Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Most Spanish girls seem to have very light appearance unless they are from the Southeast. They take care of themselves but the accent throws me off. They don't seem particularly fiery as the stereotype suggests, they just seem like regular Western Europe girls
"Very light" is relative. Most of the crowd pics posted show people who aren't "very light" at all. Let's keep in mind that Spain has very high UV indexes and that it has no evolutionary benefit for Mediterraneans to be "light".

They look like other Mediterraneans. I don't know where people get the idea that Spaniards are light. Crowd pics certainly don't show that whatsoever. Maybe light compared to triracial Latin Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
"Very light" is relative. Most of the crowd pics posted show people who aren't "very light" at all. Let's keep in mind that Spain has very high UV indexes and that it has no evolutionary benefit for Mediterraneans to be "light".

They look like other Mediterraneans. I don't know where people get the idea that Spaniards are light. Crowd pics certainly don't show that whatsoever. Maybe light compared to triracial Latin Americans.
I know some people from my uni. People from the Northern and the Western parts in particular look very light. Southeast parts not so much. There was a girl from Sevilla who had an appearance that wouldn't look out of place in Morocco

Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

I'm Dutch and most Spanish people which I know and see every day on the streets wouldn't look out of place in Netherlands... yes, the vast majority have a slightly more tanned natural skin, but still completely white and Western European. And still Spain is full of very pale looking people, as well as many blonde females. I laugh on the "blonde maps" from the Internet, you can't make that trustworthy lol.

Warszawa said that most Spaniards look fully Western European. Which is as true as the sun warms up the Earth. Hollywood stereotypes on Spaniards: dark hair, olive skin, etc are just as fake as a 30$ bill.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
I think the Spanish stereotypical appearance is more like what you would see in Colombia/Venezuela or the coastal regions of Ecuador/Peru than actual Spain

Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 AM

426 posts, read 351,609 times
Quote:
I know some people from my uni. People from the Northern and the Western parts in particular look very light. Southeast parts not so much. There was a girl from Sevilla who had an appearance that wouldn't look out of place in Morocco
That's not only from the south I've met a few galician's that were darker complexion and they weren't gypsie or anything. There are also people from Seville that can have a lighter complexion etc. That's the beauty of Spain, you will see many different looks, not just one particular look from a specific region!

Old 07-06-2017, 01:07 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,823 times
can there be a thread where the words "light/white" wouldn't be thrown around like some kind of trophy or goal in life?

*look at people around* "mummy mummy!! why are you talking to that dark thing with a skirt?? you remember what the other people have said "dark people are like dark magic - it's bad!! best avoid them."

"wow, you're so white, it's blinding me. wanna f***?? you and me are gonna make great, beautiful, inteligent, rich, WHITE babies."

CD for ya.

anyway, carry on. i am white enough but my soul is as dark as the inside of my butt and so i feel terribly unwhite for this world.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I'm Dutch and most Spanish people which I know and see every day on the streets wouldn't look out of place in Netherlands... yes, the vast majority have a slightly more tanned natural skin, but still completely white and Western European. And still Spain is full of very pale looking people, as well as many blonde females. I laugh on the "blonde maps" from the Internet, you can't make that trustworthy lol.

Warszawa said that most Spaniards look fully Western European. Which is as true as the sun warms up the Earth. Hollywood stereotypes on Spaniards: dark hair, olive skin, etc are just as fake as a 30$ bill.
Dutch you say? I like your Sinterklaas

My man (or woman), all of these claims of mythical Atlantid Spaniards are easily debunked by just watching videos of Spanish crowds with millions of people. Dark types predominate. Who gives a **** about blonde haired maps or racial science. I have never seen a video or crowd pic with tons of light Spaniards. A simple google search will reveal that it's bull****.

Your average Spaniard woman looks like Paz Vega or Claudia Bassols in coloring. Not Moroccan by any means but not Dutch either. And tanned they look Greek.

I also love how whenever there's a dark Spaniard they're supposedly Gypsy or Sephardic but light Spaniards are never scrutinized as being foreign. As if Northern Europeans don't move to Spain either. But no, it's the dark ones who are not Spanish.

And since you're Dutch, Spaniards and Dutch share similar features in terms of bone structure but NOT coloring. You guys have way more blue eyes and light hair than Spain. But both types have the very robust Western European features (Cromagnid influence) and also a good amount of fine featured people. I would say that a Spaniard and a Dutch person have very similar faces in terms of being long faced and with very coarse features however. A Spaniard looks Western European in terms of facial structure but body wise Spain is shorter and has way more dark brown and black hair.

Keep in mind I am not saying they look North African or Mexican or any of that garbage. They look like typical robust Western Euros but they have dark complexions. If you have crowd pics or videos of a bunch of light Spaniards I would be happy to see them because saying "I know a light Spaniard" means nothing. If I said I knew a dark Dutch person who looked Mediterranean it would be the equivalent of that.

Also I am Portuguese-Spanish and know tons of Dutch people. Our skin isn't far off but my tanning ability way outperforms theirs. However we do have similar facial features (they call it horsefaced) because our faces are long, we have large jaws, and we have long narrow noses (mine is even more than a Dutch person's). We also have the same heavy brows, small eyes, and oblong face. When in heavy Dutch areas nobody thinks I look "ethnic". I don't stand out other than my super dark hair and eyes but skin tone wise I am about the same as a Dutch person.

Guys I am not saying that Spaniards don't look European or are very dark skinned. They just have dark features AS A WHOLE which is proven by my crowd pics. If you have proof of a majority light population who is ethnically Spanish I would love to see it. It isn't there. Iberians aren't South American but they're not Irish either. Most Iberians would be taken as Greek before Dutch any day.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:24 AM

345 posts, read 268,763 times
Quote:
Most Spanish girls seem to have very light appearance unless they are from the Southeast. They take care of themselves but the accent throws me off. They don't seem particularly fiery as the stereotype suggests, they just seem like regular Western Europe girls

Not really, most of the population is quite homogeneous due to history. You might find pockets of very fair or rather dark people here and there, but most of the population is rather homogeneous

As to Spanish women fiery? Maybe during the 19th century...Prosper Mrerimé, etc,

Oh yes, when you are very fair they might confuse you for a tourists, just my case, but not when you dress local and Spanish. Very dark are sometimes considered "agitanao", but nothing derogatory.

Being a country with such a long history, you can find about anything.

Pictures appearing here of people in cities -valencia-mallorca- are very different from other regions such as regions up north, central, etc..with not such a large proportion of southern immigrants - poor regions in the south...that look different from other regions in the south.

Very complex.

Below, my mother's town during San Roque celebrations. Picos de Europa - old spain

Last edited by papuolo; 07-08-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 AM

San Roque

a Ortigueiru Asturies

Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:

There are some stunning blondes in Andalusia, towns packed with them.....but as everything in Spain, the country is like a box full of strange rocks and insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe