Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 08:24 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, that was informative. Who produces this 60 Minutes? Is it by some kind of license or other connection with the US 50 Minutes?

I checked with Wiki, and I see no connection with the CBS "60 minutes."

Overall I've noticed that Russian TV was a copy-cat of quite a few American programs/shows formats, which was part of Americanization of the society ( obviously, certain people sitting in Russian Ministry of Culture were big "American fans," in spite of the official anti-American propaganda, fed to people on daily news programs ( and not only.)

A lot of Russians were irritated by all these "talk shows," salivating over the details of someone's personal lives, as much as Americanization of Russian cinematography, that lost its uniqueness and authenticity, but those were the times.
Not sure whether it's going to change any time soon, although with the recent change of the cabinet, the current people in charge remind me more and more of good old functionaries Soviet style, starting with Mishustin himself.
So if they will start changing their cultural trend on TV, this will be interesting to see, since when Russians come up with their own original ideas, it's really far more interesting in unexpected kind of way.

But back to Russian "60 minutes."

This program has different format comparably to American show, has less propaganda angle and more information than some other political shows. ( "Evening with Vladimir Soloviev" comes to mind, help me lord. )
And I actually do like Olga Skabejeva there - she is very sharp for what she is doing as a journalist, ( the propaganda part is left mostly to her husband E. Popov, who is a regular host of the program, together with her.)

I do like listening to some of the guests, ( members of the Russian Duma ( Parliament) including, since it gives a bit of the insight, what kind of people work there, and what's their "train of thought.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Regarding low confirmed cases of covid-19 in some countries such as Russia, I’ve heard that these countries such as Russia have a huge spike in pneumonia cases, I think these countries are not being forthcoming and covering up their cases as just “pneumonia”

Grega, I checked and they DO write here that pneumonia spiked 37% in Moscow comparably to 2019, but strangely enough, 40% of those infected are "children and teenagers up to 17 years old."
Another thing they are saying is that "all those with pneumonia are tested for coronavirus."

But in any case I think that if something like in Italy was taking place at this point, it would have been impossible to hide.

Last edited by erasure; 03-25-2020 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Regarding low confirmed cases of covid-19 in some countries such as Russia, I’ve heard that these countries such as Russia have a huge spike in pneumonia cases, I think these countries are not being forthcoming and covering up their cases as just “pneumonia”
Corona Virus is basically the flu. I don't care what anyone screams about it. The bad thing is that it's potentially more lethal than other strains due to some factors like the incubation period of 2 weeks. The pneumoniae is a common effect of things like this. If a doctor doesn't do a test on the patient for C-19 then what should he put in the report? Pneumonia or something else? I don't know that everyone is being tested for C-19 anywhere. I hear the testing is not that accurate. Apparently no one has good numbers.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:34 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
My main points:

1. Seasonal flu also can get into lungs and cause pneumonia (the Spanish flu of 1919 had 5-10% of cases of infection lungs). Outcome of treatment in such cases is extremely negative, like SARS-2.
2. I think Germany is cheating with death statistics. Most likely, they consider only cases when SARS-2 caused death of a person, and not all cases of death of patients with SARS-2 (e.g. heart problems, etc.).
3. Russia is the a*s of the world (away from the main traffic flows), so the epidemic comes to us with a delay. In addition, Russia has a younger population.
4. High infection with SARS-2 is associated with a lack of population immunity and vaccines. It doesn’t depend on race, nation or gender. For example, measles without vaccination would give a far more monstrous and deadly outbreak.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:52 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Information from Germany from a friend:

Quote:
А причина проста: кто-то при приветствии готов обнять, поцеловать, облизать, переспать... и по любому поводу устраивает вечеринки и фесты и плюет на советы скучных врачей и политиков. А кто-то при приветствии руку-то не всегда пожимает, блюдет личное пространство и слушает ответственных людей. Тут даже карантин нежесткий, потому что сказали больше дома сидеть, все сидят, сказали, если на улице, дистанцию держать, так и делают. Ну, в большинстве. Но большинство определяет статистику
Short translation: Germans are disciplined and comply with quarantine. This is the main reason.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I checked with Wiki, and I see no connection with the CBS "60 minutes."

Overall I've noticed that Russian TV was a copy-cat of quite a few American programs/shows formats, which was part of Americanization of the society ( obviously, certain people sitting in Russian Ministry of Culture were big "American fans," in spite of the official anti-American propaganda, fed to people on daily news programs ( and not only.)

A lot of Russians were irritated by all these "talk shows," salivating over the details of someone's personal lives, as much as Americanization of Russian cinematography, that lost its uniqueness and authenticity, but those were the times.
Not sure whether it's going to change any time soon, although with the recent change of the cabinet, the current people in charge remind me more and more of good old functionaries Soviet style, starting with Mishustin himself.
So if they will start changing their cultural trend on TV, this will be interesting to see, since when Russians come up with their own original ideas, it's really far more interesting in unexpected kind of way.

But back to Russian "60 minutes."

This program has different format comparably to American show, has less propaganda angle and more information than some other political shows. ( "Evening with Vladimir Soloviev" comes to mind, help me lord. )
And I actually do like Olga Skabejeva there - she is very sharp for what she is doing as a journalist, ( the propaganda part is left mostly to her husband E. Popov, who is a regular host of the program, together with her.)

I do like listening to some of the guests, ( members of the Russian Duma ( Parliament) including, since it gives a bit of the insight, what kind of people work there, and what's their "train of thought.")
Thank you. A little off-topic, but what surprised me about the fact, that they have a show called 60 Minutes, is that before this one, they had their own version of it, with a different name, I forget wha the name was. But it was in the 90's, so I'm surprised they now have one that blatantly uses the name of the American one. (Not that the American producers can sue the Russian producers for copyright infringement but it seems they're getting more bold with their copying. And I agree re: Americanization of Russian TV, cinematography, animation (cartoons), etc. etc. But that would be a completely separate topic.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Grega, I checked and they DO write here that pneumonia spiked 37% in Moscow comparably to 2019, but strangely enough, 40% of those infected are "children and teenagers up to 17 years old."
Another thing they are saying is that "all those with pneumonia are tested for coronavirus."

But in any case I think that if something like in Italy was taking place at this point, it would have been impossible to hide.
I'm wondering where they're getting such a large number of test kits, if they're testing everyone who presents with "pneumonia", first of all. Secondly, I'm concerned for all the medical staff involved in this testing. I doubt they have the type of protective gear some hospital staff in the West have, and even many doctors/nurses the West don't have the necessary gear, not to mention--sufficient ventilators on ICU wards. Are some of the medical staff who administer the tests getting sick?

To answer an earlier question of yours, possibly one reason Russia started out a bit late (in spite of a long border with China), is that Russians don't travel abroad as much as Westerners do? Many of the cases in the US involve people who returned from India, of course--China, Italy, and other countries that were ahead of everyone else in the development of cases.

Also, the cities in the US, that were the main gateways for international flights, especially from the Far East, as well as Italy and India, became disease centers too, so that other states started seeing cases involving people who had picked up the bug on a visit to NYC, Seattle, San Francisco and perhaps LA. Russia doesn't have the volume of international traffic from its own citizens (visiting foreigners is another matter) that North American and Western Europe do. Its main international hub is Moscow. I guess Vladivostok and Khabarovsk could have been entry-points for the virus from China, Korea and Japan early on, before borders were closed. We don't have any idea what's going on locally over there, but I have friends over there, and they have't mentioned anything unusual. They seem unconcerned.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering where they're getting such a large number of test kits, if they're testing everyone who presents with "pneumonia", first of all. Secondly, I'm concerned for all the medical staff involved in this testing. I doubt they have the type of protective gear some hospital staff in the West have, and even many doctors/nurses the West don't have the necessary gear, not to mention--sufficient ventilators on ICU wards. Are some of the medical staff who administer the tests getting sick?
Ruth, I didn't do my "daily media observation round" yet, but from little that I already saw today, the number of cases jumped to over 800, and TWO THIRDS of them are in Moscow.
( Which I've said many times before was quite predictable.)
Moscow ( out of all places) is well-equipped. ( Better than any other city.)
When it comes to the rest of the country - it depends. Every region/big city is in different situation.

Quote:
To answer an earlier question of yours, possibly one reason Russia started out a bit late (in spite of a long border with China), is that Russians don't travel abroad as much as Westerners do? Many of the cases in the US involve people who returned from India, of course--China, Italy, and other countries that were ahead of everyone else in the development of cases.
I wouldn't take this factor in consideration, when it comes SPECIFICALLY to China.

That long-long border with China has 16 official crossings, and there were plenty of opportunities to bring that virus in Russia, since the steady stream of both nationals kept on going back and forth for gazillion of reasons. The border was closed ( and not completely, since the flights were still operating) only by the end of January ( if not January 31st.)

Now may I offer to your attention a curious article in "Science" here, ( of course Americans are *very concerned* why Russia is not affected severely enough, and when it's finally going to happen, ) and this particular article has a reference to a very interesting post on FB, which I assume is coming from a member of the Russian scientific community.

So what this guy is saying there ( to sum it up,) is that the particular strand of virus (taken from some thirty year old woman from St. Petersburg,) is identified, classified, and added to the database of all these strands. It matches the strand coming SPECIFICALLY from Europe ( I think they mention France in this case in particular,) AND the one that is present in state of Washington out of all places. I will double-check on that later.)

So... yes, the strand coming from China didn't affect Russians ( and that's what could have fooled the Westerners in the first place - if Russia, "the nearest settlement of the Europids" to China was not affected in the first place, then probably THEY didn't have much to worry about as well.

(The first two known cases were identified in the Russian Far East; both were the Chinese nationals; one of them at least I'm sure worked in Russia. Both recovered in the local hospital as far as I remember. There were suspicions of couple of other cases here and there in Irkutsk, but they were unconfirmed.

The first confirmed case in Russia in a RUSSIAN national however, was a soccer player,returning from Italy, where he was vacationing. ( Sure enough, he was in contact with plenty of people, before he was hospitalized and diagnosed.)

Quote:
Also, the cities in the US, that were the main gateways for international flights, especially from the Far East, as well as Italy and India, became disease centers too, so that other states started seeing cases involving people who had picked up the bug on a visit to NYC, Seattle, San Francisco and perhaps LA. Russia doesn't have the volume of international traffic from its own citizens (visiting foreigners is another matter) that North American and Western Europe do. Its main international hub is Moscow. I guess Vladivostok and Khabarovsk could have been entry-points for the virus from China, Korea and Japan early on, before borders were closed. We don't have any idea what's going on locally over there, but I have friends over there, and they have't mentioned anything unusual. They seem unconcerned.
Oh, believe me, ENOUGH to get the epidemic going.

However how fast the outbreak will spread and what's more important - what the mortality rate is going to be among Russians, (VS say Germans or Italians,) that's a whole different story.

Last edited by erasure; 03-26-2020 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 09:47 PM

750 posts, read 907,095 times
Putin is collecting armed forces from all over the country - more than 200 buses with soldiers with the ironic signature “children” are moving to Moscow.

https://twitter.com/herooftheday10/s...89632591577089

On the other side of Moscow is a column of tracked armored vehicles...
Russians joke that APCs will shoot at viruses
https://twitter.com/bamr69/status/1243179946069102592

Last edited by Wadym; 03-26-2020 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 11:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Putin is collecting armed forces from all over the country - more than 200 buses with soldiers with the ironic signature “children” are moving to Moscow.

https://twitter.com/herooftheday10/s...89632591577089

On the other side of Moscow is a column of tracked armored vehicles...
Russians joke that APCs will shoot at viruses
https://twitter.com/bamr69/status/1243179946069102592
Soldiers move around, just as in the US, Miami has uniformed NG troops assisting, they were also deployed to other states and cities.

As for the armored vehicles, the military does not stop because of this, the US also has military movements and training going on while this is happening. The NG also has big, scary looking military vehicles they are driving around for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe