Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 149,317 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 children and I are planning on moving to El Paso. I was hoping to get some good feedback on what areas of El Paso would be good to live. I have a sales background and I speak spanish/english, it looks to me as if the job market for sales is " fair ", would that be a good assumption? My wife is from Mexico and I lived there for a year and we go back every year. I absolutely love Mexican people. I am hoping for some good advise if someone could spare some time to let me know. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilingual white dude View Post
My wife, 2 children and I are planning on moving to El Paso. I was hoping to get some good feedback on what areas of El Paso would be good to live. I have a sales background and I speak spanish/english, it looks to me as if the job market for sales is " fair ", would that be a good assumption? My wife is from Mexico and I lived there for a year and we go back every year. I absolutely love Mexican people. I am hoping for some good advise if someone could spare some time to let me know. Thank you
I am also actively pursuing relocation into the El Paso area like you. You have a big leg-up on me with the language thing, and for that you should be commended!

The areas I am focusing on are:

-West Side or Upper Valley:

These are the more "pricey" areas of El Paso (from where I am used to living, still very affordable) and thought of as some of the more upper-end, desirable areas to live in. The West Side includes the portions with UTEP, and Mesa is one of the more "hip", happening roads in EP in terms of restaurants, bars, etc.

The Upper Valley is a bit more "green" and tree-laden, etc., due to its proximity closer to the Rio Grande.

Both are statistically quite safe and have some good private schools close by.

-The East Side:

This is a more middle-class area but one I really like. To me, it feels a bit more like authentic El Paso. It is also - on the far eastern fringes - the rapidly growing area of EP, as the most land is available to grow east.

Housing here can be wildly affordable with new construction readily available. Access is good. Still statistically quite safe. I think I like the East Side of El Paso even more than the West Side, even though one of my better friends in the EP area is a Westsider and swears by it. I really like areas around Yarborough, Pebble Hills, Lee Trevino, etc.

My wife's grandmother lives on the East Side and we all like it there. I walk there after dark commonly and never have had a problem with crime, etc. Lots of friendly folks.

-Horizon City:

This is a newer, rapidly growing suburb of El Paso about 10 minutes east of EP's east side, although the two are growing together. Much of the same appeal of EP's east side can be said for Horizon City, although many long-time EPoans act like Horizon City is a world away! For a guy where commuting 45 minutes isn't that big of a deal in bigger cities, Horizon City is a great alternative - only a 10 minute drive from the east side of El Paso (20 minutes from Downtown) - but kind of separated from the "big city"...housing is wildly affordable, new, and nice overall in HC. Just seems like not a huge variety of restaurants, entertainment, etc., yet, so probably would spend a little more in gas $$ going to EP.

Also, Horizon City is a hare higher in altitude than EP is, so if you like slightly cooler, HC is the way to go.

I would probably be personally staying away from Central EP and the Lower Valley. 6'3" - a longtime poster here who used to live in EP - really likes the NE portion of EP (by Ft. Bliss) and while I probably wouldn't do that area either, he likes it alot and may be able to give a better depiction of the area. But for me, I am focusing on the East Side, West Side, Upper Valley, or Horizon City areas, and think you might like checking out all of the four as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Wow thank you for the quick reply! I would like to ask you some more questions if it is ok . But I need to cruise to work. Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Wow thank you for the quick reply! I would like to ask you some more questions if it is ok .
No problem, any time. I am in the same boat as you with trying to get relocated to El Paso, so sometimes it is helpful to hear of a similar persons' experiences!

I have visited El Paso now for years over 20 times in extended stays and have friends and family in the area, and really am anxious to try to join the community. I think from your background you'll be absolutely fine there.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,378 times
Hey come on central ain't bad at all! I don't see why people like to contribute to urban sprawl by living way out on the edges of the city. Unless you work way out there.. the neighborhoods springing up on the outskirts are exactly what has contributed to the de-emphasis on the urban center and the dependence on the automobile. I find this way of life somewhat disturbing.. <rant over>

The central area does have some nice neighborhoods and a few transitional ones. This is the heart of the city meaning the homes are much older to what you'd find anywhere else in the city. I debate what people call westside or northeast. My definition of central is bounded to the north by Glory Rd on the western side of the mountain and altura/fort st on the eastern side. Central is bounded to the west by I-10 and bounded to the east by the airport/refinery.

Nice neighborhoods:
Kern Place
Manhattan Heights
Austin Terrace
Golden Hills

Transitional neighborhoods:
Sunset Heights
Union plaza
San Francisco dist

Places I'd recommend for a family:
Kern Place
Manhattan Heights
Austin Terrace
Sunset Heights

Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Sorry Holmes, I was not trying to give Central the shaft! I admittedly am the least familiar in the whole region with Central EP as none of my family or friends live there and I have not had a chance to explore it all too much, also, I always get heeds of "warning" from folks such as realtors, etc., to avoid Central. So I was just giving the OP kind of where I was coming from, being in a similar position to him.

But hey, you've definitely given some great info here and I will have to give the areas you recommend a much more thorough looking at! Mega thanks...hey, more options, closer to Downtown and in between the city, that works for me!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,378 times
Hehe, it's cool. I do recognize there are other areas in central that aren't the best, which is why I only listed those that are practical to someone in the OP's position. I'm curious though. Did(Do) you live out in the 'burbs in Milwaukee? Living in a more urban area isn't for everyone, but I do wish the locals here wouldn't dismiss it so easily.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
Hehe, it's cool. I do recognize there are other areas in central that aren't the best, which is why I only listed those that are practical to someone in the OP's position. I'm curious though. Did(Do) you live out in the 'burbs in Milwaukee? Living in a more urban area isn't for everyone, but I do wish the locals here wouldn't dismiss it so easily.
Here in Milwaukee, I do live in a suburb. But it is an "inner ring" suburb meaning, I literally could be in Milwaukee's city limits within a two mile drive. Also, it is a little different here, as I would equate this city-metro set up more akin to Chicago's (where I believe you said you are very familiar) but on a much smaller scale of course (MKE metro 1.7 million only). Meaning, there are like 35 viable suburbs directly connected either to Milwaukee itself or to other suburbs - eg: I am only a ten minute drive to the heart of downtown Milwaukee, even though I am in a "suburb".

But I am with you too...if the circumstances are right, I would be very pro living in the heart of the urban core. In Albuquerque, I lived squarely in the city of Albuquerque.

All of the cities are so different in how they are set up. The reason I don't live "in Milwaukee" itself here is that for the most part, the city itself is now only for a) the very affluent, or b) very crime-ridden areas...pretty much only rich or poor. For those in the middle class, it is tough to find a desirable, safe neighborhood that isn't wildly unaffordable. In Albuquerque (and El Paso) thankfully that isn't the case...you can actually live closer in in the city.

My criteria in choosing a house in El Paso will be this: a) Affordable nice housing, b) safe, family-oriented area. So I am completely open to anywhere that meets that criteria and will absolutely and totally look into the Central areas you recommend.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
It sounds like you might prefer the more Mexican neighborhoods -- Central, South, Lower Valley, much of the East side would be more Spanish speaking and to your liking.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Hey thank you! And all the rest of you guys who have given me some good info! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso