Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times

Advertisements

Everybody knocks el paso for being boring, call me a chicken, but i rather be safe, than live in a city with hurricanes, tornados, floods, snowstorms, etc etc....I just dont think i could live in a city, where every year i would have to rebuild, im serious, i dont care if its the #1 most entertaining city in the world. L.A, has numerous entertainment options, but u never know, when a big earthquake could hit, so im going to stay here, if i need to be entertained, ill take a vacation, thank u!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Everybody knocks el paso for being boring, call me a chicken, but i rather be safe, than live in a city with hurricanes, tornados, floods, snowstorms, etc etc....I just dont think i could live in a city, where every year i would have to rebuild, im serious, i dont care if its the #1 most entertaining city in the world. L.A, has numerous entertainment options, but u never know, when a big earthquake could hit, so im going to stay here, if i need to be entertained, ill take a vacation, thank u!!!!
BLAH BLAH BLAH.. BLAH. Yeah I would not live anywhere in California either. But Hurricanes are not all that bad really.. Lots of people live on the coast and they get a few days warning.. Hurricanes don't bother me. Earthquakes, yeah they bother me.. Tornadoes yeah they bother me. But El Paso has its fair share of natural disasters as well.. Drought, & Earth Quakes both effect El Paso. Oh and El Paso is also Fire Prone. No matter where one calls home there are benefits and hindrances, the good and the bad.. what one finds an acceptable balance between them all.

So really El Paso is no different than any other place.. you could be the victim of a flash flood, or a fire, and have to rebuild. Thats right El Paso also floods. See another natural disaster to worry about. And Mud Slides too.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH.. BLAH. Yeah I would not live anywhere in California either. But Hurricanes are not all that bad really.. Lots of people live on the coast and they get a few days warning.. Hurricanes don't bother me. Earthquakes, yeah they bother me.. Tornadoes yeah they bother me. But El Paso has its fair share of natural disasters as well.. Drought, & Earth Quakes both effect El Paso. Oh and El Paso is also Fire Prone. No matter where one calls home there are benefits and hindrances, the good and the bad.. what one finds an acceptable balance between them all.

So really El Paso is no different than any other place.. you could be the victim of a flash flood, or a fire, and have to rebuild. Thats right El Paso also floods. See another natural disaster to worry about. And Mud Slides too.

Pick your house in the right area and you won't be bothered by floods or mudslides. Hurricanes...............lost my house in one. Hadn't had a hurricane in 45 years there. I close on my house.. and whamo----37 days later... say hello to Hurricane Charley. And we weren't supposed to get the hurricane either.. it was headed to Tampa Bay. As long as I was in the cone, I got out with the car filled with all that was near and dear to my heart and headed across Alligator Alley to the east coast. The next morning while watching the weather on a Miami station, I watched in horror as Charley made a hard right turn..........right into my neighborhood.

That's another income tax free state off my list.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Pick your house in the right area and you won't be bothered by floods or mudslides. Hurricanes...............lost my house in one. Hadn't had a hurricane in 45 years there. I close on my house.. and whamo----37 days later... say hello to Hurricane Charley. And we weren't supposed to get the hurricane either.. it was headed to Tampa Bay. As long as I was in the cone, I got out with the car filled with all that was near and dear to my heart and headed across Alligator Alley to the east coast. The next morning while watching the weather on a Miami station, I watched in horror as Charley made a hard right turn..........right into my neighborhood.

That's another income tax free state off my list.
Thats not so much True anymore.. My Grandmother had owned the house we now own since it was built in 1960. Never had any floods ever here, that is until the city built the huge dam, also known as a loop 375 off ramp at the end of our street, now every year for the last 5-6 years we have had flooding... and mud. Brand new houses out in a plains area here in N.E. El Paso, had 4-6 feet of water and mud go though there brand new houses... also not a flood zone.

My Sister also went though Charlie, she was at the Air Force base out there... so I have an idea of what your talking about.

I lived in Gulfport Mississippi, that whole area was worst hit than New Orleans by Katrina.. so I know first hand what a Hurricane can do. Still they don't bother me.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
To me the only thing missing are lakes and rivers -- otherwise how can a place be boring when the sun comes out ever day and the weather is always very pleasant?

To me boring is when you have to stay indoors because it's raining all day or blizzarding, or there's a tornado blowing around. Some people live in places that have a little more to do in the summer as far as a lot of water sports, but then they have 6 months of snow and have to spend money to get to a sunny place so they don't go crazy.

I suppose it's got to do with what someone finds boring but every day a perfect day as far as weather doesn't bore me.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To me the only thing missing are lakes and rivers -- otherwise how can a place be boring when the sun comes out ever day and the weather is always very pleasant?

To me boring is when you have to stay indoors because it's raining all day or blizzarding, or there's a tornado blowing around. Some people live in places that have a little more to do in the summer as far as a lot of water sports, but then they have 6 months of snow and have to spend money to get to a sunny place so they don't go crazy.

I suppose it's got to do with what someone finds boring but every day a perfect day as far as weather doesn't bore me.
Snow Boarding, Snow Skiing, Ice Hockey.. those people live for the Winter sports.. so for them the Oppressive Heat is bad, very bad. I think El Paso is too hot to be honest.. I loved Boise ID, for Biking and hiking and all that.. it was never too hot, and if it was Bogus Basin was a short drive away so were lakes and forest that would get you away form the heat.

Cold is easier to deal with.. you can always put more on.. you can only take so much off.

But yeah I understand your POV.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM

729 posts, read 2,066,739 times
I can do without the Tornado warnings here in ATX. We had a tornado touchdown just 3 miles from my house a couple of months ago. She danced around the city and fortunately nobody was hurt.

I'd rather deal with dry heat and humid heat any day. Tornadoes vs Dust Storms...hmmm I will take the dust storms.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
Quote:
What, you want to live for ever?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times
no but atleast past 45 lol

Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

105 posts, read 493,924 times
People can lock themselves in insulated boxes and be safe, but it ain't much of a life.

El Paso has its share of floods, as we were reminded this past week. We also have severe sand/wind storms, as well as hail storms and the brewing drug wars right across the border. Oh, and, BTW...earthquakes do hit El Paso. There's a nice fault line running along the Franklins.

Sleep tight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso