Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Wrong.

What Republican presidency racked up $4T in debt in 3 years and could boast Obama's historically high unemployment numbers? Hint: None.
And which Republican presidency in recent memory began with an economy that was losing 500,000 to 750,000 jobs every month? Which Republican presidency in recent memory began with credit markets so frozen that they have required nearly three to four consecutive years of record-low interest rates to keep credit available to consumers? Which Republican presidency began with oil having hit record prices in the six months prior to inauguration? Which Republican presidency in recent memory began with two foreign wars costing several hundred billion dollars every year already well in progress, with one of those wars being widely acknowledged as a serious foreign policy error? Maybe a little perspective would be appropriate, right?

The good news is that despite all of the above, the U.S. economy has added jobs to the private sector during most of Obama's administration. The good news is that unemployment has gradually been moving in the opposite direction. So, let's keep things in balance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Don't worry, if Obama wins another term you'll have another Carter term, which is one of those great Democrat presidencies you pine for.
Take the blinders off. Stop being a bitter partisan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,287,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
A few Mormons will drink decaf coffee, but they can certainly have herbal teas. Just because I invited Katzpur to have a cup of coffee with me doesn't mean that I'd expect her to drink espresso, although that might be my own choice. I'm a staunch believer in the separation of church and state, so it saddens me that Romney will lose votes due to his religion instead of his platform. I've had some life experience with discrimination and find it deplorable when it happens to almost anyone, although I'd probably be wary of an open Satanist.
Totally off topic, but here's the story behind Mormons and caffeine.

Mormon founder Joseph Smith used to have his buddies over frequently for coffee and cigars. His wife got tired of cleaning up the big mess they'd make spilling coffee and dropping ashes all over the house, so she forbade him from drinking coffee and smoking in the house.

Well, it's hard to act like a big religious leader when you don't call the shots in your own home, so Mr. Smith saved face by announcing that he'd had a vision that Mormons weren't to drink coffee or smoke.

The original edict dealt specifically with coffee, but in modern times it's been re-interpreted to include all caffeinated beverages and considered a healthy living issue.

And, quite frankly, it's mostly ignored.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,768,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Popularity will matter in the election, but his popularity has nothing to do with how effective he has or hasn't been. Popularity is whimsical, and it depends entirely upon how a president is perceived to be doing. Most people in this country have proven to me that they have a very limited knowledge and understanding of history, economics, governmental policy, and foreign affairs, and they generally have only a cursory knowledge of the issues that they're debating. I'm not saying I'm a know it all, either, but I have generally found that people who are the most passionate about economics (the debt, for example) really don't understand what they're talking about.

Take the debt, for example. How many times over the past two years have we heard about how important it is to slash government spending? How many times have we heard about the national credit and the debt ceiling? How many times have we been warned about inflation?

Well the debt has swollen, and yet I don't see prices going up substantially -- do you? Sure, when the price of oil goes up on speculation, the price of everything else goes up with it. But that has nothing to do with Fed policy. There's no Fed inflation right no to speak of. In fact, retailers in the 4th quarter continue price cutting, not price hiking. This is merely one example. There are more examples to show that the people, the average guy who craps on about the national debt and returning to the gold standard really don't have any f*cking clue what they're talking about. But since they heard it from Ron Paul or Fox Business News or CNBC, it must be true.

What we need now are policies that favor the working class and the middle class. That means a freeze in taxes for the middle class and continued benefits for the working poor, and gradually higher taxes for those who have more resources. If Americans are dumb enough to vote for the same people who put us into a subprime mortgage scam bubble, then we deserve whatever misery we get. Hopefully the rest of us who don't vote for such idiocy will be buffered from the consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Would you care to explain which 'prescriptions' you're referring to, and then please be my guest and explain how they're bringing Europe to the brink of economic collapse.

What's bringing Europe to its knees isn't taxation or government spending; it's debt in the banking sector. Sound familiar? Maybe not if you've been living in a cave the last few years.
I have a question for you ... Or a few actually ...

If you became completely broke because you spend more money than you make, would you go out and get a loan so you can buy a mortgage on an even bigger house and so you can trade your old car for a new lease on a brand new car ... ? And when the money from that loan ran out would you go out and get another loan and by a second mortgage with a second lease car?

Pretending for a moment that a bank would lend you money if you were broke to make such irresponsible purchases, consider this ... Once the banks stopped lending you money because you couldn't even pay the interest on the loans you have already taken out, what would happen?

My next question to you is, can you prove how America is actually producing more than it is spending without resorting to cooked statistics? Can you show me where in the market the gains are being made at a rate faster than the losses?

Can you explain why the price of Gas and Food has increased over a hundred percent in the last year alone? Can you explain why Gold is continuing to gain?

You know why you don't see inflation in most areas of the market? Because of price controlling ...

You do realize that price controlling and government manipulation of the market in order to cook the books and artificially keep markets from correcting is what causes bubbles just like the one that burst in 08', right?

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-04-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,814,465 times
Exclamation Possible Voter Fraud in Wapello County, IA

No recount for Wapello County caucus » Local News » The Ottumwa Courier

What did I say? This whole thing is rigged against Paul.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,019,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

Mormon founder Joseph Smith used to have his buddies over frequently for coffee and cigars. His wife got tired of cleaning up the big mess they'd make spilling coffee and dropping ashes all over the house, so she forbade him from drinking coffee and smoking in the house.

Well, it's hard to act like a big religious leader when you don't call the shots in your own home, so Mr. Smith saved face by announcing that he'd had a vision that Mormons weren't to drink coffee or smoke.

The original edict dealt specifically with coffee, but in modern times it's been re-interpreted to include all caffeinated beverages and considered a healthy living issue.

That story is funny and believable; thanks for the update, duster. I invited Katzpur to have coffee and discuss what it's like to be attacked regularly at C-D and was called on it by another poster. An old and dear friend is LDS and used to adhere to the "no caffeine" edict, but it's never stopped us from having a glass or two of wine.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,967,091 times
Ahh, I was waiting for this kind of whining from the Paulbots.

You were robbed! Now go do something about it! Post more threads, anything!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,207,483 times
Wow, if it helps, count those dozen or so ballots that were NOT cast according to the rules. There, feel better?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
That story is funny and believable; thanks for the update, duster. I invited Katzpur to have coffee and discuss what it's like to be attacked regularly at C-D and was called on it by another poster. An old and dear friend is LDS and used to adhere to the "no caffeine" edict, but it's never stopped us from having a glass or two of wine.
Actually, it may be funny and it may even be believable. It's just not quite accurate. But since, as duster already acknowledged, the story is "totally off topic," I'll not bother to post the correct version (which is similar in some respects to his).

I actually have met some of the Salt Lake City C-D posters down at Starbucks in the past. Some of us have coffee; some don't. I don't, and I absolutely can't stand the stuff. As far as the wine goes, I wouldn't have a glass of it either, but I would probably be really jealous because I do like wine very much. Instead, I'd have my staple -- a Diet Coke.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,438,221 times
If they gave Paul all of the ballots cast in the county he still would have come in third.From the article it appears some people didn't follow the directions....I assume not all were Paul supporters.

The Paul supporters need to make a choice,you either believe your guy has enough support to be elected and votes matter........or the whole thing is rigged and voting is pointless.You can't have it one way if he wins but cry foul when he doesn't.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,967,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
If they gave Paul all of the ballots cast in the county he still would have come in third.From the article it appears some people didn't follow the directions....I assume not all were Paul supporters.

The Paul supporters need to make a choice,you either believe your guy has enough support to be elected and votes matter........or the whole thing is rigged and voting is pointless.You can't have it one way if he wins but cry foul when he doesn't.
Your mistake is presuming you're dealing with rational people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections