Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,156 times

Advertisements

Has anyone shopped Banana Republic, Gap, and Old Navy recently enough to give an honest comparison of the jeans? Is there a meaningful difference in quality/appearance/fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
The "fit" is going to depend on your figure. Not the brand. Gap fits some women better, Old Navy fits others better. Jeans are made with basically the same material. The main difference would be that some lines use a heavier weave. It's your choice as to which is the most comfortable for you.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The "fit" is going to depend on your figure. Not the brand. Gap fits some women better, Old Navy fits others better. Jeans are made with basically the same material. The main difference would be that some lines use a heavier weave. It's your choice as to which is the most comfortable for you.

This.

Old Navy is great for "trendy" cuts that you might wear for only one season because the jeans are inexpensive. The cloth is not very heavy and has a tendency to stretch quite a lot. The Gap actually has the "trendiest" cuts IMHO but I think their jeans are kind of overpriced if you're going for a trend, though their jeans are also durable and will last a long time if you're going for a basic, classic cut.

The inseams on the clothes are also different; BR seems to fit taller, leggier women better than ON or Gap and their regular-length inseams are longer than ON's. I think that BR's denim is kind of overpriced for what it is, though they sometimes have good sales. I personally wouldn't buy jeans at BR because you can get just as good quality at Gap for less money.

However if you want to get a pair of jeans that will last you a decade, I would skip all three stores and head straight for my nearest department store that stocks Levi's.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
I have to wear BR-I can't wear Old Navy-the crotch hangs too low...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Denim is all in the label. Don't buy cheapo jeans.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,062 times
I don't wear Old Navy clothing - It's my experience that the quality is poor. Gap clothing is a bit "young" for my taste. BR clothing is OK but, I don't buy their jeans. I've bought some nice work blouses and skirts there though.

I find that good 'ol Levis fit me best and last the longest.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
I don't really shop at BR. But old navy is owned by gap and is the "discount gap" with more generous cuts and moderately everyday stylish. Gap also owns BR.

I think BR and can be overpriced for what it is (some gap stuff too). If I am going to spend almost 100$ bucks on jeans they are going to be levis. Those and diesel jeans last the longest in my experience. I think gap and levi's are the best for affordable denim variety though. And I love that with levi's you can just search for a 3 code style number.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM

221 posts, read 798,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My husband gets his from the Gap and I think has one from Old Navy. The Gap gets my vote in fit and quality. BR is just a higher end Gap, so the quality should be good as well. I wore jeans from the Gap when I was younger and they looked nice.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
ON is on the end of being cheaper while BR is on the end of being more expensive than usual. I shop at GAP and BR, and I would say that you can get better denim pants from different department. IMO, GAP and BR are usually known for their good qualities on other styles (blouses, dress pants, etc). That's where I shop for my sophisticate look.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
ON jeans rarely fit me well...their shaping is just off. They used to be a go-to inexpensive pair of jeans for me, but then they changed their styling significantly, and they always look ill-fitting, now. Gap jeans are okay for basic, classic cuts. I've never gotten jeans at BR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty