Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times

Advertisements

A few days have passed... interesting to note what words had a lasting impact, what thoguhts I can still remember clearly.

The media likes to show him saying: I'm not going to say that McCain doesn’t care , I'm going to say that McCain doesn’t know.

Hmmm, that was ok, but I liked a few other moments.

I liked when he spoke about the defining moment in America’s history and then proceeded to the troubles that ordinary Americans are facing each day. He said all these problems are not governments’ problem to begin with but the failure to respond is a failure of the broken politics in America.

I liked Obama's comments on health care, education, and social security--and I especially liked when he attacked McCain’s economic policies. He had some choce words for Phil Gramm, too.

I liked when he told the American people that it is time for them to own their failures and it is time to change America. The crowd stood after that comment. Glad to see this, considering he just told people to own their failures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,558,947 times
84,000 people listening in person, 40 million listening on television.

Yes, people WANT to hear this message. Who cares what Republicans are lying about, their days are numbered.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 AM

How could I forget these stellar moments?

Obama spoke about how he opposed the war in Iraq and why we needed to take out Osama Bin Laden. Obama really attacked McCain for saying "he will go to the gates of hell to get Bin Laden but won't even go to the caves where Bin Laden stays."

And, of course, there was plenty of talk about unity. But I liked how Obama kept it real by saying that we disagree but we can find commonality.

The media clip I would have picked? Obama saying: "All across America something is stirring and what the naysayers don’t understand, this election is not about me but it is about you. ... for 18 long months you have stood up and said that you understand that change doesn’t come from Washington but it comes to Washington.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,178,597 times
The people who were there are the only ones that remember. The rest are talking about this Palin guy McCain chose.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM

I also liked how this speech covered some of the nuts and bolts of his campaign. For example:

I particularly liked his explanation of changing the tax codes for small businesses and companies who keep their jobs in America and don’t ship it overseas. Obama spoke of cutting taxes on the middle class.

He spoke about ending our dependency on oil in the Middle East in 10 years. He went on to attack McCain and him being in Washington for 26 years of the failed oil and energy policies in Washington.

I liked when he got specific about what government should be doing and what government isn’t doing. He spoke of how our government should work for us and not against us.

I liked when he said said he would go through America’s federal budget line by line to create new programs and eliminate old ones that are wasting tax prayer’s dollars. But... politicians always say this, of course.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The people who were there are the only ones that remember. The rest are talking about this Palin guy McCain chose.
LOL, I saw that photoshop picture you made. I don't think you think Palin's a guy!

You know, it's pretty rare for people to remember the specifics from any speech. If they just remember that they saw him on tv, and they liked what he had to say--that's good enough for me.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM

698 posts, read 1,511,604 times
Best part about the speech is he didn't even write it.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,737,371 times
If everyone was so inspired by the messiah why didn't he get a bounce in polls for the convention? They're still tied.............

Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,455,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I saw that photoshop picture you made. I don't think you think Palin's a guy!
I think that was paperhouse's point, he wasn't paying attention to McCain's pick!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,006,428 times
Speech, what speech. Oh, you mean that laundry list of liberal programs marched out every four years that the electorate runs from. More government, taxes.

Too bad the media really hasn't discussed it in the last few days. All I hear is Sarah, sarah, sarah, gustav, gustav, gustav.

The pageantry and spectacle was nice, but was it appropriate for a presidential speech?

The substance - I've heard it many times before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections