Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times

Advertisements

The newer subdivisions are being built with tiny lots, the country atmosphere of the Upper Valley is coming to a fast end. You might just as well live close to work because there will be no advantage to living in the UV with the traffic jams and crowded neighborhoods and tiny back yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,141,019 times
That is assuming you have to live in a newly constructed house and you work the standard 9 to 5 work day.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,032,076 times
Upper Valley is nice and it seems there's new homes being built closer and closer to Trans Mountain Rd. Me and the wifey went looking when she was down last week. We're going to try a new construction but man on the other side of I-10 on a new looking highway towards NM there's some nice homes being built by Padilla Homes. Just wished it was a bit more west to take advantage of the NM taxes. But that might be stretching my commute to work since I work on the far East side on Montana. But that new hood called Alta Valle Del Sol is nice and you can go into atleast 5 of the new homes and go in and look without anyone bothering you which feels wierd. First I must sell my home back hom and try to save some coin to get as many upgrades as possible.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,857 times
Default Look for...

...a house with good drainage around the foundation of the house...seriously. We rudely discovered that as our house has settled, we get too much water accumulation around our house. We have had to jury rig a pump and hose system every monsoon season to drain parts of our yard until we figure out and can afford a way to drain off the excess water.

Oh, and check the mortar in any rock wall around your house. We have a huge one in our backyard and discovered that as they went up the wall, the mortar became less cement and more sand. Visually, you can tell when it starts to look more like sand...really granular vs. smoother where there is more cement. We spent a nice amount of $ to have ours "regrouted" because I could literally just poke my finger through the "cement". Our neighbor spent about $10,000 to replace his wall in '06 after it collapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Upper Valley is nice and it seems there's new homes being built closer and closer to Trans Mountain Rd. Me and the wifey went looking when she was down last week. We're going to try a new construction but man on the other side of I-10 on a new looking highway towards NM there's some nice homes being built by Padilla Homes. Just wished it was a bit more west to take advantage of the NM taxes. But that might be stretching my commute to work since I work on the far East side on Montana. But that new hood called Alta Valle Del Sol is nice and you can go into atleast 5 of the new homes and go in and look without anyone bothering you which feels wierd. First I must sell my home back hom and try to save some coin to get as many upgrades as possible.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,032,076 times
Quick question, but why does every house in El Paso have a rock wall? Isn't a wood fence (that's found every where else) better and cheaper? Plus a wood fence is usually 6ft high and not the usual 4ft high that I see everywhere. Plus a wood fence will last for quite awhile and will only cost 2k to replace if done by a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
...a house with good drainage around the foundation of the house...seriously. We rudely discovered that as our house has settled, we get too much water accumulation around our house. We have had to jury rig a pump and hose system every monsoon season to drain parts of our yard until we figure out and can afford a way to drain off the excess water.

Oh, and check the mortar in any rock wall around your house. We have a huge one in our backyard and discovered that as they went up the wall, the mortar became less cement and more sand. Visually, you can tell when it starts to look more like sand...really granular vs. smoother where there is more cement. We spent a nice amount of $ to have ours "regrouted" because I could literally just poke my finger through the "cement". Our neighbor spent about $10,000 to replace his wall in '06 after it collapsed.

Do what?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:24 PM

I think here the wood would dry out and the spring winds can be rough on wood panel fences. Rock wall fences can be very strong and durable but of course it depends on how well they are built.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 PM

730 posts, read 1,896,857 times
Default My theory

I think you are right about wood fences, but my personal theory is-there are so many rocks at every building site it is easier to build a wall out of it rather than hauling it away. Of course, I think the end product of low cost labor and squeezing money out of the process is badly built rock walls. They look strong, but watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think here the wood would dry out and the spring winds can be rough on wood panel fences. Rock wall fences can be very strong and durable but of course it depends on how well they are built.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
Mosquitos? There's a bad mosquito problem? I am moving from an area with a log bug count.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBelles View Post
Mosquitos? There's a bad mosquito problem? I am moving from an area with a log bug count.
The Upper Valley has West Nile and the mosquitoes are unbelievable. The only thing is if you want to keep the bird and bat population healthy and hear the sounds of frogs at night, it's best to leave the mosquitoes alone. Parts of the Upper Valley are like living in a swamp but it's green and it's horse country.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,866,832 times
I would not live in the Upper Valley without Refrig. Air. The swamp coolers just don't do work anymore up there. Also, mosquitoes are more of a problem there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso