Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 12:38 AM

7,685 posts, read 1,286,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
On rare occasion, we've had women posting here, who say they can't get the attention of any guys their age, because they're often mistaken for teenagers (two of these women were in their 30's). This is more typical of women who are petite, but can happen to others, as well.
Kid #1 will be 33 this year. When I visited up north last August she and I went to see a friend of mind. Immediately, my friend's 6 year old daughter dragged my daughter into a round of playtime (my daughter is a substitute teacher and little kids gravitate toward her like a magnet!) My friend's new beau stopped by, and as introductions were made he was shocked to discover how old my kid was--he thought she was 16! My daughter wears her hair long and straight and most of the time doesn't wear makeup. She's rather shy so she doesn't give off a "mature" vibe. (BTW my friend is in her mid 40s and could easily pass for early 30s!)

People are still shocked to discover how old I am (going on 71 this year) I credit both my parents who didn't look their age either....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 07:15 AM

7,274 posts, read 4,957,723 times
I remember being carded at 18 for buying cigarettes, and being very insulted at that. I think the age limit at that time was 16.

By the time I was 30 and still getting carded at bars and buying liquor, I was pretty pleased about it!

Alas, I don’t get carded any more. Sigh.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:25 AM

16,225 posts, read 21,421,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I never heard of her. I was aware that's why Gary Coleman never really grew up and then died young.

Some medical situations (from malnutrition and cancer treatments to genetic disorders) can cause youngsters to never fully develop. I think per evolution, there is shunning of budding adults who look sexually underdeveloped, because they are reproductive bad bets. But I don't think old people avoid the unusually young-looking, because elderly people won't be mating.
There is a difference between just looking young and looking sexually under developed. Both together might be perceived as weird by some people, but simply looking much younger than your age I don't think is that big of a deal.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:14 AM

6,622 posts, read 4,956,260 times
If someone is genuinely mistaken for years younger and still in school, looking sexually underdeveloped is the most likely reason. I think that and the trying-too-hard scenario get the worst backlash, but the latter probably thinks it's a success anyway.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:21 AM

2,252 posts, read 2,436,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't think it's as rare as you think. Until I hit my fifties I always passed for at least ten years younger than my age, my daughter is in her thirties and still passes as a HS student. I have a SIL who is blessed, or perhaps cursed, with the same problem. My son also has the same problem although not to the same degree.
IMO our situation is the result of being on the short side and having a 'baby' face, complete with 'pinchable' cheeks, ugh.

BTW I'm not aware that anyone takes it as a sign of physical or mental underdevelopment unless you mean that people think you only have the maturity of the age you look. It was, and is hard, to be taken seriously as someone in a position of authority when people think you aren't old enough to even be in such a role.
Oh, ok... I don't think looking 10 years younger than your age would be bad when you're at least around 30... I think it's more difficult the younger you are... like a high school senior would be insulted if people thought he/she was 12..

Old 03-06-2022, 11:27 AM

2,005 posts, read 721,175 times
‘I Am Shauna Rae’: Who Is Shauna Rae, the Star of TLC’s New Reality Series?

It's a shame. I can see where her mother would be worried about her attracting some sort of pedophile.

Remember the Turpin children whose parents abused them? The oldest kids (late 20s) looked like they
could have been teens because they were so thin and malnourished.

[/quote] I googled her, she was born in 64. Apparently she had type 1 diabetes that stunted her growth some how.[/quote]

Dana Hill said when she started driving at 18, she'd often get pulled over because she didn't look old enough to have a license.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:31 AM

16,225 posts, read 21,421,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Oh, ok... I don't think looking 10 years younger than your age would be bad when you're at least around 30... I think it's more difficult the younger you are... like a high school senior would be insulted if people thought he/she was 12..
I used to get asked where my parents were all the time when I was in my early twenties, especially by the service industry or while trying to take care of business, like going to an insurance office or the bank. People would tell me I looked like a middle schooler. I don't know about insulting, but it sure could be frustrating to have to explain over and over that I was old enough to do this whatever on my own, lol.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:55 AM

8,129 posts, read 4,792,931 times
In the entertainment business, looking younger than your true age can be a definite plus when trying to get acting jobs. TV producers hire 20-somethings to play teens because of child labor laws which restrict how much they can work, and the results are...well, mixed. Sometimes you strike gold (like Michael J. Fox) while other "TV teens" become the butt of jokes because of receding hair lines, crow's feet, etc. (think: Luke Perry).

I think the whole issue with not being able to employ children for long hours is why daytime soaps often age their child characters at laughable rates. It's not unusual for a four-year-old to leave for summer camp and return two weeks later as an eighteen-year-old. Of course the issue is not so much with the newly-adult kids but the parents of such characters now having fifteen years added to their character (in theory) without a recast. A twenty-five-year-old mother with a five-year-old kid is not unusual, but when that same mother is now saddled with an eighteen-year-old, eyebrows are raised.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:16 PM

102,508 posts, read 109,075,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
In the entertainment business, looking younger than your true age can be a definite plus when trying to get acting jobs. TV producers hire 20-somethings to play teens because of child labor laws which restrict how much they can work, and the results are...well, mixed. Sometimes you strike gold (like Michael J. Fox) while other "TV teens" become the butt of jokes because of receding hair lines, crow's feet, etc. (think: Luke Perry).

I think the whole issue with not being able to employ children for long hours is why daytime soaps often age their child characters at laughable rates. It's not unusual for a four-year-old to leave for summer camp and return two weeks later as an eighteen-year-old. Of course the issue is not so much with the newly-adult kids but the parents of such characters now having fifteen years added to their character (in theory) without a recast. A twenty-five-year-old mother with a five-year-old kid is not unusual, but when that same mother is now saddled with an eighteen-year-old, eyebrows are raised.
Does that really happen on TV?

Old 03-06-2022, 12:34 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,436,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There's a new show on TLC called I am Shauna Rae that follows a 22 year old NY woman who is under 4 feet that looks under 10 years old at first glance, then you see her tattoos and that her face is not that of a 10 year old. She had a rare cancer that stunted her growth when she was a baby.

The last episode just aired, in that episode, a match maker had just found her another local guy who has the same thing. It stinks that we won't get to see what came of it, if anything. She had hired a matchmaker who did a pretty horrible job. Her first date couldn't go through with it, the second did, nothing came of it. I believe there was one more guy who saw her and walked out.

I don't know why she doesn't go to the little people conventions where she should be able to find someone that will love her for her.

A big fear of her mothers is that a man that has a fetish for little girl bodies will go with her due to that.

On one episode she was in a sex store with her 18 year old sister. The employee didn't bother her until someone complained. Similar when she goes to bars, she gets carded.

She tears up a lot when she does her interviews. Life is tough for her. Her middle sister who is getting married, is living the life she should have been living as the oldest child.

She wants to have kids, I guess that means she did go through puberty. I thought her pituitary stunted puberty, I guess not.

‘I Am Shauna Rae’: Who Is Shauna Rae, the Star of TLC’s New Reality Series?

I googled her, she was born in 64. Apparently she had type 1 diabetes that stunted her growth some how.
I've watched clips of that show on YouTube.... That would be a rough life...especially her romantic prospects. I don't think a normal guy would date her.... He would have to be some kind of weirdo..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty