Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
I love the fashion blog Advanced Age
Perhaps you meant Advanced Style?

ADVANCED STYLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Or alternatively, accept and love yourself the way you are.
This is my plan.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:52 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
As I approach my sixth decade of life I find it invigorating that I no longer have to aspire to mere prettiness, but can achieve true elegance.

Clean living, abstemious eating habits, and a vigorous fitness regimine mean that one does not need to "lose her looks", but in fact fulfill her innate whole human potential for transcendent, timeless beauty.

No trends, no shocking new palettes of color, no 'style' but that which the Creator gave me a lifetime of potential to evolve -- comfortable and confident in my own skin like I never felt while young!
Whatever. In the meantime, I still go to the hairdresser and get my hair dyed "Back to Black," (it's natural shade). I also work out a lot because I can't keep my weight down like I used to (I'm almost 39 now), and it was difficult even in my 20s due to the obesity gene, being female, being short, and taking weight gain drugs on a regular basis. But the most important beauty trick I have is wearing a properly fitting bra It has made a world of difference in the way I feel all day.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
What's alarming to me is the youth-oriented culture we live in, plus all the "celebrities" of a certain age who have had loads of PS and are celebrated for looking youthful. Natural aging has turned from something normal into something unacceptable that "has to be dealt with".

People are hoodwinked into believing they "need" to fix the saggy face or neck or whatever else indicates aging. And the PS industry, of course, supports this wholeheartedly. Maybe at some point there'll be a backlash and things will go back to normal and allow women to age however they age, without any societal pressure to look younger.

But for now, It's all about anti-aging, which cream makes you look younger, how to dress younger, how to keep from looking old, and on and on and on. It's no wonder so many women end up caving in and having things done, or feeling badly about themselves if they can't afford - or don't want - procedures.
THIS. Remember what our grandmothers (or great-grandmothers, if you're younger) looked like? OLD LADIES, lol. Grey hair, wrinkles, saggy necks, droopy bosoms, thick waists, and an extra 20 pounds they didn't have when they were 20. This was - and still is - "normal," but we're pressured to fight it...

Last edited by otterhere; 01-21-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
thinned skinned people or people that are very lean show wrinkles & creases much faster

thats why I think it's better to be a little chubby than too skinny or lean, ever notice people like long distance runners always show strain / aging on their faces from being so lean? every facial expression shows creases or lines, a little body fat is actually beneficial to retain a more youthful look.
Oh, good - I've bought myself some time.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 AM

625 posts, read 624,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha2014 View Post
No it is not a spam, LOL.. its because I am a smoker, and females tend to get wrinkles sooner when they smoke, like in my case. I do have a youthful face and the lines I did have bothered me a lot besides fillers/botox are preventive measures also as it makes my own skin make more collagen. Besides a woman can never look too good :-)
Why not just quit smoking? You could put that money in a bank account and put your children through college on it --- or just use it to do charitable work.

But injecting your face with that mess so you can smoke cigs? Uggghhhhh. Don't get it.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Why not just quit smoking? You could put that money in a bank account and put your children through college on it --- or just use it to do charitable work.

But injecting your face with that mess so you can smoke cigs? Uggghhhhh. Don't get it.
Right.

"Let's see - this works for me - I'll spend thousands of dollars a year on smokes, which will probably kill me - and then to offset the skin damage I'll spend thousands more to have poison injected into my skin. So I'll just pay thousands and thousands of dollars to put all sorts of toxins in my body, rather than give up smoking."

Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Some people have more dollars than "cents."

Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
THIS. Remember what our grandmothers (or great-grandmothers, if you're younger) looked like? OLD LADIES, lol. Grey hair, wrinkles, saggy necks, droopy bosoms, thick waists, and an extra 20 pounds they didn't have when they were 20. This was - and still is - "normal," but we're pressured to fight it...
You are absolutely right! Hard to believe Frances Bavier was only 57 when she started the Andy Griffith show as "Aunt Bea", and compare that to how Julianne Moore looks now at 55. (Personally, I think women who are close to 60 should aim for a realistic compromise.)

Frances Bavier/"A Visit from Aunt Bee" - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2015/01/jul...-guild-awards/

Last edited by katharsis; 01-21-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 05:06 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
You are absolutely right! Hard to believe Frances Bavier was only 57 when she started the Andy Griffith show as "Aunt Bea", and compare that to how Julianne Moore looks now at 55. (Personally, I think women who are close to 60 should aim for a realistic compromise.)

Frances Bavier/"A Visit from Aunt Bee" - Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Julianne Moore in Givenchy Couture at the 2015 Screen Actors Guild Awards | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated
Modern women take care themselves more, and dress more fashionably. As I have previously said, I just try to be as healthy and fit as possible, and dress in flattering clothes. I like to wear a modest amount of makeup, but I do not want to go the Botox/filler route and probably no plastic surgery. I do not judge those who do. These days besides taking care of my physical self, I work on expanding my inner self, and I truly believe this transcends the physicality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty