Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
Look around, there's a huge number of choices available in music, movies and television. There's been some specialization and there are fewer "generic" options that have broad appeal.

Mass marketed entertainment is not appealing to me in any genre, and I've gotten a bit tired of doing the research necessary to pick the good from the bad. But good entertainment is available now more than ever.

I like watching old movies (from the 40's) and modern "old" movies (from the 80's and 90's) just as much as new releases. Our access to these has never been better, you can still get netflix DVD service to watch anything, or instant streaming through amazon, hulu, filmstruck, etcetera.
I don't think anyone is doubting that. I too agree that there is still a lot of good stuff, you just have to mine for it and build your own base for it. I think people are just lamenting the days when it was a lot easier and more mainstream to have good stuff readily available at your local theater.

I remember watching the original Fargo in the same cinema showing The Nutty Professor. Now these days I could see Fargo only showing in the indie art house theaters. And I think that sucks because, I probably wouldn't have discovered good cinema had I not theater hopped from the Nutty Professor to Fargo and was wow'ed by how good it and intriguing the story was. From then on I was hooked to good quality cinema.

The cineplex has literally turned into a virtual theme park where people just choose their ride, and since most people aren't film buffs, they're just folks looking to waste two hours, they randomly pick a movie and it's usually the fun one. The studios then go on to think that they're just giving the people what they want, which they are per se, but they're also limiting choices at the cineplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I'm with you. Kevin Hart, unfortunately is in everything today and I find him the most annoying person on the planet.
You are not alone. He's an arrogant prick who is above tipping.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Different strokes. What TV have you tried watching? We're in a golden age of TV right now with some of the best produced and most well written shows in history (think AMC, HBO, Starz, even Hulu and Netflix!) plus some decent offerings on cable (ABC primarily), but on the other hand, there's a lot of dreck in reality TV.

I'm your age and can't understand how anyone would put Tom Green and "hilarious" in the same sentence. :P He represented the worst of over the top comedy of the late 90s/early 2000s. I'd consider Road Trip, The Hangover, Borat, etc completely boring compared to the big names in today's standup scene. I've never been a huge movie fan, but there's some great stuff out now, especially in the sci-fi, superhero (which normally wouldn't be my thing but they've been so good lately), and arthouse genres.
I wouldn't search those entertainers out now, but my 10-15 year old self found them funny. My favorite comedians were those that involved unknowing participants. My young teenage self liked movies like American Pie and Road Trip...but I think just about all teen boys liked those. Being entertained like that again would be nice.

I've just tried shows recommended by friends or while channel surfing - nothing appealed to me...not even game of Thrones. The only one I liked was Breaking Bad. I would've been happy to see that one continue for a long time. I don't pay for services like Hulu, Netflix or Starz. I did like a couple shows in the 90s - The Wonder Years and Boy Meets World.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I have to ask, how old are you ?

Because I fell like everything peaked in the 90's as well, and sure enough, that's when I grew up. (31)
The OP is 30. Maybe this feeling is really nostalgia for the things of your youth. I can assure you that everything didn't peak in the 90s. Every decade/generation creates quality art even if you can't personally appreciate it.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
Congratulations on being normal!

Re music, just go to You Tube, you can listen to anything without paying for a download. Just about any song ever recorded with videos, from '40s to stuff not yet hits, whatever type of music you like. You Tube also lets you know the most popular current songs.

If you are more likely to like songs most have never heard, they're on there, too. Plus seeing the videos while hearing the music adds to the enjoyment.

An HD or RDS radio lets you know title and artist of every song you are hearing. I like that, but probably prefer You Tube, with even rarer songs, uncensored. Radio has become like TV in that they'd rather bore most people than risk offending a few. Programs must be best combo to not offend listeners/viewers, or advertisers or networks. So we get what about 10 people do or don't want us to see/hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Comedians - now I find them all boring.

I also find about 90% movies and 95% of popular tv shows to be unentertaining. I have absolutely nothing on TV that I MUST watch - if I'm flipping through I'll typically stop at the news, Shark Tank, American Greed, Lockup, 600lb Life, Intervention or sports.

So are there any other people like me who aren't easily entertained like 99% of people seem to be? In some ways it's a blessing because you get more done, but in some ways it's a curse because you don't get the all the joy of being entertained.

BTW - I've never downloaded any music either. The only music I listen to is a little bit of country on the radio while driving. I know almost nothing about who sings what or who's in what band. This is another conversation killer when talking to people because everyone loves music.

Is an area of my brain not functioning?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
Your fine buddy.
It's the entertainers who are the problem.
Good ol Back to the Future and 90s movies for me.
Even the new music lacks the feel .
Simpsons were clever and funny,
now they are a special ed's adults cartoon.
It's all crud.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
That's the biggest letdown of all is the downgrading of The Simpsons. What happened?

Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
I have not gotten hooked on any prime time show in decades. I don't bother...the last ten years or so the commercials for new shows are enough. Bleh...and often disgusting.

Mae

Old 07-11-2017, 07:38 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Only read OP. You are not alone.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 AM

268 posts, read 227,315 times
I don't watch much TV and never did. I don't find it very entertaining. When I do watch TV it's usually the News or one of the educational channels such as Discovery or Animal Planet or NGO and NGO-wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts