Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, everyone should get a degree, huh?

What is appalling is the fact that even with so many "college educated" people with degrees being unemployed, 0b0mba wants to create more of the same.

Here's an idea.....STOP telling EVERY student that they have to go to university, and gear some kids who would rather work with their hands into trades.

BTW....Appalling, not apalling! You must have one of those "degrees". LOL
what's unemployment for those with a degree vs. those without?

I'm not saying a 4 year degree is for literally everyone, but there aren't that many people with one that are unemployed. add 2 year degrees in there, and the unemployment number is even lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is not what anyone here is saying. What is being said is simply: not everyone should or needs to go to college.
What did Obama say? Don't use lies and distortions (like your guy, Santorum), just words straight from Obama.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I can see where everyone in college would fit right in w/ current situation.

Wonder if it has to do w/ all those guaranteed student loans and record debt that no student is likely to escape until death.
is an average of $24,000 in student loan debt really that unescapable?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
BULL, anyone who wants and education can get it, but they may have to sacrafice a little. There are scholarships (many are never used) there are student loans, there are kids who work part time, some even full time and go to school part time. I could go on and on, you want it, you will find a way to get it. If you can't it is because you really don't want it bad enough. How about ROTC for starters?
I like ROTC, but I don't think that should be the required sacrafice for higher education. It has gotten more difficult for a teenager to be able to get a college education - state institutions have been rising in costs at a very fast pace, and are approaching the cost of some private institutions in many cases. That may be ok with many people, but it decreases access.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Wow. Aren't parents supposed to teach their own children? Isn't the Church supposed to teach their members the word of God?
and isn't a college supposed to teach its members how to be smarter? sorry if that doesn't line up with what Santorum's beliefs are, but many people believe in being smarter.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,420 times
Santorium has three degrees...a BA, an MBA and a JD.....he clearly advanced in life because of his degrees and his rise in politics and his defeat in 2006 have led to a lifetime of benefits that only people like him will receive....

for someone who has never worked with his own hands, who hasnt cut a tomatoe, or changed any bed sheets, cleaned a toilet or worked in a manufacturing plant or steel mill like his granddaddy did, he sure is the one who is acting like a freaking snob

but, keep talking rick, and pretty soon, you will be walking back to virginia, where you can continue to collect your big paychecks from the companies you work for and home school your 7 kids...

speaking of his kids, are they going to college, or will they be forced to join the working class at taco bell or walmart?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What did Obama say? Don't use lies and distortions (like your guy, Santorum), just words straight from Obama.
huh? I didn't say anything about what he said and God only knows I am anything but a Santorum supporter. REad some of my responses. My point simply is: college is not for everyone and yes, in the past Obama has said he wants to see more kids in college and more engineers. That is his view and he has a right to it. I am simply saying, there are many young people who will do as well without an education and there are many fields where an education is a waste. I think you have totally missed my point.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I like ROTC, but I don't think that should be the required sacrafice for higher education. It has gotten more difficult for a teenager to be able to get a college education - state institutions have been rising in costs at a very fast pace, and are approaching the cost of some private institutions in many cases. That may be ok with many people, but it decreases access.
Oh, you missed my point: I was giving it as an example only. I do not think every young person should look into ROtc, it certainly isn't for everyone. The military isn't for everyone, and yes, the cost of education is increasing, probably too fast. I won't tell you why I think this is true. But, for kids who want an education, have the grades and the test scores they can attend college.

Nita

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
huh? I didn't say anything about what he said and God only knows I am anything but a Santorum supporter. REad some of my responses. My point simply is: college is not for everyone and yes, in the past Obama has said he wants to see more kids in college and more engineers. That is his view and he has a right to it. I am simply saying, there are many young people who will do as well without an education and there are many fields where an education is a waste. I think you have totally missed my point.
Indians and Chinese are rising for good reasons. Obama sees that, hence the call for greater emphasis on education and parental role towards that direction. Do you?

Given your response, I didn't miss your point. You reiterated the point I caught with your "point" above and then presenting something as your preferred point (which, coincidentally, also happens to be Obama's point as well but you won't acknowledge that... and the point Santorum has lied and distorted... aren't you as well?). Here's relevant quote by Obama:

“The goal isn’t just making sure that somebody has got a certificate or a diploma. The goal is to make sure your degree helps you to get a promotion or a raise or a job. And that’s especially important right now.”
- President Obama

So, it doesn't matter if you like Santorum or not (but are likely to vote for him anyway, if Romney doesn't get thru). As I've repeatedly told other people claiming to be "different", that you quite aren't. So, leave claims aside and stick with what you speak.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Everyone shouldn't go to college.

That said, I agree that Santorum's comments are inappropriate.
Agreed. We have too many people going to college as is. It's not anti-education, it's common sense. Does anybody really think going $50,000 in debt only to end up waiting tables or working as a sales clerk is a good investment? Our society is seeing a lot of this today because there are far more graduates than there are jobs available that need degrees. Unemployment is lower for those with degrees but there is a HUGE under-employment crisis right now for young college graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections