Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I wouldn't search those entertainers out now, but my 10-15 year old self found them funny. My favorite comedians were those that involved unknowing participants. My young teenage self liked movies like American Pie and Road Trip...but I think just about all teen boys liked those. Being entertained like that again would be nice.

I've just tried shows recommended by friends or while channel surfing - nothing appealed to me...not even game of Thrones. The only one I liked was Breaking Bad. I would've been happy to see that one continue for a long time. I don't pay for services like Hulu, Netflix or Starz. I did like a couple shows in the 90s - The Wonder Years and Boy Meets World.
There's a whole world of 13 year olds on Youtube if you want low-brow comedy. I can't say that any of the above ever entertained me (especially anything to do with unsuspecting participants) but then again, I was a 10-15 year old girl.

Personally, if that's a baseline for being entertained then I am incredibly grateful that nothing is "entertaining" anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:23 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There's a whole world of 13 year olds on Youtube if you want low-brow comedy. I can't say that any of the above ever entertained me (especially anything to do with unsuspecting participants) but then again, I was a 10-15 year old girl.

Personally, if that's a baseline for being entertained then I am incredibly grateful that nothing is "entertaining" anymore!
I'm willing to bet that you and 99% of people laughed at totally different things at ~13 years old and ~30+ years old. Granted, I don't really see a difference between "low-brow" comedy of Tom Green/the Borat guy and today's insanely popular comedians like Kevin Hart. Replacing goofiness with talking loud and F-bombs doesn't make me laugh. Worse yet are the pseudo-intellectual comedians that appeal to the hipster/liberal crowd...nails on a chalk board.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 07-11-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 01:27 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
I have not gotten hooked on any prime time show in decades. I don't bother...the last ten years or so the commercials for new shows are enough. Bleh...and often disgusting.

Mae
Speaking of commercials - I've don't watch nearly as much stuff on YouTube since they started forcing commercials on people. If I see a commercial I turn it off on principle. Over the course of one's life, all the 15-45 second ads add up to a lot of time wasted.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that you and 99% of people laughed at totally different things at ~12 years old and ~30+ years old. Granted, I don't really see a difference between "low-brow" comedy of Tom Green/the Borat guy and today's insanely popular comedians like Kevin Hart. Replacing goofiness with talking loud and F-bombs doesn't make me laugh. Worse yet are the pseudo-intellectual comedians that appeal to the hipster/liberal crowd...nails on a chalk board.
SO I'm a little confused...

While you were enjoying American Pie (back when you were what, 12?) there were plenty of 30 year olds complaining about how horrible and un-funny that movie was, and when THOSE 30yos were 12 and enjoying, say, Cannonball Run, there were 30yos back THEN complaining about how horrible that movie was.

I would never in a thousand years expect a 12yo's humor tastes to stay intact throughout a lifetime. IMHO that would be very weird.

So what's the OP's point? That you simply prefer different things today?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Speaking of commercials - I've don't watch nearly as much stuff on YouTube since they started forcing commercials on people. If I see a commercial I turn it off on principle. Over the course of one's life, all the 15-45 second ads add up to a lot of time wasted.
Adblocker or uBlock. Solved.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
SO I'm a little confused...

While you were enjoying American Pie (back when you were what, 12?) there were plenty of 30 year olds complaining about how horrible and un-funny that movie was, and when THOSE 30yos were 12 and enjoying, say, Cannonball Run, there were 30yos back THEN complaining about how horrible that movie was.

I would never in a thousand years expect a 12yo's humor tastes to stay intact throughout a lifetime. IMHO that would be very weird.

So what's the OP's point? That you simply prefer different things today?
Depends on what you were watching. I was watching Bill and Ted and thought their two movies were pretty funny. I was also watching Police Academy, Naked Gun, Dumb and Dumber, Cheech and Chong, etc. It's fun to look back and finally get all the references that went over my head at the time.

A lot of those movies still hold up. Today's comedies date themselves so easily cus they're chock full of up to date cultural, technological, pop cultural references.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:18 PM

46 posts, read 96,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if the old classics were really so great, they would dominate cable and the airwaves instead of being relegated to middle of the night viewings and obscure channels. Frankly, the over the top acting usually has me in stitches or quickly reaching for the remote.
I was literally about to say similar. I agree because if the old TV shows and movies (up until the 70s, if not the 70s than its the 60s) were that great like the old people say, then they would dominate still and the new/er ones would tank so low. But, I have one more thing to add. Those shows and movies do not pertain to modern life, and I think most people want to watch something that pertains to modern life. Meaning, those things literally date itself. So its probably a combination of both.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Well to be fair, I think the supposed "golden age of films", the 50s and 60s, were pretty hit or miss or dull. I think movies from the 30s and 40s are great such as Hitchcock's Rebecca and he's one the few directors I liked from the Golden Age, but the rest are dull to me.

To me the Golden Age was 70s-90s. I mean what a set of decades to watch films. Sure lots of bad stuff too, but LOTS of great stuff to overcome the schlock.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Depends on what you were watching. I was watching Bill and Ted and thought their two movies were pretty funny. I was also watching Police Academy, Naked Gun, Dumb and Dumber, Cheech and Chong, etc. It's fun to look back and finally get all the references that went over my head at the time.

A lot of those movies still hold up. Today's comedies date themselves so easily cus they're chock full of up to date cultural, technological, pop cultural references.
I can't say definitively if there are more or fewer pop cultural references in newer vs. older films, but for sure many older films had plenty, including the older films you mention. I'm re-watching many films from the 60s-90s with my kids and I'm having to explain LOTS of cultural references.

I suppose a film could be like 95% pop culture and thus get dated more quickly than others, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well to be fair, I think the supposed "golden age of films", the 50s and 60s, were pretty hit or miss or dull. I think movies from the 30s and 40s are great such as Hitchcock's Rebecca and he's one the few directors I liked from the Golden Age, but the rest are dull to me.

To me the Golden Age was 70s-90s. I mean what a set of decades to watch films. Sure lots of bad stuff too, but LOTS of great stuff to overcome the schlock.
Yeah, most people forget that the cream rises to the top...we forget the dozens and dozens of pure garbage films of any given time period because....they're not easily available to re-watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts