Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 AM

192 posts, read 298,483 times

Advertisements

To try to A. Revoke votes B. To turn voters off, so the Republican candidates win. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
The main reason the ballot is long is the proposed constitutional amendments (eleven of them). About the only constitutional amendment I'd vote for these days is an amendment eliminating/limiting these kinds of constitutional amendments . Note that our ballot was 4 pages long (front and back of 2 pages). Two pages were the constitutional amendments - two were all the elections (from president to members of the mosquito control district). In addition - we had "merit retention" races for 3 Supreme Court Justices (many areas had lower court judicial elections - but we didn't have any this year - we're a small county and we don't have many lower court judges).

We voted Monday afternoon. No lines - no wait. Main reason in my opinion is we tend to have more educated affluent voters than you'll find in some other counties - as well as tons of election volunteers and voting machines. It took us about 5 minutes to vote - filling in all the "circles" (we had gone over the ballot before we went to vote).

As for printing ballots at the polls - the way I understand it is some voting precincts have voters who have to vote on different things in some very local elections - like city commissioners. That's the case with my brother - who lives down south in the City of Miami Beach. Where I live - all the voters in my precinct get the same (pre-printed) ballot. Robyn

Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 AM

I didn't understand the 10 page ballot thing - so I looked it up. The ballots in some south Florida counties are longer/a lot longer than ours because they have to be printed in English and Spanish - or - in some cases - English and Spanish and Creole. So our 4 pages can turn into 8 or 12 pages. Doubt you're going to find anything like that in Wisconsin.

Also - in terms of printing out individual ballots -I forgot to mention that only certain polling places are open during early voting. So people from more than 1 precinct can wind up voting at a particular polling place. That's why you need to print out individual ballots. Robyn

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Other than Florida leadership's propensity to try and throw/sway national election results? Nah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
To try to A. Revoke votes B. To turn voters off, so the Republican candidates win mad mad mad mad . Plain and simple.
The ballot is 3 pages in Pasco County, 4 pages in Hernando County, one page of each is for elected officials and the other pages are the amendments which need to be written out so people know what they are voting on.
If you can't figure out a ballot you shouldn't be voting as you are obviously mentally deficient.

The only way I can see this being made a partisan issue would be if you were saying the Dems were not mentally capable of filling out a SIMPLE 3 or 4 page ballot. While it may be 10 pages in some counties that would probably because of the need to print it in multiple languages.

I have researched the amendment issues and the candidates for each position, it will take me probably 1 minute to go fill in the 23 circles I need to fill in. It is no ones fault but your own if you have not researched the issues before going to vote and then are in there for an hour reading through each amendment.

I also never understand people complaining about waiting for early voting. The closest to me was about a 45 minute wait, it is the same every year. When I go on election day, as I always do, I usually have at most a 5 minute wait. It is simple math, if you have X amount of people going to 2 polling spots it is going to be a longer wait than if you have X number of people going to 35 polling spots.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Re: Wait times for early voting:

Prior to 2011, we had 14 days of early voting. Now, we have 14 days being crammed into 8 thanks to a benevolent Republican state leadership that decided 14 days was just too long (and with our clown of a governor, Rick Scott refusing to extend early voting into Sunday).

Frankly, I'll take my chance at my regular polling station on election day! I bet the wait will be much, much smaller.

Next time counties should at least double the amount of early voting locations.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM

I can remember when there was no early voting - and somehow we managed to have elections.

Note that there are about 195k people in St. Johns County. We had 6 early voting locations. No significant problems. Palm Beach County has about 1.3 million people - about 7 times as many people as we have. Yet it only had 14 early voting locations. I reckon if you had as many early voting locations as we had (on a proportional basis) - you'd have had a lot fewer problems. So why did you have so few early voting locations? Robyn

Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM

P.S. Miami-Dade County has about 13 times as many residents as we do - 2.5 million people. And only 20 early voting locations. And - as far as I know - it's your County Supervisor of Elections who sets up your early voting places - not the Governor.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Just about the same amount of people voted early this year as they did last year. The only difference was the cost to the taxpayer was higher last year since they were open longer.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
P.S. Miami-Dade County has about 13 times as many residents as we do - 2.5 million people. And only 20 early voting locations. And - as far as I know - it's your County Supervisor of Elections who sets up your early voting places - not the Governor.

Back in the day early voting was not as necessary, since most had traditional work schedules, less demands on their time. These days, early voting. Many civilized nations have voting day on the weekend.

Now that we have it, there is no rationale for fewer days of early voting. And certainly no rationale for the crook of a governor to not allow early voting on the Sunday before elections -- except, of course, to stop the tradition of black folks from voting on Sunday after church for Democrats. Democrats are also historically more likely to vote early. There is always a calculated method to Republican madness in this state - Be it the strangest gerrymandered districts you can imagine, to the early voting reduction in days.

And, regardless of whether the polling locations were enough in the larger counties, for the Governor to refuse to alleviate the problem - unprecedented wait times by the way - by allowing the extra day to vote is a shame. Not surprising given his track record, but a shame.

Charlie Crist: Rick Scott's Refusal To Extend Florida Early Voting Is 'Indefensible'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...tml?ref=topbar

Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is a serious question.

In WI, in 49 years of voting, I have NEVER seen anything other than a one-page ballot.

I'm in and out of my polling center here in 15 minutes, tops. I am in a metropolitan location.

WTH is going in FL????

Clearly, everyone who wants to vote will not be able to.

Can anyone explain FL's legitimate reason for a 10-page ballot?
There are almost twenty million people in Florida. There are only five million in Wisconsin. More people, more issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida