Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,890 times

Advertisements

You can invest in a nice brown fall leather jacket. Wear long sweaters with a romantic flair. Textured long sleeve shirts over a plain white shirt. You can wear corduroys by Ralph Lauren. You wear them with Timberland boots. White North Polo fleece jackets. Lacasta polo shirts. Just to name a few things.

"Consulting image seekers to achieve a sophisticated new
look."

forimageseekers@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
In their forties women can wear things they couldn't wear previously... Even if they have to cover up more.

Think about it like this: At work women in their 40s can wear really, really expensive and stylish skirts and more ornate blouses. Think Ralph Lauren, which is very difficult if not impossible for a younger woman to pull off. Older women can look more "well put together" than younger women and that's part of the gift of being, well... not in your twenties anymore (Nor in denial of not being in your twenties, also known as your thirties).

When I reach my forties I'm going to go with a lot of very classic looks, god willing.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,585 times
I'm turning 40 soon, and I wear whatever I damn well please!
I watch "What Not To Wear" and like it, but sometimes I bristle at some of the things they tell women over 35-like only wear skirts to the knee, no shorter; don't wear anything with rhinestones/sparkles (I break this "rule" all the time), and to throw out all our hoodies-I LOVE hoodies!!
I wouldn't go as far as to walk around with the top of my thong hanging out of the top of my jeans, or to wear a top with my boobs in clear view, but sorry-I don't like those pointy witch-shoes that Stacey's always pushing the women to wear ( I don't wear heels at all) and I see nothing wrong with Ugg boots, sparkles, animal prints, hoodies, or skater sneakers on a woman over 35.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
What do we wear in our 40s? Anything I damn well please. I'm the same size I was when I finished high school (5'7" and 120 lbs) and I look great, so I wear whatever I want.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,457 times
I agree. I'm 41 and I have earned the right to wear what ever I feel like wearing. Granted most of the time around the house that might consist of sweats and tshirts. But I'm in my own home!!! I'm not going to sit around in designer jeans and heels just relaxing in my home.

If I go out, I might get dressed up, then again, I might not.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
try stores like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft and J.Crew.
Three of My FAVORITES!!! Perfect.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:01 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,173 times
Clothes....I'm bettin' on clothes;did I win

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
What to Wear for Women over Forty

Anything they wore at 30 with a better bra.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 AM

4 posts, read 18,270 times
Wink Still trying!!!

There must be something about turning 40 that affects the way i see myself, it's not really that different to being 39 but my whole sense of who i am and what i like has gone somewhat cloudy I was so adventurous in my teens and twenty's and luckily i could carry off most styles without any effort (or i could look effortless). My problem is still what i wear, i am 5' 8'', i am of slime build but i know my body is starting to make very gradual changes, especially my hips and waist which is affecting my size and so the way i feel about myself and the clothes i want to wear. At what point do i stop trying to make a trend i like my own, when do i start to wear my jeans high on my waist instead of low slung on my hips and with comfy shoes instead of tucked into long boots with a nice heel? I don't want to have to dress for comfort, i ant to look good and i want to be confident enough to not worry whether i can carry off the lastest fashion because it isn't meant for older women. I am trying to hold on and hope i will settle into my 40's without too much more disturbance to my image and until then i will continue to rely on my seven jeans, cowboy boots and ahite tank or t-shirt, i'm still wearing my hair long and wavy and i will still wear my new bikini on the beach in 3 weeks...i keep telling myself i'm a long time dead so enjoy what i can while i can, that there is so much more going on in the world to worry and fret about if i reall ywant to help those lines on my face win the battle of the moisturise and tone every day and no matter how often the insecurities i'm plagued with raise their head and whisper to me about how i look fat or like mutton or just plain old, i can still beat them down with a little retail therapy...i have my health, my sense of humour, my career and my still cute butt what more do i really need????????????

Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
It all depends. I've seen some women who have stayed in great shape wearing form-fitting clothes. I've also seen some curvier women wearing stuff that's not as tight, but still very flattering for their size. I don't believe that, once you hit 40, you should start/stop dressing a certain way, but I do believe that you should dress for your body type, as well as for a particular occasion (i.e. not wearing a skimpy outfit during a formal event, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty