Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 06:02 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,814,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had dyed my hair since I started seeing grays in it about age 30. It was a dark auburn at that time (I was a strawberry blonde as a toddler and then honey brown and then auburn and then dark auburn). I had dyed it for so long I had no idea what color it was by the time I was 54! But I did know I had a lot of white and gray in it.

I've worn my hair short for about 20 years but I went REALLY short while I was letting the gray grow out - that makes it a lot easier. I do know a lot of women though who just stick it out while their long hair is growing out.

Here's my hair now - this was yesterday - LOL.
wow...... sensational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have seen some serious silver foxes lately. I feel that the right attitude makes the difference as you can start wearing different colors at this stage of your life and EMBRACE the change.
I totally agree. As our gigantic Baby Boomer generation ages, I think we will see more and more "silver foxes" out there, who are also embracing vitality and energy and an active life. We were raised on the concept of "youth," so we are not going to be old fuddy duddy grannies wearing long cotton dresses, aprons, sensible shoes, hair in a bun and dipping snuff!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
wow...... sensational.
Woohoooooo!!!!!! Embrace the day!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:06 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,997,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Here's how you take care of this situation: You begin as a young child, doing many sorts of progressively-more difficult exercise. You keep this up all through your life, never letting your body have a chance to decline. Also, you eat nothing but wholesome and nutritious food and completely avoid alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and unneeded drugs. Get plenty of sleep and avoid stressful situations. Don't have relationships with irresponsible people who may give you diseases or abuse you. Most important, do not have children. There's already 7.3 billion people on the planet and a contribution from you is not needed. It's all very simple.
And completely impossible to follow your advice.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:00 AM

7,976 posts, read 7,368,503 times
Boob droop. I'm thin, but have always been larger chested. I exercise and exercise and exercise...flies, presses, etc. It is inevitable (especially after kids), so why fight it (but I still do them religiously). And my legs. When I shave in the shower, I'll occasionally examine my legs for signs of varicose veins, spider veins, splotches, etc. No sign yet, thank God. I know women who are younger than me (I'm 56) whose legs look like a road map. I run every day, and do leg exercises, so that helps, I guess.

Lastly, and most of all, TEETH. I'm paranoid about mine, and terrified about losing them. I keep dental floss in my purse and floss after every time I eat...

Most important thing to prevent getting old and debilitating? I take time to be SILLY. Act CHILDISH. Giggle and laugh. I spend lots of time with my two year old grandson, and fun is a dailty event

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-14-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 09:40 AM

17,567 posts, read 39,222,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Sorry. I just read about the downward nose and maybe I will check people out tomorrow to see if it's noticeable or if the downward slope is an urban myth.
Some people get it and some don't. I think it is more noticeable in those who already have a prominent or long nose. Mine is an average size nose, not turned up or down. Now that I am in my mid 60s it has teensy bit of droop, but nothing that noticeable unless looking at pics when I was a teen or in my 20s.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,515,194 times
~Not a fan of gray. Hope to embrace it someday (and hope it grows like my mother's, who has a gorgeous head of thick, gray hair), but not ready to do it in my early 40s. Don't get me wrong- I have plenty of gray, just not ready to embrace it.

~sagging eyes and face. And my lips are already not really full.

~saggy skin all over

I'm a mid-life career changer. I think I'd be less concerned about all these changes if I weren't trying to make my way in a new career about 15-20 years older than most of my "peers" in the career track. I don't want to be advertising my older status, when many of my supervisors are younger than me. I'd like to think I'd feel differently if I were already well-established in this career, but I don't know.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,918,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
~Not a fan of gray. Hope to embrace it someday (and hope it grows like my mother's, who has a gorgeous head of thick, gray hair), but not ready to do it in my early 40s. Don't get me wrong- I have plenty of gray, just not ready to embrace it.

~sagging eyes and face. And my lips are already not really full.

~saggy skin all over

I'm a mid-life career changer. I think I'd be less concerned about all these changes if I weren't trying to make my way in a new career about 15-20 years older than most of my "peers" in the career track. I don't want to be advertising my older status, when many of my supervisors are younger than me. I'd like to think I'd feel differently if I were already well-established in this career, but I don't know.
All great points and yes, graying at 49 is different than the mid 50's.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:32 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,288,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had dyed my hair since I started seeing grays in it about age 30. It was a dark auburn at that time (I was a strawberry blonde as a toddler and then honey brown and then auburn and then dark auburn). I had dyed it for so long I had no idea what color it was by the time I was 54! But I did know I had a lot of white and gray in it.

I've worn my hair short for about 20 years but I went REALLY short while I was letting the gray grow out - that makes it a lot easier. I do know a lot of women though who just stick it out while their long hair is growing out.

Here's my hair now - this was yesterday - LOL.

I'm going to barge into this thread and say - Kathryn, you are gorgeous (love the hair) - with a great personality to boot. Pretty eyes, too. Ok, girl-crushing is over.

At 39, I fear menopause short term, dementia long term. The women on my dad's side of the family look old as hell after menopause. My mom's side of the family age pretty well. Here's hoping that's one thing that I get after my mother.

I do hate the sun, use sunscreen religiously, and well...I'm black lol. Those run in my favor when it comes to to aging gracefully.

I was obese for 32 years - yo-yo dieting not withstanding. I am terrified that I have caused irreparable damage to my body - despite maintaining a healthy weight for years.

Some of the things on this thread can be prevented via exercise - barring accidents or disease.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:03 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,351,836 times
You're so vain.
You probably think this forum is about you.
Signed, Carly Simon.

Yeah, getting old is not for the faint of heart.
Those mirrors will break your spirit if you let them.
Concentrate on your inner beauty which will attract people to you.
When you get to a certain age, you want to be around positive people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty