Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,744,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I agree with Rick 100%. Many, many kids do not belong in college. Maybe they are not smart enough. Maybe they are too smart for the confinement of college. Maybe they want to work with their hands. Perhaps they would rather build colleges, and hospitals and office buildings...
And anyone can go to a community college. Even if they get loans it is only about $2,000 a semester. If they are poor they can get student aid
So you agree that anyone who thinks that people should go to college is a snob?

I wish that people would stop trying to act as if Mr. Santorum really cares whether or not anyone goes to college. He went to college. I'm willing to bet that his kids will go to college.
I also wish that people would provide some argument as to why having an educated populace, whether via a traditional academic education or trade school is a bad thing.
Because that is exactly what Mr. Santorum appears to be saying.
How will he address the economic situation when employers demand that people have Bachelor's degrees for entry level positions?

Is it really wise to try to make political points using nonsensical arguments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I just saw this clip yesterday, and I am appalled! I dont know if I am more shocked that a highly educated man with TWO advanced degrees(MBA and JD), is a calling the President a snob for wanting kids to have a CHANCE to go to college, OR the fact that the clueless audience was applauding him

And yes, I get it, college is definitely not for everyone. But to just sneer with derision about giving those who want to go to college an opportunity, is beyond the pale. "No audience members, let me go and become well educated, and prosper in Congress, and later in consulting, but bygosh, you dont need an education, just remain ignorant of your opportunities, so that I can continue feeding you this bs pablum
It's what they are counting on.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
Santorium has three degrees...a BA, an MBA and a JD.....he clearly advanced in life because of his degrees and his rise in politics and his defeat in 2006 have led to a lifetime of benefits that only people like him will receive....

for someone who has never worked with his own hands, who hasnt cut a tomatoe, or changed any bed sheets, cleaned a toilet or worked in a manufacturing plant or steel mill like his granddaddy did, he sure is the one who is acting like a freaking snob

but, keep talking rick, and pretty soon, you will be walking back to virginia, where you can continue to collect your big paychecks from the companies you work for and home school your 7 kids...

speaking of his kids, are they going to college, or will they be forced to join the working class at taco bell or walmart?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,340,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I used to think Santorum was just extremely religious and wanted to force his views on others. Now I'm starting to think the man is crazy.
I think a rather large contingent of the republitard party is crazy.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,340,538 times
God, I hope this GOP primary race keeps on going. Please, please, continue all the way to August at which time the party can self-destruct before an audience of millions.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM

111 posts, read 157,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
God, I hope this GOP primary race keeps on going. Please, please, continue all the way to August at which time the party can self-destruct before an audience of millions.

I agree.If these are the best they can offer they not offer much.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is not what anyone here is saying. What is being said is simply: not everyone should or needs to go to college. Yes, the liberal educators do influence our young people too often. When we were in college very few of us even knew the political beliefs of our professors, this has changed. But this has nothing to do with whether kids should attend college and no one here is saying that.
I was commenting on what Rick Santorum said.

“I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely," he said. "The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country.”

I don't know how you know the current political beliefs of professors today, vs decades ago. I knew the political beliefs of a handful of my college professors, but the rest i would only be making an assumption.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,183,184 times
Quote:
that is not what anyone here is saying. What is being said is simply: not everyone should or needs to go to college. Yes, the liberal educators do influence our young people too often. When we were in college very few of us even knew the political beliefs of our professors, this has changed. But this has nothing to do with whether kids should attend college and no one here is saying that.
No, what Insanetorum said was wanting everyone to go to college makes Obama a snob....THAT is what he said....don't ya just "haight" it when politicians are caught using their OWN WORDS!!!????

"""""not everyone should or needs to go to college. Yes, the liberal educators do influence our young people too often. When we were in college very few of us even knew the political beliefs of our professors, this has changed. But this has nothing to do with whether kids should attend college and no one here is saying that"""

Did ya catch your own FLIP FLOP??????

Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
huh? I didn't say anything about what he said and God only knows I am anything but a Santorum supporter. REad some of my responses. My point simply is: college is not for everyone and yes, in the past Obama has said he wants to see more kids in college and more engineers. That is his view and he has a right to it. I am simply saying, there are many young people who will do as well without an education and there are many fields where an education is a waste. I think you have totally missed my point.
and I think you have totally missed Obama's point.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Oh, you missed my point: I was giving it as an example only. I do not think every young person should look into ROtc, it certainly isn't for everyone. The military isn't for everyone, and yes, the cost of education is increasing, probably too fast. I won't tell you why I think this is true. But, for kids who want an education, have the grades and the test scores they can attend college.

Nita
if they also have the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections