Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,386,246 times

Advertisements

My 14 y/o son has coind a term for when we go out shopping, "OPC" = Old Peoples Clothes. Used like, "No mom, don't get that shirt, OPC." My response, "Thanks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 17,798 times
I am 42 and I wear clam pants and kurta tops that are not too big, and make me look good....a good place to get clothes that are decent and do not cost a fortune are at the thirft store...yard sales....and flea markets....however Kohl's does have nice clothing that does look too old and it also depends on your taste in clothes and what you really like....if you are happy in it go for it...as long you are not showing you whole body...you can cover up and still look nice if the clothing is cut right....hope this helps...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 AM

167 posts, read 558,405 times
I think the best advice for anyone who doesn't know quite what to wear, whether they're in the 30s, 40s, or 50s, etc. is to find someone's style you like and to mimic it until you develop your own personal style.

Also, the big difference between fashion under 40 vs. over 40 is about accessories. When you're younger accessories don't really matter, but after 40 it's all about the accessories as much as how well clothes fit, look, etc.

What do I mean by accessories??? It's not just about jewelry, handbags, shoes, etc. but first and foremost about personal maintenance and good health -- hair, skin, nails, and living well. Ultimately, it's about being polished yet not contrived. That's what "style" is over 40.

I am 43 and have been the same size 4 the last 20+ years so for me it's not about "what I can pull off," it's about being authentic.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM

369 posts, read 1,962,726 times
Default 43 and not over the hill yet

I feel like I look ok most of the time. I really try and make sure that what I am buying is not too young, and if I have any doubts, my girls, 16 and 10 are only too happy to clear it up for me!

I have always been a sort of "preppy" dresser - what my mom always called "classic". I feel comfortable in what I wear and feel like I have not thrown in the towel just because I am over 40. If anything, I am more mindful about working with what I have! For the most part, I wear a lot of Charter Club from Macy's, Lands' End, J. Crew, and pieces from Target that look as good as a lot of the more expensive brands. I think the most important thing is knowing what looks good on YOU, and wearing many variations of that look, you know what I mean?

Also, since it has been 3 kids and a few years since I was 20, I have to accommodate the body I really have - not the one I had before, not the one that I WISH I had..the one I actually have. If I find something that fits and looks good, I buy it in several colors, that way I have a formula for success instead of trying to cram myself into pants that are for bodies that have not lived as long as I have...

Coming from CA, with what I consider to be a fairly youth focused culture, I do feel some pressure. It seems that 40 is the new 30...the good thing is that for most part I have always dressed the way I do now, so it won't matter if when I am 50 it is the new 40 - I will not modify my look that much.

Well, probably more than you wanted to hear, really, but I think in simple terms, wear what you feel good in and what looks good on you!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,397,567 times
i am 43 and wear what i have always worn-Wranglers or Levi jeans, my favorite custom cowboy boots, pearl snap button down shirts or t-shirts, cowboy hat or baseball hat...that's about it. but then again, i live in Texas

Old 07-06-2008, 02:08 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,882,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Sleveless tops are iffy....Skirts that are too long. Tops that try to cover the hips, they always make the butt look even bigger. Heavy sweaters, turtlenecks. Again, they just add unneeded bulk to older women.

Avoid all things loose, baggy, shapeless, and elastic. Buy clothes with tailoring.

I think this is different based on body type- not age. My mother is 58 and constantly complaining she can't find the right kind of clothes. She sticks to Lord and Taylor- loves Ralph Lauren... anyway- she is tone, very tall with long legs, and very thin... so, much of the above suggestion does not apply to her. She has a great figure- but doesn't want to wear slinky clothes- as she feels that isn't age appropriate (and I do agree)... but she does want to have flare/pizaz/punch/be shi-shi la-la and look hip... I really don't know WHY they don't have more clothes that apply to this age group of women... something needs to be done.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,299,233 times
I have problems finding anything recently too. I think clothing overall takes a down turn in the summer. And recently not to much looks flattering or appealing. I am in between age sets.
Other stores:

EXPRESS

Anthropologie.com > Welcome to Anthropologie

Neiman Marcus*-*Apparel for Her

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 07-06-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 01:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,355,765 times
I wear alot of White and Black...
Low Rise jeans too..They are way more comfy than high rise jeans. I am 5'8 so I do not like those kinds of pants lol........
I am 43 and dress hip I think. I will never wear polyester ever............

Tahari pants (more tailored fit)from Neiman or Nordie's *Nordstroms*........
Macy's too.........

Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,343,270 times
I'm in my 40s, I wear jeans (seven, joe's), linen, prefer monochromatic looks, natural fibers, and loooove dresses.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,696,529 times
Try this

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty