Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,443,284 times

Advertisements

I am not sure, if this was mentioned here already...but....PLEASE stay away from TUBE TOPS.....arrggghhh......LOL
I know, they are "in" right now, and all the rage...but, I found them to be looking cute and good on younger teenagers only....LOL.
I am heading towards the big 4-0 as well, and find myself (as previously suggested on here) aiming more towards tailored and well fitting clothing.
I also found that I outgrew the short shorts and skinny mini skirt stages.....LOL...aiming for pieces, which are a bit longer (1 to 2 inches above knee...or bottom mid thigh)
Just because we are getting older, does not mean that we can't be comfortable AND stylish at the same time.
Trial and error, as well as patience, is of essence and key here.
It will be a test of your nerves and patience, to find that perfect place, shop or store (where you will find the perfect style and clothes you will end up looking like a million bucks in.)

A good advice also (speaking from experience)....It does help, to have your brutally honest best friend tagging along with you....to give a second, honest opinion on how and what something looks like on you, and what colors and styles you should be concentrating on....while weeding and eliminating others.
Word of caution though: Even though I count my husband as my best friend....he's of no use in that particular task....LOL....and just leaves me frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,705,281 times
Hell, if I was a size 2 at age 40,I wonder if I could get by with still wearing what I felt I looked good in, or comfortable in? LOL...
I don`t know.....just because I`m 40 now, doesn`t mean I am dead yet, and have to dress like a granny, but then there IS a stopping point to it as well.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,268,789 times
Smile Women in their 40's and beyond

I mean I wish I was Heather Locklear, a look alike anyway but sometimes when I see women wearing skirts and dresses, their legs like so hideous.
Their legs look downright ugly.

So, do you have to wear long pants all the time?

Suggestions?

(I am more of a classic dresser myself).

Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,863,199 times
Quote:
...but sometimes when I see women wearing skirts and dresses, their legs like so hideous. Their legs look downright ugly.
No, their legs just don't look 20 anymore. A few spider veins, a few wrinkles, who really gives a damn?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 PM

355 posts, read 991,586 times
Always dress in classic pieces. Nothing worse than an older women trying to dress all trendy. Stick with classics and you can always add a trendy accessory if you like.

IMO, a woman over 45 should be wearing longer shorts (bermuda style) and skirts that are no shorter than just above the knee. Show your legs if they are great.... but no more minis or short shorts.

Oh, and all this talk about flip flops on this forum.....yes, an older woman could wear cute flip flops (my version is more like a thong sandal)....but make sure you have those pedicures and use a pumice stone.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,473,270 times
time to dress like grandma, act your age

Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,443,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
time to dress like grandma, act your age
HUH????
Well, sorry...but I guess I am going to leave THAT for other people.....LOL....
I am heading towards the big 4-0, but look like (so I am told numerous times) I'm in my mid to late 20's.
To be honest with you, I would look absolutely ridiculous wearing "older" style clothes.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,968,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Hell, if I was a size 2 at age 40,I wonder if I could get by with still wearing what I felt I looked good in, or comfortable in? LOL...
I don`t know.....just because I`m 40 now, doesn`t mean I am dead yet, and have to dress like a granny, but then there IS a stopping point to it as well.
This goes back to wear what you want to wear, feel comfortable in and feel confident in! Who cares what anyone else thinks? If you wear something and feel uncomfortable that you are getting stares, then you obviously aren't feeling good about it, so don't wear it.

I'm 40, a size 0. I look better than I ever did in my 20's. I feel better than I ever did in my 20's. I don't dress like a granny. Then again, I don't dress like most women I know .
I recently had my dear friend who is a professional photography take pictures as a gift to my hubby. I posted pictures on my website in a blog I wrote about it. (website in profile).

I know many of you out there would say I need to start dressing my age if you saw the pictures. But I feel I can pull it off, so have never been too concerned about others opinions. I think if a lot of women felt they could pull it off they would.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,585,746 times
I love the style of the forties and fifties. The tailored suits were impeccable as well as the evening wear. I know that I will continue to dress this way when I'm in my forties...it's a timeless look

Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,949 times
Diane Von Furstenberg.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
We don`t want to look like we are trying to be in our 20`s again, but yet, we don`t want to dress like an old lady either.
It seems that when I go out to shop for clothes, there is no in between style, or is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty