Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilingual white dude View Post
Is car theft a real big issue? I mean to the point you would need a car alarm and one of those locks that go over the steering wheel? Homes and apartments getting burglarized, is this a huge concern?
It depends on the vehicle you're driving. You can drive some cars and not be too worried -- but a whole lot of people here have had a vehicle stolen. It's pretty incredible how many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Property crime is bad here --- you can get a pretty good idea of that by all the iron bars on windows and doors.

In some neighborhoods, every house has installed bars over every window and door -- but there are neighborhoods where you see less of that.

If you drive a 4x4 truck or SUV then you need to be pretty paranoid about it -- and people do use steering wheel locks, alarms and other anti-theft devices. It doesn't have to be a very new vehicle either. There have been in increase in carjackings -- but usually they just steal the vehicle when you aren't around.

The good thing is -- the murder rate here is mostly limited to domestic violence and gang violence with other gangs. There isn't too much "stranger" violence or murder.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
EnjoyEP.. I can hardly wait for you to live here.

This Drum you beat as loud as you can all the time on the low Violent crime is, is getting old. I can tell you don't live here or you would know how false that statement really is.

Also expect the crime stats to change dramatically in the next 2-5 years.

Example.. made the news even.. Teenager killed at Party in N.E. El Paso. 5 teens lured the one into an Apartment and killed him. ( N.E. El Paso )

Gang Violence is on the rise, and turf battles are a nightly seen now.. So quick pack your stuff EnjoyEP and get down here so you can see this for yourself.. since you seem to think I am full of Bull Poopy.
And the bridge security guard was killed (Cruz Vite) -- beat to death right on the bridge and they aren't counting that one as a homicide. That one happened after the first of the year and they are only counting the teenager killed at that party as the first homicide of 2008.

I wonder what that's about -- some homicides apparently are not being counted in with the years' totals.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,378 times
And now for a little humor about the different parts of town in el paso:

Big Sellers in El Paso, Texas - Newspaper Tree El Paso

Old 01-20-2008, 08:55 PM

31 posts, read 149,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Property crime is bad here --- you can get a pretty good idea of that by all the iron bars on windows and doors.

In some neighborhoods, every house has installed bars over every window and door -- but there are neighborhoods where you see less of that.

If you drive a 4x4 truck or SUV then you need to be pretty paranoid about it -- and people do use steering wheel locks, alarms and other anti-theft devices. It doesn't have to be a very new vehicle either. There have been in increase in carjackings -- but usually they just steal the vehicle when you aren't around.

The good thing is -- the murder rate here is mostly limited to domestic violence and gang violence with other gangs. There isn't too much "stranger" violence or murder.
I own a pretty average car but I think I will get one of those steering wheel locks just in case. Thanks malamute

Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilingual white dude View Post
I own a pretty average car but I think I will get one of those steering wheel locks just in case. Thanks malamute

An average car is not at a lot of risk here -- some but a steering wheel lock helps cut even that.

Here's a timely article -- not for here but it explains the problem:

Rugged Ford pickups stolen to smuggle drugs, humans | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
An average car is not at a lot of risk here -- some but a steering wheel lock helps cut even that.

Here's a timely article -- not for here but it explains the problem:

Rugged Ford pickups stolen to smuggle drugs, humans | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
Interesting article... I guess I wont ever be buying a big truck or an SUV. : (

Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
That was an interesting article, Malamute. Another twist in the Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy debate.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
That was an interesting article, Malamute. Another twist in the Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy debate.
I don't really believe it -- I think any big 4x4 is at some risk. Especially USA made.

You can have them here -- but it's better to garage them or keep them in a fence. A former neighbor had his 3rd big truck stolen and was furious because his insurance went sky high -- the insurance company told him he had to pay more because he drove vehicles that thieves obviously wanted.

You see a lot of trucks being driven so it's not something everyone worries too much about.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM

Maybe a Geo metro may not be a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso