Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,692,434 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the previous posts but...what about smoking and being a sun worshipper?
I am a redhead, so I have always tried to stay out of the sun. Did the sunbathing thing one time....down in Cuba. I lasted maybe 10 minutes..and got bored to tears. No. I don't sunbathe, nor do tanning salons.
Smoking? I never have smoked. I am lazy and considered smoking too much work
Eating right might help too. I try to eat healthy, and am not into sodas, nor junk foods.
I was always the youngest in my groups, even being the baby of the family. But this getting older thing, is NOT for the faint of heart.
My only aging issues for now are the neck thing (I lost alot of weight in my 40's), the triceps wing thing..but the women in my family passed that down to me. I don't really have wrinkles on my face.
But I notice too many smokers with really bad wrinkles. Almost dried out looking.
And tanners/sunbathers. Their skin just gets leathery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:26 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,439,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the previous posts but...what about smoking and being a sun worshipper?
I am a redhead, so I have always tried to stay out of the sun. Did the sunbathing thing one time....down in Cuba. I lasted maybe 10 minutes..and got bored to tears. No. I don't sunbathe, nor do tanning salons.
Smoking? I never have smoked. I am lazy and considered smoking too much work
Eating right might help too. I try to eat healthy, and am not into sodas, nor junk foods.
I was always the youngest in my groups, even being the baby of the family. But this getting older thing, is NOT for the faint of heart.
My only aging issues for now are the neck thing (I lost alot of weight in my 40's), the triceps wing thing..but the women in my family passed that down to me. I don't really have wrinkles on my face.
But I notice too many smokers with really bad wrinkles. Almost dried out looking.
And tanners/sunbathers. Their skin just gets leathery.
Interesting to hear you say that (figuratively speaking LOL PUN! ...um...where was I?)
I smoked a TON of years - started stealing packs from my mom's cartons when I was 12-ish). I quit when I had kids - they weren't going to be smoking because of ME! Anyway, I always thought it was more trouble to get in a car, go to the store, go through the transaction of actually purchasing cigarettes, get home, open, set your purchase/money on fire and actually suck the burning smoke and debris into your lungs, depriving yourself of clean air/oxygen, stink up your clothes, your home, your car, your taste buds, your lung capacity.... deal with the coughing and inconvenience.... It's so much easier to NOT smoke!

I'm with you! Too much work. What's the payoff?

But I will add, LOTS OF SLEEP and lots of water. Two things we often neglect for our health. I'm all about healthy. Don't complain about your weight, your stamina, your strength, your aches and pains, your appearance if you don't care enough to take care of your body. Some of us take better care of our pets than we do ourselves. (having climbed off my soapbox I need to knock the dust off my running shoes - I'm a MESS!)

Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 AM

51,535 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe this should be in the psychology thread, but... Former "beauties," how do you handle the invariable ravages of age?
I used to worry about this all the time when I was younger...in fact the most depressed I ever was about getting "old" was on my 25th birthday...I cried a river!

So I'd worry to myself, what's going to happen when I'm 30 and I'm not cute anymore? Then I turned 30, and I was still cute, same thing at 35, and even at 40 (I was probably at my beauty "peak" at 38). So after that I decided it was silly to worry about what happens when I'm not cute anymore when it actually happens...as of now, I'm 53, and while I don't look 25, I am still arm candy. I did have a little help along the way, though

Old 01-09-2016, 10:26 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,504,265 times
I was shocked the day I looked in the mirror and noticed my rear had dropped 2 inches and wondered if it was the beginning of the end? I'd seen those women at the mall with the flat backsides, but had not realized they weren't always that way.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,048,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Believe me - you still care about being attractive when you're in your fifties, and from what I hear - your sixties as well. My mother is in her seventies and she still cares very much about how she looks, dresses, etc.

Just giving you a friendly heads' up.
My mom stopped caring in her 50s. Really late 40s. She started thinking of herself as old (she is late 60s now). I think she was looking forward to that. My mom doesn't look "old" other than her clothing.

Her 70-something sister on the other hand totally cares and she stays "hip" and active without clinging to lost youth. She is my role model.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:33 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,931,723 times
I have lucked out on a lot of it, mostly due to good genes. I'm 45 and don't have any noticeable wrinkles outside of the slight marionette lines by my mouth. The main change that I have noticed is my face is less full than it was in my 20's or 30's--though I've always had a long narrow face. My hair has been 80% silver since I was in my early 30's but I have been coloring it.

The only thing that is making me hate getting older has happened relatively recently. I am starting to go through menopause and have managed to pack on 15 pounds despite eating the same amount and exercising the same. I've cut back on my eating and dropped about 4 lbs of it; hopefully by stepping up the exercise I can get rid of at least most of the rest of it. I've never been overweight before and don't want to start now...

Old 01-09-2016, 02:50 PM

48,720 posts, read 35,274,150 times
The change in metabolism SUCKS.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-09-2016, 04:52 PM

1,038 posts, read 908,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe this should be in the psychology thread, but... Former "beauties," how do you handle the invariable ravages of age?
apparently, it should be in the psychology thread if you ASK it...

Old 01-09-2016, 05:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,329,383 times
I was no beauty but I'm 60 now, and I definitely don't look as good as I did. And yeah, it bothers me but other than doing the best I can with grooming, it is what it is. Not considering cosmetic surgery because we don't have the money and I generally don't do "elective pain!"
I don't feel like I have aged "well." I had hoped I would have because I stayed out of the sun, never smoked, barely drank etc. but genetics and bone structure play a big role too.
So you have to either just accept it or do something about it surgically if you are so inclined.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,701,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I was no beauty but I'm 60 now, and I definitely don't look as good as I did. And yeah, it bothers me but other than doing the best I can with grooming, it is what it is. Not considering cosmetic surgery because we don't have the money and I generally don't do "elective pain!"
I don't feel like I have aged "well." I had hoped I would have because I stayed out of the sun, never smoked, barely drank etc. but genetics and bone structure play a big role too.
So you have to either just accept it or do something about it surgically if you are so inclined.
I agree, no elective pain. It's always funny to see aging celebrities who have been under the knife, because they all have that same look from plastic surgery, as if they all purchased the same mask from a Halloween costume store. Fake, fake, fake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty