Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,589,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Of course this is important.

The president is the symbol for this country, not a joke.
That has not been true since Clinton was elected in 1992. And Obama is the biggest joke this country has ever seen. An Affirmative Action Community Organizer as President? Obviously the electorate was not serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM

175 posts, read 298,049 times
I don't normally read political forums, I was on the main page and saw this thread in the little scroll box, and here's my two sense/cents (LOL)...

First, Marriage is, basically, rules that you voluntarily sign up for, right? I mean, no one said you HAD to marry anyone. But if you voluntarily sign up for that set of rules, what makes you think they don't apply to you? You don't get to be married and single, in a non-monogamous monogamous relationship?...otherwise, why have "marriage" at all? What does that mean to the rest of us who volunteered for our own set of promises and rules and actually stick to them? I mean, if you're going to cheat in a marriage, you aren't just signing up for a lie, you are asking everyone around you to participate in that lie too.

And secondly, marriage is generally an easy decision...either you want it all or you don't. So, if he can't keep to a set of promises he VOLUNTEERED for, what makes anyone so sure he can keep any promises he HAS to keep? Like laws, or oaths of office, or campaign promises?

He couldn't keep a promise to his wife, that he supposedly knew and loved. He doesn't know or love any of us.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM

7,984 posts, read 7,413,247 times
Personally, I think a lot of the viewpoint in this debate is colored by whether you've had experience of adultery in your life - if you were the one scorned (cheated on), the one who did the cheating, or the one cheated with.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,846,576 times
I don't think infedelity is the end of the world. I just recall that while Gingrich was spending tax payer money trying to destroy Clinton, he was doing the same thing himself. The guy is a flaming hypocrite.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM

24,591 posts, read 33,528,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't think infedelity is the end of the world. I just recall that while Gingrich was spending tax payer money trying to destroy Clinton, he was doing the same thing himself. The guy is a flaming hypocrite.
The tax money would not have been spent if only Clinton had told the truth.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 AM

23,506 posts, read 29,453,869 times
Perhaps the blame should be leveled at his wives, who may have a Hillary Clinton flavor to them:

"Don't kiss me, don't hug me, don't wink at me, don't you dare ever jump into my bed, don't ever stand in front of me naked, don't call me sweetie or honey pie, and I'll arrange all your sexual liasons for you!"

"I wanna be a First Lady, I wanna be a First Lady, whatever the price!!!"

Old 01-25-2012, 07:16 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,238,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Why was he being asked about his sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky in the first place? She was not alleging any harassment, and, prior to the setup, no law was broken.

Republicans were trying to take him down politically by any way possible (whitewater, Paula Jones, etc.), and perjury was the only thing that stuck which could be used as a pretext for impeachment (don't claim there was anything else - if there was stronger case then that would have been used as impeachment grounds instead of the Lewinsky perjury).

Totally inappropriate to make a big deal about it, then and now. The moral grandstanding from politicians is disgusting, not only because so many of them are hypocrites, but that it does not address the needs of the country, which is what they were elected to do.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Look of the Starr Commission, it spent YEARS trying to find scandals on the Clintons, from Whitewater onward. Clinton lied, and he was impeached for it, but Newt tried very hard to paint Clinton as an immoral swine. With some success too. The only person who came out looking good from that debacle was Larry Flynt, who offered money for the first hypocrite he could find. And it was no less than the Speaker of the House!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Clinton was impeached on three of the four Articles against him: Perjury, Obstruction of Justice, and Tampering with Evidence. Any one of those felonies comes with up to 15 years in a federal prison upon conviction.

With regard to Iran-Contra, there was no law violated. The Boland Amendment prohibited the President from using appropriated funds to fund the Contras. President Reagan used the proceeds from an arms sale to Israel (which ended up in the hands of Iranian Reformers) to fund the Contras, which were not appropriated funds. If a President does not violate the law, there can be no impeachment. IC Walsh completely exonerated President Reagan in the Iran-Contra affair.

Extramarital affairs are meaningless, until you start committing felonies in order to cover them up.
I don't agree with this. I would not have voted for Clinton again. He was brilliant, but an embarrassment. Obama and Romney are not. Gingrich is, big time. Ask John Edwards if it matters..

Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,078,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, but they were the only party dredging it up every election. Looks like family values will have to skip an election this year. Actually they haven't been digging it up for a few elections in the last years.

And for good reason: it was bullhockey all along.
Yes. I am really shocked at how that good southern audience(in that last debate) applauded Newt's nasty comments, attacking the questioner rather than explaining his actions.

They are such hypocrites. How do they live with themselves, pretending to be so religious and moral and then reacting like such low lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections