to sell. You would think that Florida realtors would be pushing harder for tax reform.
It was too open, You would get a big cut at first but it had no cap. The first year would be great but it could go up 100% the next year. It needs to be done right not just a quick fix.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:24 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,751,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
It was too open, You would get a big cut at first but it had no cap. The first year would be great but it could go up 100% the next year. It needs to be done right not just a quick fix.
I agree and given that choice or keeping it like it is...I'll keep mine the way it is.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
It proves that our "elected representatives" cannot even give us what we want. I am sure that those of us here could come up with a working plan easier than they can. Maybe they can revive the "no property tax" proposal?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM

272 posts, read 1,532,482 times
It was confusing.
Too bad a judge didn't strike the ballot to repeal the high speed rail amendment. The verbiage on that ballot was so confusing most people thought they were voting to keep it but wound up unknowingly voting it out.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
It proves that our "elected representatives" cannot even give us what we want. I am sure that those of us here could come up with a working plan easier than they can. Maybe they can revive the "no property tax" proposal?
Who do you think was lobbying for this? Not the people that live here but the big investors that now have to pay taxes on big developements sitting empty.
They could give a damn about if the taxes go up after the sale. Think about it. I did not hear a thing about cutting taxes for the small businesses.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM

192 posts, read 858,425 times
Quote:
We can hope, but that was shot down so fast it probably won't see the light of day again

Quote:
Who do you think was lobbying for this? Not the people that live here but the big investors that now have to pay taxes on big developements sitting empty.
They could give a damn about if the taxes go up after the sale. Think about it. I did not hear a thing about cutting taxes for the small businesses.
I thought that I had a fair grasp on the bill, but after reading the box next to the article I said to self WHAT??
It is very confusing.

You are so right on the developers and small business. I own a rental and do provide a service to people who cannot or choose not to own a home, bought it for 50 cents on the dollar from my fathers estate(2003) and the taxes have gone up so much I'm negative cash flow but have great tenant. It's gonna be tough when she moves next summer with all these developers and investors holding lots of homes. Can't sell it and can't compete with them and can't catch a break from the state.
On our main home the taxes are not bad thanks to SOH but the insurance is killing us, we need help guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: