Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I'm not sure many people in North America know what Nudies are... most stores don't sell them.. and if they do they are too high priced for people to buy them.. or they think the quality is just as insufficient as rock and republics or something when in actuality they are quite good quality!

I feel you but this thread is full of people talking about denim brands like Tru Religon, 7 for all Mankind, and R&R's. Nudies and APC's dont cost anymore than Tru Religon's, 7's, and R&R's. If you can afford one, then you can afford the other. And on top of that with Nudies, APC's, and other good selvage brands you are actually paying for quality denim. People who buy Tru's and R&R's are just paying for a symbol on the back pocket. The quality of denim is very cheap compared to Nudies and APC's, but yet they all cost the same. Not to mention but IMO Tru's, R&R's, and 7's look to over the top and gawdy with the symbols on the back pockets, I just like something simple. But hey to each his own, but Im strating to see the tide turn in favor of selvage brands anyway, Tru Religons and the like are already starting to get played out. The minute I saw fake Tru Religon and 7 jeans in flea markets and swap meets I knew that the end of that fad was near.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
How old are you all?????? LOL....R&R's, Tru Religons, Seven for all Mankind are kind of played out (very played out actually), those brands are premium only in price. Designs on back pockets and a bunch of crazy different rinses are so 2004-2006 (). Its all about simple selvedge denim now. Just a nice raw cut with a nice indigo rinse in dark blue, black or grey. APC's, Nudies, Samaraui, Naked & Famous, Edwin Sewn is the new generation of premium denim. You couldnt pay me to wear some Tru's or Seven's right now. I sold all my Tru's and Seven's years ago. Im strickly a APC, Nudie wearer now
Not to burst your bubble, but if you were to go into most all high-end department stores in the US (Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, etc) probably 90% of their ladies premium denim selection is going to entail Seven jeans, True Religion, Rick & Skinny, Rock & Republic, Paige Denim...and perhaps 2-3 other major brands I'm forgetting.

And yes, I've heard of those brands your mentioning but most of those aren't found in major stores here in the US. Plus...saying something was "so 3 years ago?" ...how old are you? LOL I feel like I'm watching Clueless.

I will say, though that I do live G-Star and I'm fortunate to have a boutique here where I live. I especially love their jackets, more so than the denim.

I'm not trying to pick on you, just realize that many people purchase what they're exposed to--and the vast majority of premium denim widely available here in the US are the aforementioned brands.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Do you mean Earnest Sewn?

..thanx

Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but if you were to go into most all high-end department stores in the US (Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, etc) probably 90% of their ladies premium denim selection is going to entail Seven jeans, True Religion, Rick & Skinny, Rock & Republic, Paige Denim...and perhaps 2-3 other major brands I'm forgetting.

And yes, I've heard of those brands your mentioning but most of those aren't found in major stores here in the US. Plus...saying something was "so 3 years ago?" ...how old are you? LOL I feel like I'm watching Clueless.

I will say, though that I do live G-Star and I'm fortunate to have a boutique here where I live. I especially love their jackets, more so than the denim.
Umm sorry but IMO Neiman Marcus, Bloomies, Saks and others are usually slightly late in regards to urban trends. For a good suit or a dress shirt you can't beat Neimans or Saks. But for denim I'd rather shop at a boutique like Wish or Bill Halman here in Atlanta, Blue in Green in NYC or even online. And most people I know feel that way as well, people who shop at stores like that for street clothes dont know any better IMO. Even some of the high end Dept. stores are stepping their denim game up. Bloomingdales still does sale brands like Seven, but they also revamped their collection and started carrying APC, Naked & Famous, Samauri, and other selvage brands. They evidently knew they were behind the 8 ball with that one as I remember the promotional emails they sent me were about how they were overhauling their denim collection. They wouldnt have had that big marketing campaign if they thought they were still up to date with their collection.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
I'm planning on picking up some "better" mall jeans from the limited for $70; I think the detailing and fit are pretty good. In the last few years I've worn a lot of $12 cheapy Forever 21 jeans. I have a dark stretchy pair on right now that was even cheaper, $9.50, I think... looks good on me though. I am a small size and can get away with it. I don't believe in high end jeans generally.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:12 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Umm sorry but IMO Neiman Marcus, Bloomies, Saks and others are usually slightly late in regards to urban trends. For a good suit or a dress shirt you can't beat Neimans or Saks. But for denim I'd rather shop at a boutique like Wish or Bill Halman here in Atlanta, Blue in Green in NYC or even online. And most people I know feel that way as well, people who shop at stores like that for street clothes dont know any better IMO. Even some of the high end Dept. stores are stepping their denim game up. Bloomingdales still does sale brands like Seven, but they also revamped their collection and started carrying APC, Naked & Famous, Samauri, and other selvage brands. They evidently knew they were behind the 8 ball with that one as I remember the promotional emails they sent me were about how they were overhauling their denim collection. They wouldnt have had that big marketing campaign if they thought they were still up to date with their collection.

Not all of us find urban trends appealing, regardless of what we have in our bank accounts.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
You don't know most people.

Get over yourself.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Not all of us find urban trends appealing, regardless of what we have in our bank accounts.
LOL....If you wear Tru Religon, Seven, and the like you wear an urban trend.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You don't know most people.

Get over yourself.

Your right, but I know clothes and trends well enough to know that Tru Religons, R&R's and the like have run their course.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Quote:
I never said that were "not late" on "on time" on whatever you people call it with "urban trends." Where did you get that? What the hell does urban trend even mean?! (and no, I'm not really asking for a definition...that was mostly rhetorical)

All I was trying to say is that most people in the US who buy premium denim, have the greatest access to those stores, so that influences what they purchase. I live in a fairly big city in the US (San Diego) and even here there's not a fantastic selection of specialty boutiques. Online shopping, although available, does not typically entice people to try new brands. People generally speaking will buy brands that that are already familiar with, and have seen in person.

And...I think the biggest question is...who cares? I couldn't give two sh*ts if what I'm wearing is the "newest and best" in whatever trend is the trendiest of them all. I'm too old for that (and I don't just mean my age...). If you want to, or have the time to, get into that--fine, whatever. Just don't expect that most people care.

I, as the OP, creating this post based primarily on the fit and quality of premium denim vs. less expensive denim. I was surprised that the selection and quality of cheaper denim seems to have improved. Not the stylish-ness or trendiness of it or (insert whatever lingo is being used this week).

Last edited by thepinksquid; 11-24-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty