Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 12:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Yes, there is. Just look at the census questions, among many other official documents at all levels of government that citizens are required by penalty of law to fill out. And it's deeply embedded in other rules, regulations and public policies as well.
Give me an practical example of "institutionalized" racism....filling out a form where you have to specify your race for statistical purposes?? Give me a break....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 01:23 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Give me an practical example of "institutionalized" racism....filling out a form where you have to specify your race for statistical purposes?? Give me a break....
I think it's institutionalized racism to do that. I don't know how many times I've come across something requiring me to check the race box. If there's an "other" I check that and write in "human". You're people and human or you're not, there's no shades of grey. If you're going to separate people by color or race that's racism.

Outside of the institutions there's a deep seated racism in our everyday lives. I have to say that racial bias exists aplenty in America. The problem is some of the people who run around screaming racism are in fact some of the worst racists you will ever find. You can get rich here in America by being a victim and race is one way of playing that role.

Racism in America is a profitable institution.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Quote:
Traffic stops. It came out during the Philando Castile shooting that police were routinely stopping out of town cars driven by blacks in an attempt to dissuade people they thought could be casing the area for burglaries and robberies.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
There's plenty of evidence of DWB (driving while black) and I've been DWW (driving while white) in the wrong part of town. I used to take a shortcut through Tacomas hilltop neighborhood. A bad place back in the 90s and it was drug central then ruled by black gangs. What's a white guy doing there? Most were buying drugs on the street. I was pulled over several times by Tacoma PD for this reason. It never really pissed me off because I knew why they were doing it and it's just good police work in the end.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Traffic stops. It came out during the Philando Castile shooting that police were routinely stopping out of town cars driven by blacks in an attempt to dissuade people they thought could be casing the area for burglaries and robberies.
That is not "institutionalized" racism.....

Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Since I'm the one who brought Canada into the discussion, I'll provide an answer.

Let's get one thing out of the way first. Canada doesn't come close to matching Sweden or most other Western European countries when it comes to social services. It beats the US at healthcare simply by virtue of actually having a national system in place.

What Canada excels at is tolerance. Its the most liberal Anglo country out there and avoids many of the pitfalls of the other ones. It lacks the institutionalized racial segregation that still plagues the US, and to a certain extent the UK. It's more progressive than either the US, UK or Australia. I excluded New Zealand as I'm not too familiar with the situation over there.
The US and Canada have different backgrounds when it comes to "racial segregation," so no surprise there

"The black population in the USA is about 40 million (12.7 % of the population) and the black population in Canada is just about 1.1 million (3.5% of the population). The majority of the USA black population is composed of African-Americans (the descendants of former slaves) and the remaining minority from Other (Africa, the Caribbean, Central & South America). Only 5% of the Canadian black population are the descendants of former slaves, 47 % from the Caribbean (in particular Jamaica), and 48% from Africa. Canada’s black population was at .6% in 1871 (immediately after the USA Civil War) and dropped to .2% in 1971; between the mid-1970s to present, the growth in Canada’s black population has been from immigration."

https://www.quora.com/How-does-being...lack-in-the-US

Quote:
It's economic model is quite similar to the US's with an emphasis on free enterprise, but with higher taxes. By extension, the gap in wealth isn't as dramatic as in the States, but is still noticeable.
Judging by the GINI coefficient, it's similar to parts of Europe...

Quote:
You also get humble, if somewhat too PC, Trudeau as prime minister instead of chest thumping clowns like Putin or Trump.

Canada doesn't have the ambitions of the global takeover ( unlike the US,) so..

Quote:
Saturno, on the other hand, left Canada for the US so he'll have a different story to tell.
Oh?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:

Institutional racism (also known as institutionalized racism) is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. Institutional racism is also racism by individuals or informal social groups,[1] governed by behavioral norms that support racist thinking and foment active racism. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other things. Whether implicitly or explicitly expressed, institutional racism occurs when a certain group is targeted and discriminated against based upon race. Institutional racism is mostly implicit in our ideas and attitudes, so it is often unnoticed by the individual expressing it (see implicit bias).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Now when it comes to FORMS - you need to check out those for the lower ladder of the society. Practically ALL kind of applications ( be that housing or energy assistance or what's not) ask about the race.

Yes, of course THERE IS institutionalized racism in the US - no doubt about it. It's simply rather more implicit than explicit. But it's there, never the less.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Quote:
That is not "institutionalized" racism.....
It's called the zero tolerance policy. It became famous under NYC Mayor Rudy Guiliani in the 90's when he sought to make it more difficult on teens, panhandlers, loiterers, and others deemed nuisances to tourists and business traffic. The Minneapolis/St. Paul police were using it to stop cars with minor violations for what would be considered more appropriate for the annual vehicle safety inspections.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The US and Canada have different backgrounds when it comes to "racial segregation," so no surprise there

"The black population in the USA is about 40 million (12.7 % of the population) and the black population in Canada is just about 1.1 million (3.5% of the population). The majority of the USA black population is composed of African-Americans (the descendants of former slaves) and the remaining minority from Other (Africa, the Caribbean, Central & South America). Only 5% of the Canadian black population are the descendants of former slaves, 47 % from the Caribbean (in particular Jamaica), and 48% from Africa. Canada’s black population was at .6% in 1871 (immediately after the USA Civil War) and dropped to .2% in 1971; between the mid-1970s to present, the growth in Canada’s black population has been from immigration."

https://www.quora.com/How-does-being...lack-in-the-US
Canada never really had to deal with slavery, though we are still failing at integrating First Nation people.

Quote:
Judging by the GINI coefficient, it's similar to parts of Europe...
Canada occupies the middle ground between the laissez-faire of the US and the more social democracies of Europe. By extension, unemployment rates in Canada tend to be higher and disposable incomes are smaller due to higher taxes. Cost of goods are also usually higher.

Quote:
Canada doesn't have the ambitions of the global takeover ( unlike the US,) so..
Nor the means to carry it out if it wanted.
In all fairness, Trudeau isn't really that great either. He's a lot like Obama, in that his popularity comes from his charisma, but most of his policies are devoid of any real meat. Nevertheless, I would still take someone like him over the gung-ho leaders of the world (Trump, Putin, Kim Jong, Duterte, Ayatollah, Maduro, Netanyahu, Erdogan...).

Quote:
Oh?
I'll let him answer all those questions. Let's just say he's not exactly the most popular person on the Canadian forum.
He makes a lot of good points though.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's called the zero tolerance policy. It became famous under NYC Mayor Rudy Guiliani in the 90's when he sought to make it more difficult on teens, panhandlers, loiterers, and others deemed nuisances to tourists and business traffic. The Minneapolis/St. Paul police were using it to stop cars with minor violations for what would be considered more appropriate for the annual vehicle safety inspections.

Zero tolerance policy has nothing to do with race....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe