Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,384,726 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pics cryspatus. A question for those in the know. The jeans that Cindy Crawford has on with the red ruffled blouse, are those considered boyfriend? I usually just stick with fitted bootcut jeans w/stretch. But today, I tried on what were labeled "boyfriend" cut jeans. Not sure about the fit. Are they supposed to be tight or somewhat loose? My perspective is skewed from always wearing my fitted stretchy jeans!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 AM

47 posts, read 78,195 times
Smile Sugetions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Yeah, please let me know too. Not only have I reached the big 4-0, I'm also definitely not of the body for hoochie mama clothes! But, I don't want grandma clothes either.
Though I am not yet 40, I would like to give you some tips because my job is designing clothes. A linen Kurtha with linen adjustable pants , Tops done by linen fabric go with linen three quartes , .Mostly the clothes which are very rich in the fabric as well as the stiches. Then even if you are old, no body will look at you . They ll look at the clothes. Matching flip flop s or a leather pair of sandles will give you the real lady look. Try and let me know...........Do not forget to get a bulky hand bag. It will give you a look os 30 s............

Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
I am 40 now and I can see that, it dose mater how prety you are people think ,you are old and no one look at you,this very anoyes me.I dont know what to wear please help me.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,306,047 times
For comfort, buy fabrics like gabardine, or even jersey knit. No sense looking good if you're not comfortable. When trying on pants, wear the shoes you'll be pairing with them later. Keep heel height below three inches; buy a half size bigger than you normally wear, and use shoe inserts. Great patent pumps always look polished.

As for style, it seems so many blouses currently have sleeves that are way too long; not practical for work. Stay away from ruffles and cute-sy type ties and bows. Classic colors can be mixed and matched for dozens of different outfits. I love gray with peach, red, black, off-white, or cranberry colors. Wide belts and scarves can improve a plain dress. Know what colors you can wear without looking washed out or sickly. Stay away from anything too tight.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 AM

796 posts, read 1,846,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks for the pics cryspatus. A question for those in the know. The jeans that Cindy Crawford has on with the red ruffled blouse, are those considered boyfriend? I usually just stick with fitted bootcut jeans w/stretch. But today, I tried on what were labeled "boyfriend" cut jeans. Not sure about the fit. Are they supposed to be tight or somewhat loose? My perspective is skewed from always wearing my fitted stretchy jeans!!
Boyfriend jeans are loose fitting...as if they were guy's jeans.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 AM

796 posts, read 1,846,535 times
I am 43, and have always been picky about what I wear.

I believe (for me):

You have to dress for your body. I personally don't like loose fitting clothing (like J.Jill, etc), but I don't wear super tight clothes either. Age-appropriate clothing is important as well. There's nothing worse than a woman trying to look 20 years younger by dressing like a teenager.

I love classic, simple styles that you can dress up or down with accessories. I love to shop at

I always wear a heeled shoe with jeans...never sneakers, but that's just me. I do wear flip flops and sandals especially in the summer

I love dresses that are fitted on top and have a slight a-line...or a sheath dress.

I wear Levis jeans, because they're the best fitting for my body type. I don't like "mom" or loose fitting jeans; I prefer a boot cut or straight leg.

I don't do capris (I'm only 5'2" and they make me look smaller) or prints (that's just me)

Always buy the best quality you can afford...it makes a huge difference in fit, finish and durability. I'd rather spend $150 on pants that fit amazingly well than to spend $40 on numerous pants that don't quite do the trick.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,603,115 times
Well I am just over mid 40's and I haven't changed my dress all that much from my 20's so to speak, with the exception of super short skirts or shorts. I get compliments on a lot of my clothes, often times from the youngsters.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,292,744 times
Default take care of your skin, hair and body-- do whatever works for you

I have a variation of this outfit on today and feel old. My hair is actually in an up do. Really I think it is all about keeping young looking skin, something the Europeans seem to know a lot about..... Whatever works for you-- Botox, facelifts, facial exercises, Retin-A, LED light treatments, dermarolling, facersizers, copper peptides, etc. If you maintan your figure, something that is impossible to do it seems since it's all related to perimenopause/hormonal shifts-- clothes, whatever you wear, will look better. I've always been thin and now look like a short bony thing, nothing looks good, really have to work out more, but have no energy. The bottom line is, if your face (and body and hair) look old, no matter what you wear, it's gonna look bad. I've decided to keep my 30 something style and do super anti aging treatments for my face and highlights in my hair. Clothes have been a hard issue for me for years, I am so short and small boned. I feel like I can manage it better than I could a few years ago, because I finally got serious about my skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
for french its black & white, hair in a bun.
works great they look great

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,283,185 times
I am in my mid 50's and a 'small' plus size, long story and workin on it, but I pretty much wear what I wore 10 years ago just larger! Usually capris, not loose, not tight, and a nice 3/4 sleeve shirt...lots of color and if I am heading out, accessorize. Hair and makeup help too. I am what I am.. Nothing worse than someone my age trying to look like they are 20 again. Ain't happening folks!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,692,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivina40 View Post
I am 40 now and I can see that, it dose mater how prety you are people think ,you are old and no one look at you,this very anoyes me.I dont know what to wear please help me.
Welcome to this crap phase of our lives. 40 y.o. women are rarely looked at like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty