Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
he is NOT MY president, just as much as you liberals scream that you did not vote for BUSH, and he is not your president.

I do not like him, I do not trust him, his policy's are Flawed, and will cause us more problems that we have now. I have done my research, I don't blindly follow someone because "he speaks well" or because of the color of his skin, I I follow someone because of what they WILL do, I don't look at the superficial like so many followers or should I say "disciples" do. I am not going to vote for Either of them, both party's are going down the same road, just one is going at it faster than the other.

HE WILL NOT BE MY PRESIDENT, he might be the president of the US however, but NOT my president.
The President represents ALL of the citizens of the United States. You don't hear the soldiers saying they don't fight for all of the citizens, just "my cousin and my uncle", or "only the republicans", I don't fight for the dems.

The President represents the will of the people and signs into law, legislation representing the peoples will. If you don't like the laws, Change your Congressmen and Representatives - they represent you as well, they're yours.
The founders were explicit in who's Government this is - it's yours, and mine and we're responsible for everything they do. You could opt out however, but then you'd be a citizen of another Nation, and how much fun would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The President represents ALL of the citizens of the United States. You don't hear the soldiers saying they don't fight for all of the citizens, just "my cousin and my uncle", or "only the republicans", I don't fight for the dems.

The President represents the will of the people and signs into law, legislation representing the peoples will. If you don't like the laws, Change your Congressmen and Representatives - they represent you as well, they're yours.
The founders were explicit in who's Government this is - it's yours, and mine and we're responsible for everything they do. You could opt out however, but then you'd be a citizen of another Nation, and how much fun would that be?
I will not vote for people that are currently in power, they are taking us in the wrong direction, Look at the state of our economy, and everything that has led up to this point. I know technically he is the president of the United States, but he is not, nor will ever be my president as it comes to my mind.

I wish our government remembered the above statement, but they have stolen our power, and are doing with it what they will. Only voting out the people that think that they hold the power will we have it back in OUR hands. Obama is not CHANGE, he is just another scum bag politician that will steal our money, give it to people that do not deserve it and disguise it as "a helping hand" I am an American, that is why I am voicing my opinion in hopes to bring about TRUE change, and not just another man in a suit that thinks he is the power. And as I have said, I will not vote for either, it is time for a third party. The two partys no longer have differing opinion, they are essentially one party that is dysfunctional.

why is it that when you stay you will not vote for obama, somehow they think you are going to vote for McCain?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I come from a two party family. We have always had the rule to say anything you want until after the election. Once someone is elected, he or she is the president and should have the respect of the office. This is the first time in my life that I will have a difficult time doing that if Obama is elected. This is the first time that I think the person running is so out of touch with what America is, that he will never be someone I can accept in that office. I fear for America if this man wins. Doesn't being the most liberal person in the U. S. Senate register with your conscience?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So if you are a Republican, and voting for Obama, it does not apply. If you are a Republican voting for McCain, it most likely is true.

If you are a Democrat voting for Obama, it obviously does not apply, if you are a Democrat voting for McCain, you are not a Democrat but some kind of alien lifeform that originated on some other planet.

If you vote for either of these two parties, one of these explanations is true, whether you want to admit it or not.
What is your need for labels? I am a world citizen... a citizen of the United States of America... I am a human being... and I am an active voter. You can no more lump all of any one group into one small "thing" than you can another - whether YOU like it or not. All those who label themselves "republican" do not think the same... nor do all those who label themselves "democratic" (or whatever). I accept no label & vote according to my own beliefs, values, ethics, research, gut, heart, & spirit.

Needing to label & then therefore divide "us" instead into "US" vs "THEM" is just the thing that folks of the liberal persuasion are constantly accusing those of the conservative persuasion of doing.

Remember the saying about those in glass houses...

I am definitely one MAMA for OBAMA - but let's not get it twisted... DIVISION IS THE ENEMY! Stop the hate... please!

(one who works hard at practicing what she preaches... often falling short... but always getting right back up again)

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
The people losing their houses are the dumbasses who took loans they couldn't afford in the first place. And now Barry wants to give them a shout out and come running with even more money than W, while folks like me patiently save so as to be responsible. A pox on both their houses and the slavish sycophants lapping up their pandering.

What about we regular people who have lost $100,000+ in equity and are surrounded by foreclosures as we are here in Florida? If anyone here loses their jobs or has to transfer, etc.. they lose their houses too. The situation continues to ripple outwards. I see more evidence of this every day. Nine foreclosures on my block alone and counting. How can you be so short-sighted? This is an absolute crisis situation for many hard-working people. I've never seen anything like it. Apparently, your area hasn't been so hard hit, YET! You might be singing a different tune soon if McCain gets elected and continues to tell us how much better off we are now!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I come from a two party family. We have always had the rule to say anything you want until after the election. Once someone is elected, he or she is the president and should have the respect of the office. This is the first time in my life that I will have a difficult time doing that if Obama is elected. This is the first time that I think the person running is so out of touch with what America is, that he will never be someone I can accept in that office. I fear for America if this man wins. Doesn't being the most liberal person in the U. S. Senate register with your conscience?
I believe one should always speak her mind even if her voice shakes! I respect the office of the presidency & will not abide by derogatory talk about the president or anyone else for that matter. I believe there is a difference between speaking your own truth about a person's politics, beliefs, etc & bashing them as individual's/human beings - the latter I will not stand for. I also believe there is a great difference in respecting the office of the presidency & respecting the president him or herself - I've found myself making that distinction often over the years.

It confounds my mind that you feel Obama is so out of touch with the United States that you could never accept him... I am rendered speechless by that statement, actually.

Seeing his rise... learning more & more about who he is & what he stands for / believes in... & seeing the unity, faith, hope, fervor in my fellow US citizens has been nothing short of awe inspiring for me. For the first time in all of my life I believe I have found a candidate that I can truly believe in, trust his judgment, believe what he says, respect not only the office he holds but who he is as a human being.

I am overflowing with hopefulness for the future of not only this country but the world we live in! I am sad that you cannot see things even a bit as I do... I respect each of our right to our own opinion...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
What is your need for labels? I am a world citizen... a citizen of the United States of America... I am a human being... and I am an active voter. You can no more lump all of any one group into one small "thing" than you can another - whether YOU like it or not. All those who label themselves "republican" do not think the same... nor do all those who label themselves "democratic" (or whatever). I accept no label & vote according to my own beliefs, values, ethics, research, gut, heart, & spirit.

Needing to label & then therefore divide "us" instead into "US" vs "THEM" is just the thing that folks of the liberal persuasion are constantly accusing those of the conservative persuasion of doing.

Remember the saying about those in glass houses...

I am definitely one MAMA for OBAMA - but let's not get it twisted... DIVISION IS THE ENEMY! Stop the hate... please!

(one who works hard at practicing what she preaches... often falling short... but always getting right back up again)

I didnt label anyone, and it is not I who hate.

Someones voting choices will inevitably result from their beliefs, and sometimes, that belief focuses on what is wrong with the world, instead what is right with the world. It's entirely subjective, but since I started the thread, I threw it in there as I believe it relates to many Republicans.

Certainly not all of them.

But it is not labeling someone who was not impressed with the body of this speech or believe, as I do, that it was about all that can be right about America, and its likely they likely dont understand the positive message contained in the acceptance speech.

Its safe to say those who feel this way are Republicans. Maybe they are independents, but I dont think any are Democrats, and not buoyed by this speech. Maybe a few Hillary holdoouts, but they would be few in number.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The person that is so out of touch with America is McCain! Obama was raised in a blue collar family. He turned down Wall Street to help workers in Chicago. He knows what it is like to struggle and he is willing to work hard to make all of our lives better. McCain doesn't even remember how many houses he owns. How many of you can say that?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I didnt label anyone, and it is not I who hate.

Its safe to say those who feel this way are Republicans.
I am not going to debate the obvious with you - you can choose to see it or not... your freedom of choice. But here's how it went...

You said this:

That is a greatness that moves people from within, something Republicans could never, ever, understand, as it is bred of hope.

The statement in bold is a divisive one - plain and simple. It assumes that all republicans are void of hope & cannot understand a greatness that moves people from within.

This is ludicrous & it IS labelling... it IS judging... it IS pointlessly unkind & divisive.

It is NOT safe to say that those who feel differently than you do are republican - I don't know how you can arrive at this conclusion.

I agree that his speech was inspiring & many many good things but don't you dare label me as a liberal or a democrat because you'd be mistaken on both accounts. Assumptions are divisive & just what we don't need.

Take people as they come... drop the need to box people into concepts or ideas that you understand & let's find a way to come together - truly - on common ground. We really are all more alike than we are different!

That's all I have to say on this matter... peace out on this one... the thinky think.r

Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
They're just acting like a buncha jealous children because this wonderful speech in a stadium-full of 80,000+ supporters came from the "other side," while McCain's having trouble filling up a 10,000 seat theater for his speaking engagement in Dayton, despite his campaign's attempt to get more attendees with free ticket give-aways and busing people in from out of state.
All that and they now realize Obama's gonna kick McCain's patootie in November. They're scared as hell.
Well, actually, that's about what Obama did, too. The tickets were free, and they had a bus from Colorado Springs.

The finish reminded me of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections