Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,418,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Herman Cain was basically ran off over alleged indiscretions but Newt is given a pass when his dirt is documented...

What's the difference???
I think a factor was Cain was posing as a faithful husband of many years, and he reacted very poorly, from a tactical point of view, when confronted with the allegations of infidelity. So when the stories broke, he came off looking like an incompetent hypocrite.

On the other hand, Gingrich's marital misadventures were already common knowledge. He had already admitted to "making mistakes", and having sought forgiveness from God (the repentance/redemption thing is a BFD with Christians). With the latest allegations, Newt very shamelessly turned the charges to his advantage by attacking the media.

Cain could have easily survived his scandal, if he'd been smarter in the way he handled it. But, if he's not smart enough to handle a crisis, better we should find out now, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,826,347 times
After the Ginger White story broke, the feeling I got was that, there was more from where it came from. Cain was a businessman and the restaurant industry is not a place where he had to be miss goody two-shoes. He must have had plenty of flings and he decided to quit while he still had some dignity left because he must have realized that more women were going to speak up. In short, more women were going to surface as time went by.

In the case of Newt, at least there are no further surprises about the number of women in his life, however despicable his dealings may be with them. While more details can come out about how he treated them, there are no new women and if he plays the Jesus card, like someone pointed out above, he is golden with the Christian Taliban. Why new women is a problem is not because the Christian Taliban cares about family values, but because they don't want to get caught off-guard. As long as you keep the Christian Taliban crowd in the loop about your affairs, they stand by you.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,727,864 times
Christian forgiveness only applies to Conservative, Republican, White males. IIRC, Bush2 was on the edge of alcoholism, was doing drugs and shirking his duties as a pilot for the National Guard right up to the moment he got on his knees and prayed for forgiveness. After that, everything was cool with the evangelicals.

If anyone can name an individual who has been given a pass for their sins by the Christian Conservatives who was not white, conservative, republican and a male, I'd sure like to hear it.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,666,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've wondered the same thing. To be fair Cain himself decided to withdraw, but he did it once he realized he was losing support. Newt on the other hand has gained support after the allegations arose.
Because everyone saw through her pathetic crying act. She is a bitter old hag who can't get over a divorce and move on with her life. It's been 14 years and she continues to cry... Lots of people get divorced, get over it..!
She helped Newt's cause because people are tired of that phony crap...
We care about issues, not long lost loves...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,666,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Christian forgiveness only applies to Conservative, Republican, White males. IIRC, Bush2 was on the edge of alcoholism, was doing drugs and shirking his duties as a pilot for the National Guard right up to the moment he got on his knees and prayed for forgiveness. After that, everything was cool with the evangelicals.

If anyone can name an individual who has been given a pass for their sins by the Christian Conservatives who was not white, conservative, republican and a male, I'd sure like to hear it.
Not a true word in your entire post. /either you made it all up, or repeated someone else who did... God is watching, and he is not happy ....

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,727,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Not a true word in your entire post. /either you made it all up, or repeated someone else who did... God is watching, and he is not happy ....
President George W. Bush stood before a cheering crowd at a Dallas Christian youth centre last week, and told them about being 'born again' as a Christian.
'If you change their heart, then they change their behaviour. I know,' he said, referring to his own conversion, which led to him giving up drinking.

Bush says God chose him to lead his nation | World news | The Observer

Bush has described his days before his religious conversion in his 40s as his "nomadic" period and "irresponsible youth" and admitted to drinking "too much" in those years. In Fortunate Son: George W. Bush and the Making of an American President by James Hatfield, Bush is quoted as saying that "alcohol began to compete with my energies ... I'd lose focus". Although Bush states that he was not an alcoholic, he has acknowledged that he was "drinking too much".Nicholas D. Kristof quotes Bush's cousin Elsie Walker as saying, "He was a riot. But afterward, when you're older, that can wear thin", and gives the example of Bush asking a "proper" female friend of his parents at a family cocktail party, "So, what's sex like after 50, anyway?"In December 1966 (age 20), he was arrested for disorderly conduct after he and some friends had "a few beers" and stole a Christmas wreath from a hotel The charges were later dropped.
On September 4, 1976 (age 30), Bush was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol near his family's summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine. He admitted his guilt, was fined US$150, and had his driving license in the state suspended for two years, although the White House had claimed 30 days. This incident did not become public knowledge until it was reported by Erin Fehlau of Maine FOX affiliate WPXT-TV in the week before the 2000 election.The most notorious episode, reported in numerous diverse sources including U.S. News & World Report on November 1, 1999, Secrecy & Privilege: Rise of the Bush Dynasty from Watergate to Iraq by Robert Parry, First Son: George W. Bush and the Bush Family Dynasty by Bill Minutaglio, and W: Revenge of the Bush Dynasty by Elizabeth Mitchell, has 26-year-old Bush visiting his parents in Washington, D.C. over the Christmas vacation in 1972, shortly after the death of his grandfather, and taking his 16-year-old brother Marvin out drinking. On the way home Bush lost control of the car and ran over a waste container, but continued home with the garbage can wedged noisily under the car. When his father, George H. W. Bush, called him on the carpet for not only his own behavior but for exposing his younger brother to risk, George W., still under the influence, appears to have retorted angrily, "I hear you're looking for me. You wanna go mano-a-mano right here?

In Fortunate Son, Bush biographer Hatfield quoted several anonymous sources regarding allegations of Bush's cocaine use. Hatfield reported that Bush had been arrested for cocaine possession in 1972 and that his father pulled strings to have records of the arrest expunged. Bush campaign spokesperson Mindy Tucker called the allegation "absolutely untrue". Bush repeatedly refused to state whether he had ever used cocaine Bush did say in 1999 that he could truthfully answer "no" to the then-standard FBI background check question of whether he had used any illegal drug in the last seven years. He later stated that he could have passed a background check under a policy that his father had instituted as President in 1989 that extended the background check to 15 years. This would have checked back to 1974, two years after the alleged 1972 arrest.

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-23-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 PM

17,468 posts, read 13,028,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree, 3-Shepherds.
Mitt will definitely be Idaho's guy. I believe he will also do very well all over the west. I think he will also do very well in Arkansas, Missouri, and some other mid-west states as well.

Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, California, Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon all have a lot of Mormons, and Mitt has been their choice over Huntsman since the first. More importantly, Mitt is more in line with the west's general conservatism than Newt or Paul. Santorum, if he lasts that long, will get no traction out here.

Ron Paul got a lot of attention in S. Idaho in 2008, but I haven't seen any of his signs this year. In '08, the Paul signs were out very early. Between Paul and Romney, I think Romney is going to get almost all of the folks down here who wanted Paul in '08.

Mitt is to the Mormons as John Kennedy was to the Catholics. It was once thought to be impossible for a Catholic to be elected as President, and Kennedy was a wealthy, good-looking, and popular. Mitt shares those qualities. The Mormons, just like the Catholics, now yearn for the same political legitimacy that an elected President brings to their religion.
Can't agree more with your last paragragh, I believe your right.
Try taking Hwy 55 up to Lewiston to Moscow, all the way you'll see Ron Paul.
There's a business in Horseshoe Bend, the guy bought these
huge signs, "VOTE for Ron Paul"

So, it may shift again and be Paul & Romney. I think, they should keep the battle going, it's good to see just who will be able to debate Obama, on his policies.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Newt said he found jesus where Cain did not. Just gotta pull the jesus card and everything is ok.
Thought Cain, was a minister??

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I think a factor was Cain was posing as a faithful husband of many years, and he reacted very poorly, from a tactical point of view, when confronted with the allegations of infidelity. So when the stories broke, he came off looking like an incompetent hypocrite.

On the other hand, Gingrich's marital misadventures were already common knowledge. He had already admitted to "making mistakes", and having sought forgiveness from God (the repentance/redemption thing is a BFD with Christians). With the latest allegations, Newt very shamelessly turned the charges to his advantage by attacking the media.

Cain could have easily survived his scandal, if he'd been smarter in the way he handled it. But, if he's not smart enough to handle a crisis, better we should find out now, don't you think?
I'd like to know where those women are now, they just vanished. I believe, he just wasn't the right black man, Cain even said it. I liked him, wish he could've lasted longer.

Then he and Obama could've had a singing contest

Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,319,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
How do you know if the flying spaghetti monster is happy or not?

What is the "sign" that you get, telling you that he (she?) is not happy?

Just curious......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections