Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Wow... that's crazy and very rare. Why does she look so young? Is she under 5' and very skinny?
She has beautiful skin, and she's about 5" and 100 pounds, naturally white teeth and huge eyes. She could probably move the needle a little by dressing very conservatively, which she doesn't do, and maybe styling her hair in a way women in their 30's do, rather than wearing it shoulder length with no fussing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 10:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Your 3 examples are extremely broad and quite different. Growing up, the physical maturity from MS to HS is huge (even from freshman to senior). So, kids that lag a bit due sometimes have additional social anxiety or struggles (maybe not being as athletic, or not getting dates, etc.) because the difference can be pronounced and 'growing up' is an important mental thing to many kids at those ages who are becoming aware of their impending adulthood.

For Madonna, you're talking an entirely separate thing with lots of plastic surgery (and then on top of that, significant digital touch ups) to make someone look completely artificial. Almost uncanny valley effect. We know someone is mature but they look completely unrealistically and artificially ”young” in a way that they themselves never looked young to begin with.

But a 40 year old man looking close to 30? I honestly don't find that strange or that close to the other 2 examples you gave that contain more complex societal issues attached to them. In fact, as someone in my late 30s, I would say that the 30s/40s are such a toss up trying to guess peoples' ages. I know guys and girls who are in their 40s who easily pass at 30s and nothing is weird about it. I also see people in their late 30s I would guess were mid to late 40s if i didn't know better. Weight, physique, lifestyle (alcohol, tobacco, other), fashion, confidence, hair loss (I was balding and shaved my head so I'm not saying anything negative), kids/no kids, hair color/dye, facial hair, etc. all have a pretty big impact on how old someone appears.
I'd say it's quite unusual for a non-Asian man over 40 to look close to 30. It's probably perceived more strangely in traditional environments where a man over 40 is expected to have a family, at least a mid-level job, and so on. Peter Pan Syndrome might be the suspicion.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'd say it's quite unusual for a non-Asian man over 40 to look close to 30. It's probably perceived more strangely in traditional environments where a man over 40 is expected to have a family, at least a mid-level job, and so on. Peter Pan Syndrome might be the suspicion.
I don’t think it’s uncommon. My dad had that problem and grew a beard to try to avoid having people think he was still a student or in training instead of being the lead person. I looked at his pictures from when he was my age (40s) a few weeks ago and he really did look very young even with the beard. He had the tall, gangly look even in his 40s. It wasn’t a matter of his wardrobe as he always wore a dress shirt and tie to work. I also have a few friends who are quickly approaching 40 who look *very* young. None of these people are Asian. One just has more of a baby face and the other has a baby face and a slight build (both are athletic, though). Otherwise, both are married with a family, own homes, etc.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:00 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Wow... that's crazy and very rare. Why does she look so young? Is she under 5' and very skinny?
I don't think it's as rare as you think. Until I hit my fifties I always passed for at least ten years younger than my age, my daughter is in her thirties and still passes as a HS student. I have a SIL who is blessed, or perhaps cursed, with the same problem. My son also has the same problem although not to the same degree.
IMO our situation is the result of being on the short side and having a 'baby' face, complete with 'pinchable' cheeks, ugh.

BTW I'm not aware that anyone takes it as a sign of physical or mental underdevelopment unless you mean that people think you only have the maturity of the age you look. It was, and is hard, to be taken seriously as someone in a position of authority when people think you aren't old enough to even be in such a role.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:30 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She has beautiful skin, and she's about 5" and 100 pounds, naturally white teeth and huge eyes. She could probably move the needle a little by dressing very conservatively, which she doesn't do, and maybe styling her hair in a way women in their 30's do, rather than wearing it shoulder length with no fussing at all.
We had a woman like that here. But she was from the Philippines and looked like a teen---she also dressed that way---very short shorts, tight midriff tops, etc. She could pull it off at 33, being tiny and short, flawless skin, with waist-length blond-highlighted hair.

She always had a hassle with her 65 y/o husband (who looked in his 50s after she dyed him up, lol) when traveling. Thought she was being sex-trafficked or something. They were always pulled aside and interviewed.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t think it’s uncommon. My dad had that problem and grew a beard to try to avoid having people think he was still a student or in training instead of being the lead person. I looked at his pictures from when he was my age (40s) a few weeks ago and he really did look very young even with the beard. He had the tall, gangly look even in his 40s. It wasn’t a matter of his wardrobe as he always wore a dress shirt and tie to work. I also have a few friends who are quickly approaching 40 who look *very* young. None of these people are Asian. One just has more of a baby face and the other has a baby face and a slight build (both are athletic, though). Otherwise, both are married with a family, own homes, etc.
Then maybe it's the perception of 30. I see it as looking only slightly older than a recent college grad.

I was onto something, though.
https://newatlas.com/science/ageing-...-age-34-60-78/

Anyway, enough of trees. The forest is different stages of life.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-05-2022 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-05-2022, 02:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,965 times
I recently watched a movie, Shoot The Moon about divorce. It was from the early 80s. The couple had 4 daughters and the oldest girl was played by an actress named Dana Hill. I think she was at least 18 playing a 13 year old. She'd often get cast as a younger girl because she looked so young. I think she had some kidney problems which stunted her growth. She died in her early 30s.

The same thing happened to Gary Coleman.

Old 03-05-2022, 04:22 PM

I never heard of her. I was aware that's why Gary Coleman never really grew up and then died young.

Some medical situations (from malnutrition and cancer treatments to genetic disorders) can cause youngsters to never fully develop. I think per evolution, there is shunning of budding adults who look sexually underdeveloped, because they are reproductive bad bets. But I don't think old people avoid the unusually young-looking, because elderly people won't be mating.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:40 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
I recently watched a movie, Shoot The Moon about divorce. It was from the early 80s. The couple had 4 daughters and the oldest girl was played by an actress named Dana Hill. I think she was at least 18 playing a 13 year old. She'd often get cast as a younger girl because she looked so young. I think she had some kidney problems which stunted her growth. She died in her early 30s.

I remember Dana Hill - she was in National Lampoon Vacation movie. She was a type 1 diabetic, sad.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:31 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've wondered for a while when someone looks so young (convincingly enough) for his or her age that to some it's a social negative and I guess a sign of physical or mental underdevelopment. Tonight I thought, When it makes the person look in the wrong stage of life. High schooler as middle-school student, 40-year-old man as on-the-prowl 30-year-old, Madonna as not elderly....

Do you agree?

There's a new show on TLC called I am Shauna Rae that follows a 22 year old NY woman who is under 4 feet that looks under 10 years old at first glance, then you see her tattoos and that her face is not that of a 10 year old. She had a rare cancer that stunted her growth when she was a baby.

The last episode just aired, in that episode, a match maker had just found her another local guy who has the same thing. It stinks that we won't get to see what came of it, if anything. She had hired a matchmaker who did a pretty horrible job. Her first date couldn't go through with it, the second did, nothing came of it. I believe there was one more guy who saw her and walked out.

I don't know why she doesn't go to the little people conventions where she should be able to find someone that will love her for her.

A big fear of her mothers is that a man that has a fetish for little girl bodies will go with her due to that.

On one episode she was in a sex store with her 18 year old sister. The employee didn't bother her until someone complained. Similar when she goes to bars, she gets carded.

She tears up a lot when she does her interviews. Life is tough for her. Her middle sister who is getting married, is living the life she should have been living as the oldest child.

She wants to have kids, I guess that means she did go through puberty. I thought her pituitary stunted puberty, I guess not.

‘I Am Shauna Rae’: Who Is Shauna Rae, the Star of TLC’s New Reality Series?

Quote:
Shauna Rae may be small, but she has a big personality. The 22-year-old – who stands 3-feet 10-inches tall – is the star of TLC’s I Am Shauna Rae, a new reality series that premieres Jan. 11. It focuses on her life as a young woman who has the body of an 8-year-old but who wants to live her life as an independent adult.

When she was just 6 months old, Shauna Rae was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer. Her treatment put her cancer in remission, but it also ended up stunting her growth. Chemotherapy left her pituitary gland almost dormant, which she means she has a childlike appearance and is under 4-feet tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post

I googled her, she was born in 64. Apparently she had type 1 diabetes that stunted her growth some how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty