Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:19 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times

Advertisements

No fan of current mainstream processing & packaging either.

Perhaps things will change as the industry moves away from being concentrated/dominated in 2 particular strips of the country (though they too have to guard against becoming global bourgeoisie).

Quote:
Oregon’s film tax-credit program was recently raised from a $6 million to $10 million cap and there are currently three series regularly in production in Portland: NBC’s “Grimm,” IFC’s “Portlandia” and TNT’s upcoming “The Librarians.”

Washington won its first TV series through its incentive program earlier this year with Syfy’s 13-episode zombie drama “Z Nation,” which began production in Spokane in May and will air this fall, starting Sept. 12.
The Seattle Times: Hollywood producers snubbing Seattle; here’s why

Quote:
A new generation of TV talent is grateful for the chaos. After Tom Bernardo, a former attorney, quit his job and moved to Los Angeles in 2014, he found work fetching coffee and researching scripts as a “Bosch” writers’ assistant making $600 a week.

Within months, he was promoted to staff writer and, now, co-producer for the new 10-episode season, with an agent negotiating his per-episode pay rate.
Washington Post: America has never had so much TV, and even Hollywood is overwhelmed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 PM

510 posts, read 370,718 times
I think I can relate as almost all of the music, documentaries, odd human stuff I look at is on You Tube. I enjoy some music videos on You Tube that have less than 500 views. Maybe your music-loving friends would be willing to check some of these? How many times it has been watched does not seem to have any relation to how good a band is. Some videos have over 1 billion views and I think they're boring. You Tube videos don't cost anything extra to watch. It seems almost every song that had been recorded since WWII is on You Tube. Some unknown bands became famous by putting themselves on You Tube.

I like to hear music I've never heard before, as long as they tell me title & artist. A radio with HD or otherwise having RDS will tell you titles and artists. But I almost never use radio since You Tube has it all.

Many of the comedians I used to like are dead now. Others are restricted to satellite due to language as they use those words that 5 year olds hear in rock music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Comedians - a couple made me laugh in my teens, but now I find them all boring.

BTW - I've never downloaded any music either. The only music I listen to is a little bit of country on the radio while driving. I know almost nothing about who sings what or who's in what band. This is another conversation killer when talking to people because everyone loves music.

Is an area of my brain not functioning?

Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Comedians - a couple made me laugh in my teens, but now I find them all boring. There's something about attaching the "comedy" label that instantly makes me think "canned humor" (which I guess is what comedy is). I remember watching movies with friends or at school and it seemed like everyone instantly laughed during certain scenes, but I had absolutely no reaction. I would often fake a laugh to not seem too weird. Kevin Hart, Dane Cook, Will Ferrell, Louis C.K., Schumer, etc - hearing them makes me want to start clawing my eye out.

I also find about 90% movies and 95% of popular tv shows to be unentertaining. Most of my friends can talk non-stop about tons of tv shows and movies. In the last 10 years the only tv show I've watched was Breaking Bad (watched it all 4 months ago in about two weeks). After watching that I was craving more, but couldn't stand to watch more than 1 episode of anything else I tried. I have absolutely nothing on TV that I MUST watch - if I'm flipping through I'll typically stop at the news, Shark Tank, American Greed, Lockup, 600lb Life, Intervention or sports.

So are there any other people like me who aren't easily entertained like 99% of people seem to be? In some ways it's a blessing because you get more done, but in some ways it's a curse because you don't get the all the joy of being entertained.

BTW - I've never downloaded any music either. The only music I listen to is a little bit of country on the radio while driving. I know almost nothing about who sings what or who's in what band. This is another conversation killer when talking to people because everyone loves music.

Excellent topic. I am the same way. I am not a movie goer, or a TV program watcher for the most part. I do like both Shark Tank and American Greed. Dual Survival is also really good and worth the time.

My entertainment comes mainly from sports, music, and the radio.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM

1,089 posts, read 579,019 times
Quote:
Comedians - a couple made me laugh in my teens, but now I find them all boring. There's something about attaching the "comedy" label that instantly makes me think "canned humor" (which I guess is what comedy is). I remember watching movies with friends or at school and it seemed like everyone instantly laughed during certain scenes, but I had absolutely no reaction. I would often fake a laugh to not seem too weird. Kevin Hart, Dane Cook, Will Ferrell, Louis C.K., Schumer, etc - hearing them makes me want to start clawing my eye out.
I totally agree with you on what passes for "comedy" today. It seems like all of today's comedians and comedy films are based solely on how many swear words and human anatomy jokes can be crammed into one routine. And people roar with laughter, so they keep doing it. But not me.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it. It's not that I'm offended by off-color jokes here and there. I simply don't see why its assumed that this is the only possible way to get laughs anymore.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
It has to be a generational thing. Everything is marketed to the younger millennial and that seems to dominate most of the media.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:00 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Advertisers want TV shows for 18 - 49 year olds because they are the group most likely to try new products or they have children in the home for whom they buy new products based on kid wants. Since I'm way older than 49, they don't make broadcast TV shows for me. I watch ZERO TV shows on CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. I'm more likely to watch dramas only on FX, Showtime, Sundance, ION, and HBO and movies, documentaries and cable news/business channel shows. I occasionally watch TNT.

I've repeated binge watching Justified and Homeland.

I've never watched Late Night Talk shows unless I knew particular person would be on. I don't like chit chat.

Never been one for sitcoms. Watch South Park only occasionally, now. Last year was a disaster.

I seem to rewatch movies I have already seen and liked, too. I don't understand why they remake good movies. They should remake bad ones and make them better.

I used to like The Blue Collar Comedy Tours.

I read non-fiction.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Most Pop culture is insulting or boring to me for a very long time. Bits and pieces stand out from time to time to keep me interested, but one's taste over time changes also. When movie scripts devolved to constant repeats of "F**K", ad nauseam, which continues to this day, it just takes away from rather than adding to the story. It's all a race to the bottom, comedians being the worst. I can't remember the last time any one of them made me laugh. And I'M made out to be a stick in the mud. But put on a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast and you'll see me laughing like never before. What's the difference? Real talent, less drug use, or just different standards?

After all the hype, which turns me off, I finally heard a moment of Justin Bieber's singing. All the hype, over THAT?!? It's all his good looks, and not a damn thing more!! Which only re enforces my getting turned off by hyper hyping by our media.

Maybe the expansion of our media is reaching it's useful end? Look at how news is skewed and twisted so much for so long. I ignore most of what I can't stand, maybe others will finally follow and just turn the horse s**t off.

Exactly. Which is why I can't be bothered to watch 99% of it anymore. I don't even have cable anymore. Why pay for something that is either an insult to your intelligence, or pure filth or both?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:

I also find about 90% movies and 95% of popular tv shows to be unentertaining. Most of my friends can talk non-stop about tons of tv shows and movies. In the last 10 years the only tv show I've watched was Breaking Bad (watched it all 4 months ago in about two weeks). After watching that I was craving more, but couldn't stand to watch more than 1 episode of anything else I tried. I have absolutely nothing on TV that I MUST watch - if I'm flipping through I'll typically stop at the news, Shark Tank, American Greed, Lockup, 600lb Life, Intervention or sports.

So are there any other people like me who aren't easily entertained like 99% of people seem to be? In some ways it's a blessing because you get more done, but in some ways it's a curse because you don't get the all the joy of being entertained.

Yes. I can skip all the responses in this whole big long thread, and just answer your original post. Yes.

An area of your brain doesn't function the way most people's brains do. And it's a loss for you, honestly. Louis C.K. is spit tea through your nose funny. I'm sorry you're missing these great pleasures in life that most people enjoy.

I'm honestly sad for people who don't laugh heartily and easily. It comes very natural to me, and I'm not being a snob here. I'm sorry for people who don't laugh deeply and frequently.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes. I can skip all the responses in this whole big long thread, and just answer your original post. Yes.

An area of your brain doesn't function the way most people's brains do. And it's a loss for you, honestly. Louis C.K. is spit tea through your nose funny. I'm sorry you're missing these great pleasures in life that most people enjoy.

I'm honestly sad for people who don't laugh heartily and easily. It comes very natural to me, and I'm not being a snob here. I'm sorry for people who don't laugh deeply and frequently.
Sorry Clara but you are simply projecting what makes YOU happy onto everyone else.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:48 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Sorry Clara but you are simply projecting what makes YOU happy onto everyone else.
As was the OP who qualified his initial "I don't like anything" assertion with several things he does like to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts