Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,911,903 times

Advertisements

I think a woman's figure is a more important consideration than her age, within reason of course. (no tube tops, that sort of thing) Someone mentioned leggings as being "out" for women over 40, but JJill has some cute leggings with tops that look very classy, on the right figure. I just stick with classic styles.

My 18 year old son recently said something that blew my mind. I was heading out to the gym as I frequently do, and he said, "why bother, who cares if you get fat, you're old".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think a woman's figure is a more important consideration than her age, within reason of course. (no tube tops, that sort of thing) Someone mentioned leggings as being "out" for women over 40, but JJill has some cute leggings with tops that look very classy, on the right figure. I just stick with classic styles.

My 18 year old son recently said something that blew my mind. I was heading out to the gym as I frequently do, and he said, "why bother, who cares if you get fat, you're old".
How many of his bones did you break ?? lol

Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,929 times
millie61 - your teenager needs a talking to. How dare he say that to the women who brought him into this world?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 PM

no my Son wouldn't dare say that to me I replied to what someone else had written - lol read and you will understand

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,683,101 times
Lol.....

Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,929 times
Even though that is probably what most teenagers are thinking. Young people think us over 40 gals are ready for the rocking chair and completely off anyones radar

Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 AM

No I have 2 Sons (24 & 18) they dont think like that they are pleased that Mum still dresses well and goes out.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,911,903 times
It was me that originally posted about my 18 year old son's comment. And I still dress well and go out, but my son just doesn't think it's necessary to stay in shape at my "advanced" age of 44. As he sees it, I'm married and middle-aged, and keeping in shape just isn't necessary. Then again, to him a can of Spaghetti-O's is a well-rounded meal.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,052,611 times
I think people should wear what they want to - within reason - at any age. Women "over 40" shouldn't dress like they're 18 years old. IMHO, many 18 year olds shouldn't be dressing like they do, either!

A couple of years ago you couldn't buy any jeans that weren't low rise - and of course, everyone tried to tell you not to wear "mom jeans". I bought some of them and felt really uncomfortable.... I think that's the key. If you have to question something that you're wearing is "right" for you. It's probably not!

As a creative person over 40, I wear what I want to. I don't follow trends. I wear comfortable clothing and comfortable shoes....

If it doesn't feel good - I don't wear it!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
I went through the same crisis in my 50s. I had to figure out "my" style and not just go with the trends so much anymore.

You can find nice things on ebay for a good price. The best brands for mature women (I don't know what to call us, but we're not old) -- seem to be Eileen Fisher, Coldwater Creek, J Jill, J. Crew, Talbots, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor. Maybe I left some out. I know that J Jill actually caters to our age group!! Their clothing is beautiful.

I stay away from cutesy, sexy styles and trendy kid fads. A nice skirt with a tee, although I've switched to tees with vee necks or a little ruffle or embellishment -- not the plain old tee anymore, I needed something a teeny bit more sophisticated, not so sporty.

In hot weather for casual times, I wear sundresses from Fresh Produce (bought on ebay) -- they're all cotton and are cute and comfy and casual. Peasant blouses are cute and you can wear them with bermudas or a skirt. I do keep the skirts just below the knee because that is said to be the most flattering length for anyone at any age.

In cold weather, cashmere sweaters and sweater sets, longer style skirts, black pants. Nice down jacket and long down coat. Hoodies, fleece jackets and vests for when it's cool out, not freezing.

Shoes--I love clogs. I even have boiled wool clogs that I wear all winter. Sandals in summer but nice brands, pretty sandals. Heels--sensible and comfy, not stilts!

I'll always wear Levi's but I also found some jeans that came in a TALL length from Newport News. Yes, they have a little bit of elastic in the back but it doesn't show.

So I think the answer is to go a little more sophisticated and classic. If you're the artsy type, then skip the classic and go for something like Coldwater Creek. (and if you can't afford the store prices, don't forget ebay for the same name brands--I sell clothing on ebay and that's where I learned the good brands for our age group.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty