Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,565,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Not all of us find urban trends appealing, regardless of what we have in our bank accounts.
(((((CLAPS HANDS)))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,143,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
(((((CLAPS HANDS)))))
Nobody commented on my Rustlers. Not "trendy" stuff. Good denim. Fits well. Inexpensive. Why spend twenty to seventy bucks? I love these jeans and I'd also still buy them even if I had two million bucks in the bank.

Well, I'd probably have more khakis...

Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM

815 posts, read 2,141,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I never said that were "not late" on "on time" on whatever you people call it with "urban trends." Where did you get that? What the hell does urban trend even mean?! (and no, I'm not really asking for a definition...that was mostly rhetorical)

All I was trying to say is that most people in the US who buy premium denim, have the greatest access to those stores, so that influences what they purchase. I live in a fairly big city in the US (San Diego) and even here there's not a fantastic selection of specialty boutiques. Online shopping, although available, does not typically entice people to try new brands. People generally speaking will buy brands that that are already familiar with, and have seen in person.

And...I think the biggest question is...who cares? I couldn't give two sh*ts if what I'm wearing is the "newest and best" in whatever trend is the trendiest of them all. I'm too old for that (and I don't just mean my age...). If you want to, or have the time to, get into that--fine, whatever. Just don't expect that most people care.

I, as the OP, creating this post based primarily on the fit and quality of premium denim vs. less expensive denim. I was surprised that the selection and quality of cheaper denim seems to have improved. Not the stylish-ness or trendiness of it or (insert whatever lingo is being used this week).
You, as the OP started this thread talking about the difference between premium vs less expensive jeans correct?

So you feel comfortable with yourself paying $150+ for some Tru Religons, but you wont pay the same amount for some selvage denim that is much better in quality??? What is new and trendy aside you do realize that you were basically paying $150 for the U on the back of the Tru Religons and that alone right? That fabric itself that Tru Religons are made out of is the same type and grade as other brands that are much, much cheaper. Its not even raw denim, but yet people like you still pay upwards of $100 for them. Hilarious. Really.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
(((((CLAPS HANDS)))))
Quote:
I never said that were "not late" on "on time" on whatever you people call it with "urban trends." Where did you get that? What the hell does urban trend even mean?! (and no, I'm not really asking for a definition...that was mostly rhetorical)

Urban trend=street wear. And unless you wear suits all day, or unless you dress like a prep in Ralph Lauren chinos and sweaters all day then you have worn street wear at one time or another. *gasp* When you were dropping stacks on Tru Religons and R&R's you were apart of an urban/street wear trend.

And lol @ "you people". That was cute

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,940,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
You, as the OP started this thread talking about the difference between premium vs less expensive jeans correct?

So you feel comfortable with yourself paying $150+ for some Tru Religons, but you wont pay the same amount for some selvage denim that is much better in quality??? What is new and trendy aside you do realize that you were basically paying $150 for the U on the back of the Tru Religons and that alone right? That fabric itself that Tru Religons are made out of is the same type and grade as other brands that are much, much cheaper. Its not even raw denim, but yet people like you still pay upwards of $100 for them. Hilarious. Really.
That's fine! All that you said about quality could very well be valid and is constructive to this thread. What I was laughing at was the claim of what are "urban trends" and the stores being "behind in the trends" or whatever. Because I think that myself, and many other people on this thread, aren't really caring so much about what is arbitrarily in style at any given moment, something that seems to concern you. THAT was what I was commenting on...not quality or money spent.

Lest you forget that you were the one that came on here saying that "people are sooo 2003" or whatever, if they're wearing True Religion or whatnot.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:

All I was trying to say is that most people in the US who buy premium denim, have the greatest access to those stores, so that influences what they purchase. I live in a fairly big city in the US (San Diego) and even here there's not a fantastic selection of specialty boutiques. Online shopping, although available, does not typically entice people to try new brands. People generally speaking will buy brands that that are already familiar with, and have seen in person.
I live in Atlanta, a fairly big city, but not exactly a "fashion capitol"..lol Outside of Lenox and Phipps Plaza in Buckhead and L5P there really isnt a great selection of specialty boutiques here either. But yet Tru's, Sevens, and R&R's and other gawdy, cheaply made brands are on their way out here as well.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
That's fine! All that you said about quality could very well be valid and is constructive to this thread. What I was laughing at was the claim of what are "urban trends" and the stores being "behind in the trends" or whatever. Because I think that myself, and many other people on this thread, aren't really caring so much about what is arbitrarily in style at any given moment, something that seems to concern you. THAT was what I was commenting on...not quality or money spent.

Lest you forget that you were the one that came on here saying that "people are sooo 2003" or whatever, if they're wearing True Religion or whatnot.

Like my last post said, all trends aside, Tru's, R&R's and the like are very cheaply made, and quite frankly not worth the money. All you are paying for is the U or the R's on the back on the pockets. If you take the name of the jeans itself away and compare Tru's side by side with say some Nudies you will no doubt see the difference in the quality of the denim, and they are the same exact same price. And if paying $150 for a pair of cheaply made jeans with a U stitched on the back pocket is not trying to be trendy then I dont know what is. If you were not trying to be trendy then you would have saved $75 and bought some jeans from Express or somewhere like that, because they are basically the same thing. If you were buying Levi's, Cheap Mondays, or Wrangler jeans then I wouldnt come in here and say Tru's are outdated. Because it would be obvious that you were just concerned about comfort. But if you are going to spend that much money on jeans, wouldnt you want to make sure that at least they are still in style? Seriously dont play yourself. You wouldnt spend premium money on a 15 year old Audi, so why spend premium money for old, played out jeans?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 PM

88 posts, read 169,309 times
Classic, comfortable and flattering. Pockets sit in just the right place, and are just the right size for woman who's blessed with a booty. I've never had more compliments than when I'm in Levi's.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,940,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Like my last post said, all trends aside, Tru's, R&R's and the like are very cheaply made, and quite frankly not worth the money. All you are paying for is the U or the R's on the back on the pockets. If you take the name of the jeans itself away and compare Tru's side by side with say some Nudies you will no doubt see the difference in the quality of the denim, and they are the same exact same price. And if paying $150 for a pair of cheaply made jeans with a U stitched on the back pocket is not trying to be trendy then I dont know what is. If you were not trying to be trendy then you would have saved $75 and bought some jeans from Express or somewhere like that, because they are basically the same thing. If you were buying Levi's, Cheap Mondays, or Wrangler jeans then I wouldnt come in here and say Tru's are outdated. Because it would be obvious that you were just concerned about comfort. But if you are going to spend that much money on jeans, wouldnt you want to make sure that at least they are still in style? Seriously dont play yourself. You wouldnt spend premium money on a 15 year old Audi, so why spend premium money for old, played out jeans?
I think I must be not articulating myself well enough.

All I'm trying to say, is that I previously bought premium denim because of how I felt the cuts flattered my body better than cheaper denim (which I didn't give much of a chance) and because I felt that they would last longer. I fell into the thought of more expensive = better overall. Many of the "premium" jeans I own are quite plain dark washes, without "fancy" back pocket stitching. I used to really like plan Seven For All Mankind "dojo" style jeans, if you want to know.

As I said before, you may very well be correct that less known brands are better quality for comparable money. No one is challenging you on this.

Now, I don't mean to get into semantics, but the ironic thing is is that you keep saying "Tru's" which I'm assuming you mean True Religion--I don't even wear/like that brand! I did mention that in my initial thread as an example of "premium" denim, however I have one pair of that brand which I purchased from an Off Saks store for $49 that I've probably worn 5 times in my life. I think that the True Religion jeans with all the faux gemstones and huge stitching as rather unbecoming, to be completely honest.

I'm not entirely sure what it means to "play" oneself, but I assure you that's not my intention.

In summation, I just meant to say that I'm surprised how cheaper jeans seem to have better fits/washes/quality than I previously expected. That is all.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM

37,707 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:
In summation, I just meant to say that I'm surprised how cheaper jeans seem to have better fits/washes/quality than I previously expected. That is all.
And I agree with that. I've tried on the "premium" brands, and they don't do a thing for me that the cheaper brands won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty