Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

To me Levi's are the go-to classic but the last pair of Levi's I bought reeks of mothballs, even after a trip through the washing machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 AM

23 posts, read 84,957 times
GAP wins. Hands down, for quality and fit. I just wish they had better options.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
They're all owned by the same company. I have both ON and BR jeans.

ON jeans don't hold the shape as well when wearing, cheaper material, and I have trouble with the sizing because it's inconsistent. One size 2 will fit different then another identical jean size two.

The BR jeans have washed better over the years too.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Guys you get what you pay for with all three of those stores. To say BR is expensive yes. But the fit, the style, and the quality is way better than GAP and especially ON. For a guy Gap clothes are a little too casual and everything is cotton. BR actually offers wool, and cotton/polyester combos in lots of their men's clothes. BR actually has very nice clothes for a decent price. They are much more sophisticated than Gap. I wouldn't be caught dead in ON clothes unless I was 18-21 years old or younger. They are cheap.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Has anyone shopped Banana Republic, Gap, and Old Navy recently enough to give an honest comparison of the jeans? Is there a meaningful difference in quality/appearance/fit?

They are all the same company...BR is more high end scaled...
The funny thing is I used to do software and hardware support for their computers and systems..And most of those women who worked in the stores, Im not saying all but most of them..Would act so snobby just because they sold clothes..Some of them would try and talk down to me so I told them when you get your computer engineering degree then I'll listen to you, until then I have mine so let me do my job and fix your system
So really there is no difference in quality in the clothes

Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Banana Republic jeans never fit me in the hips, they make them too wide in the hips for me and the rise is too short. I do like the quailty of the denim but the fit doesn't suit me.

Gap jeans fit me better and I like the 1969 denim jeans they have.

Old Navy... the quality isn't there.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 AM

415 posts, read 1,779,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Guys you get what you pay for with all three of those stores. To say BR is expensive yes. But the fit, the style, and the quality is way better than GAP and especially ON. For a guy Gap clothes are a little too casual and everything is cotton. BR actually offers wool, and cotton/polyester combos in lots of their men's clothes. BR actually has very nice clothes for a decent price. They are much more sophisticated than Gap. I wouldn't be caught dead in ON clothes unless I was 18-21 years old or younger. They are cheap.
I would have to completely disagree. I have literally seen the identical item at all three stores, with only tiny, minor variations in color or design, and the BR version is triple the price. More, when you factor in discounts and clearance sales.

The quality of fabrics and workmanship is not up to par at BR at all.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I've only shopped at ON recently. I wear their Sweetheart bootcut jeans, which fit very well and hold their shape nicely (1% spandex). I agree about the weird sizing, though. I just bought my daughter a pair of Sweethearts in her size, and although they fit perfectly in the store, the pair I bought online get super baggy throughout the day. I don't get it. I can't recommend ON jeans for anyone but myself.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've only shopped at ON recently. I wear their Sweetheart bootcut jeans, which fit very well and hold their shape nicely (1% spandex). I agree about the weird sizing, though. I just bought my daughter a pair of Sweethearts in her size, and although they fit perfectly in the store, the pair I bought online get super baggy throughout the day. I don't get it. I can't recommend ON jeans for anyone but myself.
This is true of all jeans but especially of ON jeans...when they are manufactured they are cut to size in a stack. The fabric on the top of the stack is always cut to a different size than the fabric on the bottom of the stack due to the fabric shifting as it's cut. This is inevitable. ON does have more "size shift" than some other brands but I haven't found price to be a huge factor in this phenomenon. It exists at all price points, some brands more so than others.

Luckily ON is VERY good at taking back online purchases. I have never had a problem returning an online purchase to a brick and mortar store. The only things you can't return in person are the online exclusives.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Banana Republic feels like its made for older people. I'm 25 and I can't picture myself wearing that brand. Its definitely too preppy for me anyways but there are better brands for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty