Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Iraq definitely presents a sour spot in American foreign policy. It started as a conflict to get rid of WMD, then the goalpost changed to spreading democracy.
The US lied about the mobile chemical weapons labs and the Niger yellowcake transaction. They also completely ignored the 1999 speech by Hans Blix who said that the WMD programs had effectively been eliminated.

The reason they went to war was that Saddam had awarded all the oil contracts to Russia, China, Germany, and France, shutting out the British and the Americans. Those contracts could be voided with a change in government. If you look at what's transpired in many of the countries in the Arab Spring, one of the first pieces of business is rewriting the laws governing oil and mineral rights. You can see the same thing happening in Syria now with Russia, although they didn't start the war.

Last edited by lchoro; 03-20-2018 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
In Castro's case, he may have overthrown a corrupt regime but he was never elected. What came afterwards was over 50 years of economic stagnation. What surprises me is how people who condemn all the Western backed coups turn s blind eye to Castro and others like him who also came to power through coups.

As to China's island reclamation, Vietnam is hardly singular in it's complaints. There is a whole dispute with Japan over the Senkaku islands along with others with the Philippines and that's not even going over the contested territory with India.

Syria is another peculiar case as many countries have gotten involved there. I don't believe that all the rebels ate terrorists either. Some of them definitely are, but they are a mixed group as is common with many groups. It doesn't help that Assad isn't exactly innocent either. On top of his use of chemical attacks, he's been helping Hezbollah attack Israel with Iran's help. Russia picked a side. I understand why they did so, but let's not pretend like they are there for benevolent reasons. If you ask me, I don't believe anyone is doing the right thing there and both the rebels and government forces have carried out attacks against civilians.

What's your justification for Soviet intervention in Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Afghanistan and East Germany?

You also still haven't answered my question as to why you turn a blind eye to the activities of non-western countries. Why is the West, the US in particular, the singular focus of your wrath?
The stagnation is a result of embargoes and sanctions that were intended to overthrow the government.

The Cuban revolution was more than just a coup. There are plenty of instances of military coups in the southern hemisphere. Very recent instances include Honduras.

There was a land grab over the Spratly Islands. Philippines, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan, and China have all laid claims to the area.

It doesn't matter what you believe about Syria. The rebels were brought over from Libya and other conflicts where the US was involved in regime change, and trained in Jordan for the overthrow of the Syrian government. The US tried to get defections from the Syrian army to constitute a rebel force called The Free Syrian Army and failed. 95 percent of the fighters are foreign origin as reported in the German press. This was also reported in the publication Foreign Policy which accuratlely predicted in 2013 that civil unrest would occur when the criminals returned to their homes in Western Europe.

Nobody turns a blind eye to anything. People are evaluating current events, and you're trying to go back 50 years to justify abuses today by entirely different parties. Since the world has been dominated by a single power for the last 30 years, the initiative to start wars and other violent conflicts has rested with the US. The Soviet Union no longer exists, and no longer has the coalition of governments in the Warsaw Pact to supply ground forces for military intervention of that magnitude.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The US lied about the mobile chemical weapons labs and the Niger yellowcake transaction. They also completely ignored the 1999 speech by Hans Blix who said that the WMD programs had effectively been eliminated.

The reason they went to war was that Saddam had awarded all the oil contracts to Russia, China, Germany, and France, shutting out the British and the Americans. Those contracts could be voided with a change in government. If you look at what's transpired in many of the countries in the Arab Spring, one of the first pieces of business is rewriting the laws governing oil and mineral rights. You can see the same thing happening in Syria now with Russia, although they didn't start the war.
LOL and you accuse me of talking nonsense. Your statements have one thing in common: they follow the conspiracy theories spouted on Russian state TV.

What's happening in Syria with Russia is the opposite of what we did in Iraq.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
LOL and you accuse me of talking nonsense. Your statements have one thing in common: they follow the conspiracy theories spouted on Russian state TV.

I do not see it as a conspiracy given it is a fact, even state by Bush himself, there was no WMD program in Iraq, which was the primary reason for the invasion. Russian TV in general gives little to no time to such affairs; how much Russian TV you actually watch?

You are correct that Russia in Syria is opposite of US in Iraq, in that Russia was invited by the Syrian government, and Iraq never invited the US.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Essay on Russiaphobia in the US and captive US presidency

Quote:
By the past record, we will never know what befell Skripal and his daughter and why. We can be more or less dead certain why the Trump administration declared a new set of sanctions last week for no apparent cause. Trump and his inner circle, of which Mnuchin is a member, now face mounting pressure to capitulate in the face of the never-ending Russiagate rubbish. And Trump made his strategy clear weeks ago: He will go along with the orthodox narrative so long as he is spared charges of collusion. This is the transaction we are now watching. Trump is spared impeachment proceedings and the Democrats and Mueller-ites, chicken-scratching for many months, are spared embarrassment.

Last week leaves us with three things to think about. I have just suggested one. Trump’s support for May in her attempt to cover up a mess of one or another kind, along with the new sanctions, are about Trump’s political predicament, not the truth of events. This is perfectly legible. Mnuchin’s bit is mere icing on the cake. American politics has been reduced to spectacle for ages; now foreign policy is, too.

As of last week Trump is confirmed as a captive of his own government, in my view. He has strings attached to his arms, legs and jaw. Am I talking about the Deep State? Well, I do not at all mind the phrase, but let us call it simply “Part C” — People Actually Running This Country.
https://www.salon.com/2018/03/18/beh...-fateful-turn/

Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:

You're very uninformed. I don't know what country or planet you're from.

Those two facts are widely accepted here in the US as they were disclosed long after it would have any effect on policy. That is generally how news on foreign policy works here. The truth may eventually come out, but it will be at a time when it has no bearing on altering events. That was also admitted to by a Washington Post editor in a online discussion on the war coverage. They intentionally buried stories or killed stories that would negatively affect the political decision in the runup to the war. Hence, intelligence assessments on Iraq and the potential for long term insurrection were delayed till after the invasion had occurred. The media even attacked Valerie Plame for exposing the Niger yellowcake fabrication.

The US invaded Iraq. Syria was invaded by foreign mercenaries funded, armed, and trained by a coalition of government led by the US with implicit assurance (red line) that the US would provide direct military support if the CIA couldn't pull it off. It is Libya redux. It was defeated in Nicaragua. JFK rejected it in Cuba.

Last edited by lchoro; 03-20-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 01:24 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not see it as a conspiracy given it is a fact, even state by Bush himself, there was no WMD program in Iraq, which was the primary reason for the invasion. Russian TV in general gives little to no time to such affairs; how much Russian TV you actually watch?

You are correct that Russia in Syria is opposite of US in Iraq, in that Russia was invited by the Syrian government, and Iraq never invited the US.
The reason we invaded Iraq was to get rid of Saddam and install a democratic government which is no longer a threat to our regional allies. Not for WMD (Bush's lame excuse), not for oil and not for any other reason put forth by the Putin government. I'm not debating the Iraq war here, and not claiming it was right or wrong, just establishing some facts for the Russified brain syndrome I see on here.

Putin is defending what's left of the world's despots against the threat of democracy. We aren't blind to this...

Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,674 times
SIMFEROPOL, March 20, 2018, 10:16 — REGNUM the Ministry of transport of the Russian Federation is considering a phased scheme for organizing the movement of vehicles on the Crimean bridge. This was reported on the Agency's website.

"At the first stage — just after entering the bridge — passage is open for passenger vehicles and buses that provide passenger transportation", — stated in the message.

The Ministry of transport recalled that the builders expect to put into operation the bridge with a significant advance-in may this year.

"The opening of traffic for freight transport is planned for the second stage — at the end of 2018," the report says.

Details: https://regnum.ru/news/2393435.html
Any use of the materials is allowed only if there is a hyperlink to IA REGNUM.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

The US invaded Iraq. Syria was invaded by foreign mercenaries funded, armed, and trained by a coalition of government led by the US with implicit assurance (red line) that the US would provide direct military support if the CIA couldn't pull it off. It is Libya redux. It was defeated in Nicaragua. JFK rejected it in Cuba.
Is that why Russia bombs Syrian schools and hospitals daily? Because they have been declared foreign terrorists and therefore marked for death? Those Syrians who just raised their flag in Afrin for the first time yesterday...they are actually from planet terrorist? The guys that Russian planes have been bombing in Idlib for 18 months, also from this mysterious planet? Or are they western European invaders? LOL

Putin will kill as many Syrians as necessary to keep a murderous regime in power, how noble. I'm sure he would do the same for Belarus if it comes to that.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:45 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Is that why Russia bombs Syrian schools and hospitals daily? Because they have been declared foreign terrorists and therefore marked for death? Those Syrians who just raised their flag in Afrin for the first time yesterday...they are actually from planet terrorist? The guys that Russian planes have been bombing in Idlib for 18 months, also from this mysterious planet? Or are they western European invaders? LOL

Putin will kill as many Syrians as necessary to keep a murderous regime in power, how noble. I'm sure he would do the same for Belarus if it comes to that.
Compare photos of Aleppo (liberated by Russia and Syria) and Raqqa (liberated by US allies). Your stupidity is boring. I will try to ignore you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe